Classic car hidden costs?

Page 1 / 2
v0rtrex, Feb 12, 3:30pm
I'm considering buying something from the 70's made in the US with 8 cylinders (much to the disgust of my wife) and aside from the obvious i.e fuel/insurance/repairs & maintenance, what other costs are there of owning a 50 year old car? I realize it depends upon make/model and $$ spent but just after a general idea of actual costs. cheers.

socram, Feb 12, 3:58pm
How long is a piece of string?

Basically, if you have already factored in fuel/insurance/repairs and maintenance which will also cover consumables, brake linings, tyres etc, I suppose most depends on what sort of mileage you are going to cover.

I've no experience of US V8's, but from what I have read, one of the biggest issues affecting classic cars is the petrol, as those components don't like ethanol. Rubber fuel lines and even carburettor gaskets for example.

The other issue these days is how fast you go through brake pads/linings now that asbestos is banned. Shocked that my wife's car which is only really used locally, needed new rear disc pads at 15,000kms and that is now considered normal.

From what I can gather, spares availability from the States for popular US V8's is pretty good.

You haven't said whether you are buying local or importing. I'd suggest the former makes more sense on the basis of less hassle.

brouser3, Feb 12, 4:27pm
MMake sure somebody reputable checks it out in real life. Don't take the word of the seller in good faith. Many have and been faced with a massive bill to get it roadworthy for NZ standards Some just get 'parted out' the repairs needed to great. There is no universal road safety standard requirement there so buyer beware

realtrader1, Feb 12, 4:49pm
Where? On many issues it depends on the particular State.

gph1961, Feb 12, 5:11pm
string is cut to length as required

lovelurking, Feb 12, 5:25pm
Divorce would be the biggest hidden cost by far. 😘🤣

kazbanz, Feb 12, 5:49pm
rust rust rust rust--ohh did I mention--rust.
That and general rot--ie non metal parts
Not being a smart alec but that's my biggest concern.

tamarillo, Feb 12, 6:27pm
If it’s a fault well known beast such as mustang parts are cheap and plentiful and they’re simple machines so you may find costs far less than any thing rare or complicated. IMO restoration costs especially body work are biggest fear so pay good money for real good one and enjoy it appreciating.

poppy62, Feb 12, 8:20pm
There are Lots of 1970s USA V8s for sale here on T/M. Rust and Reliability are big factors to consider. They weren't very reliable back "then' and they still are prone to breaking down as seen on the way to various Beach hops, USA car shows etc., I'm on the "wife's" side on this (not trying to rain on your parade) But I'd suggest you ask her what her own opinion is, if she had a choice to go down this road. You may, then get her enthusiastic enough to help push your barrow towards something you both like. Only my opinion, but it's vital to get the Mrs on board as the $$$ go out.

extrayda, Feb 12, 10:20pm
For most common US V8's part are not a big issue (but check before you buy something).

I order parts for my F100 from Rock Auto in US, and they are usually here in 7 days.
If you don't modify them overly much, they should be reliable, none of my basic Australian V8's have left me stranded.
Insurance isn't expensive for me, but it is a relatively un-modified vehicle.

As above avoid anything with any amount of RUST, that's the worst to deal with.

Have you had a 70's US V8 before?
I love old US / Aus V8's, but there are a few things to remember:
- In reality they aren't that nice / easy to drive compared to a modern car.
- Don't usually have A/C that does much.
- Don't handle very well.
- In reality not that fast in standard form.
- LHD probably takes a bit of getting used to.

In saying all that, I love driving my truck, you get the sound and the fun of actually **having** to drive it, or it falls off the road.
I often go out on a short drive somewhere as an excuse to use it, and end up driving around for a couple of hours just enjoying it.
I like the fact that it's very basic, so easy to work on.

It's not for everyone though, and I'm not brave enough to have one as a daily driver.

stevo2, Feb 13, 7:05am
RELUCTANTLY FOR SALE, Early 70's Chevelle Muscle car. Only had it a couple of weeks but apparently "BUY WHAT THE F*CK YOU LIKE" didn't mean what I thought it did.

msigg, Feb 13, 8:45am
Apart from rust issues when you buy, there should be few problems and big costs, you need to have a sympathetic mechanic who will pass the 6 months warrant easy, never take it to vtnz. Most issues with older cars is that they are not used often enough, they are simple to repair but really a mint condition one should be good for many years to come, keep dry and don't leave out in the sun and rain all it's life otherwise the paint will suffer. Join a car club for good runs and contacts. The value won't increase much but if you use it lots and enjoy then that's what life is about. Go for it.

