Classic car hidden costs?

Page 2 / 2
extrayda, Feb 14, 10:09pm
Mine never did.
It probably depends on how much you do yourself.
I didn't usually to brakes / steering, but figured a mistake with anything else was not likely to be fatal.

Tuning, Carbs, Points (remember those), Fuel Pump, Plugs, Dizzy, Engine in / out, Shocks, Leaf springs (yup !) all doable with a bit of DIY. Usually very basic, and for Chevs / Fords at least engine parts are easy enough to get hold of. Sadly haven't owned a Mopar, so can't comment on those.

alowishes, Sep 13, 10:49pm
A lot of excessively cautionary comments on here.

I doubt the op had illusions a 50 year old car would be as good as a modern car re handling, a/c etc.

I’ve been to the Beach Hop many times from the deep south and the longest a ‘mechanical incident’ has held me up was 24 hours, other times it has been a set of spark plugs once ( too much low speed cruising at BH) a broken bolt once and a replacement accelerator pedal hinge.

Rust is not always a concern with a recent import that’s complied and has a WOF, NZ-new classics may need a more thorough check, likewise an import that has been in NZ for more than say 10 years.

As they are not generally used as daily drivers the brakes, shocks, tyres etc last quite well.