Car stolen! Asshoes removed the vin plate

Page 2 / 2
bobinnz, Sep 27, 2:19pm
Even for a private sale?
With State?

curlcrown, Sep 27, 2:27pm
I've had many towing jobs done for under $100, I can get a car transported hundreds of Km for $500, they are taking the p1$$.

bobinnz, Sep 27, 2:38pm
Agree! Wellington to auckland is cheaper!

kazbanz, Sep 27, 2:48pm
$500 for towing within a city is utter rubbish.
Unless theres also storage fees for a fair lenth of time on top.
MAXIMUM I'd expect to pay is $200 and that's for a difficult tow.
I would be wanting to see on what basis its $500
Getting a replacement VIN plate isn't a super difficult process but you need the police report and proof of ownership.Usually the VIN is engraved on the back window.
Can you tell us the Year/make/model/color of the car.
I think we can offer advice to help clean the vehicle up for you

gazzat22, Sep 27, 3:02pm
Third party/fire and Theft is cheap,very cheap!

bobinnz, Sep 27, 3:08pm
And that helps how?

smallwoods, Sep 27, 4:54pm
You seem shy to expose the make and model?
If you have other cars insured with the one company, they normally will cover a new purchase for a short time.
State does for us, a we have 5 cars/utes with them, plus house and contents.

toenail, Sep 27, 6:45pm
Read your policy. I'm with NZ1.

bobinnz, Sep 27, 7:17pm
I fail to see how make and model is relevant! Nissan Sentra. State would not cover even though they had the premium for the Mitsi Challenger that was traded for it! I am with state and have never had problems with them except for a 125 mx bike stolen out of the garage, Do you need any other info to tell me approx how much it will cost to have a new vin plate affixed?

toenail, Sep 27, 8:32pm
I have compared the fine prints, State provides no cover, AMI provides 7 days cover (for replacement car only, not an additional car), both owned by IAG.

I guess that's why State is cheap.

Buyer beaware, not all insurance cover is the same. You get what you pay for in most cases.

mazalinas, Sep 27, 10:06pm
The form doesn't say the cost but you could email or phone to find out.
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/32875/vin-approval-form.pdf

mk3crazy, Sep 27, 10:53pm
I know what it’s like to have your car 🚙 stolen. I know to most people it’s only a Ford or a Cortina and I definitely know there is a lot of hateful people on here but that Cortina a Mk3 was special to me. Lot’s of work done to it lot’s of money spent, new paint 302w c4 and a lot of other mods.

kazbanz, Sep 28, 9:52am
because we are trying to help you !
With the year /make / model/color we could offer advice not only on the cost to get a VIN tag reissued ($100 and 1 working week incidently)
But be able to suggest how to restore the car the most economical way.

nice_lady, Sep 28, 7:27pm
Last car we bought Hubby purchased it privately on a Sunday in Aucks. Paid for it on the spot with an immediate bank transfer and insured it at the same time BEFORE he drove away in it. Wouldn't even consider driving uninsured. Sorry for the drama you guys are having. Theres bad people out there and being uninsured is unfortunate to say the least.

mk3crazy, Oct 11, 12:35pm
👍 I had my 302w Mk3 Cortina stolen too.

curlcrown, Oct 11, 2:47pm
In my case I was told that I would have to pay for towing if I wanted forensics done, maybe that is not the norm, I can only comment on my own case. They would not tell me how much it would cost and I have heard many horror stories of people being charged a price about 5 times higher than what would be expected.

framtech, Nov 8, 1:00pm
we need grand thief auto here, not car conversion, soft on crime in NZ.