franc123, Feb 13, 9:12am
Buying something that is already here and complied would be a better bet for a first timer, if choosing to import it's a much bigger mine field, remember that in many places in the US there is no requirement for periodic inspections and there could be years of neglect to catch up on plus having to redo bodged repairs no matter how good it might look, you need to use someone reputable over there to thoroughly check them out. It really is best to stick to more mainstream stuff, happiness is easy access to spares on old cars. There are all sorts of unusual tacky contraptions for sale from that era that really don't have any sort of a following yet sellers seem to think just because it's an American V8 it automatically commands a $30k+ price tag. Choose carefully.

v0rtrex, Feb 13, 10:14am
Thanks for all the replies. To add some context, I have $50k to spend on a car that has already been imported and I have never owned a V8 before but always wanted one (lived a pretty frugal life never really had any toys).
My father passed away recently, suddenly and unexpectedly and this purchase will be a way to honor his memory as he had literally hundreds of cars in his lifetime, many being either muscle or classic. His last was a 74 Camaro and I really took a liking to it while he had it so that's the direction I have been leaning.
My wife thinks it's a waste of money but likes the idea of the social aspect of joining a local classic car club and taking part in Beach Hops etc. I've driven LHD in Europe but never here in NZ. I'm nearing 50, have a good job and our teenagers are getting close to flying the coop so I feel like it's a good time to do something for myself.

richardmayes, Feb 13, 2:47pm
Body rust is the hidden cancer that can cost more than the purchase price to repair.

I'm from the English side of the fence. An old fitter I worked with summarised old cars as follows:

American old cars tend to be heavily over-engineered, everything is bigger and stronger than it needs to be, resulting in good mechanical durability, terrible fuel consumption, and performance that isn't quite as big as it sounds based on the number of litres or horsepower.

English old cars are under-engineered and many of the working parts are not really strong enough for the performance they have, resulting in shorter service life and frequent maintenance / repair. (You see this in British cars with American components, e.g. Rovers with Buick sourced V8s the engines are the best part, Triumphs with Borg Warner Auto transmissions that usually outlast the rest of the car, etc.)

Sorry this probably misses the point of your post completely.

Mechanical units can be fixed, body rust is cancer.

framtech, Feb 13, 5:23pm
Rust and parts availability, why not buy a post 2015 V8, modern with the taste of muscle, better economy, lest pollutive, better brakes and handling and safer. 30k would buy you late a SRT 300c 6.2 or a 5.7 in right hand drive.

lovelurking, Feb 13, 9:33pm
That’s a lot of very good reasons to buy yourself a nice toy.
Keep us updated on what you decide on.
My hubby has a classic English car he bought with his inheritance from his Dad.
He would recommend buy a right hand drive so your wife doesn’t freak out being close to the white line without the steering wheel and buy the best one you can afford and drive it regularly.
Happy motoring 😃

v0rtrex, Feb 14, 12:03pm
Thanks to the two posters above for pointing out the modern equivalent. not sure why I wasn't looking at these also. Although not the same experience as a classic they offer a whole host of modernization that a classic generally can't but with a comparable sound and feel.

trogedon, Feb 14, 1:03pm
Body rust can be fixed too.

sw20, Feb 14, 1:04pm
Yes it can. Sometimes the bill can be larger than what the car cost depending on how bad it is.

magoo2, Feb 14, 2:50pm
Dont buy anything from someone who has too many projects and "hasnt had time" to take it for a WOF.

socram, Feb 14, 3:41pm
Oh, and the other important point that no-one has mentioned so far, is the condition of the interior. After the bodywork, the most expensive part of the car to restore and some of the older cars aren't that comfortable either.

Whatever you decide on, drive two or three examples first, as sometimes, that dream collapses once reality kicks in and you'll then know the difference between a car that has been set up well, as opposed to one that may have a fair bit of wear in the suspension, brakes, tyres, shocks and general handling departments.

Not known for good handling when new, some haven't aged very well either.

trogedon, Feb 14, 6:17pm
Sure there are rust horror stories but there can be small, reasonably easy to fix rust areas that put off the owner and lower the price. Often it depends who does the repair to whether it's a nightmare or not.

trogedon, Feb 14, 6:19pm
Agreed. Trying to replicate or restore the interior of some classic cars is a very hard task c.f. some are really easy to do as they're simple and new kits are readily available.

Agreed on your second paragraph too - for example a sports car with worn suspension = not a sports car!

lythande1, Feb 14, 9:25pm
Other? You underestimate the repairs/maintenance.
Old cars eat money like a black hole. I had one once.
Thats why I don't now.