Any recommendations on ODB2 scanners?

gblack, Oct 27, 1:23pm
I was tempted to pick up a cheap scanner as last time the engine check light came on (day after I got the car the annual service) the mechanic did a quick check via ODB2 and found it was just a minor thermostat reset warning & cleared it.
He did it for free as might have been result of the service, but he did warn me it check light could come back on, which case the sensor or thermostat might get replaced (under warranty) if need be. Would be good to check on the code before going back to mechanic. and because I am nosey as to what information the car has and what the exact code is.

Was going to get a cheap wired unit, but I see that the bluetooth or Wifi ones are pretty cheap these days and I could just use an app like Torque on my phone to connect. Anybody have any experience with these or recommendations? I am a bit wary in that have used some Bluetooth & Wifi gear before and they can be tricky to setup at times. Otherwise was looking at a wire unit like the 'Foxwell NT204' on Trademe for ~$100

Not looking for anything too high end as anything serious would take to mechanic with all the tools.

2013 Mercedes A180 (W176?) if that matters, but I understand the ODB2 is standard enough that I could use it on my Triumph Street Triple as well; and the bike shop charged me more than the cost of some readers to check an engine light on which was just the result of a temp low battery warning. Think Triumph though might encrypt information to force usage of dealer tools (still reading online)

intrade, Oct 27, 3:15pm
Did you ever listen to what ever i said.
also Tractors trucks cars motorbikes. they all have a complete different obd2
mercedes is like tesla or apple if they dont have to give you information the will not. So only the absolute minimum about emissions you will read with a top quailty obd2 reader. most obd2 only cover 2 to 3 out of 5 protocolls.
motorbikes almost no expensive scanner does motorbikes .
You dont buy a cheap tool . you be having a check engine light and your cheap garbage will say no codes lol

saki, Oct 27, 3:51pm
Sounds like my least favourite school teacher with a 300$ torch.

intrade, Oct 27, 6:18pm
at least he can see where is going if you torn the light out on him.

intrade, Oct 27, 7:04pm
mercedes no crank (when Hot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9U_pQzKfo

intrade, Oct 27, 7:26pm
ironically that video i did not know what the content was i only know what i say is accurate and that diagnose dan is making good videos.
This video matches like word for word what i just told you above.
watch it its good. i called it the first 3 minutes of the video. but one has to have proof first.

gblack, Oct 27, 8:18pm
Thought intrade might 'contribute' to this.

But finding it hard to figure out the truth, when you can find a bunch of YouTube videos showing people using basic ODB2 adapter's to connect phones to a range of cars and getting more than emissions data.

Hence me asking if anybody has actually tried these. cheap enough to give it a try I guess. I didn't see what app the mechanic had but used a wireless adaptor and was running on an iPad

https://youtu.be/PBXl0Vp-Jqc

I do understand from research done so far, that Triumph does need specialized tools as the standards only apply to passenger vehicles.

gblack, Oct 27, 8:27pm
E-class Mercedes from pre 2010 (W211)? Don't know them but ODB2 was extended a bit in my W176 model as far as I know

jmma, Oct 27, 10:27pm
Great come back, lol

saki, Oct 28, 10:31am
I use an autel maxiscan seems ok, not wireless, my phone is old tech.

intrade, Oct 28, 11:46am
re*7 i only watched a few secound that tool is a onhanglow tool. i had one of them before i done my fist training course. obd2 is emission only
there is loads of threads and i said it over and over again and again.
also codes are not parts to replace codes are what ever the thing thinks it sees wrong . You then have to reverse negeneer like diagnose dan does to find the problem. of course it can be a broken part the code will then say cicrcuit voltage high and on a short it will say voltage low code. However you can on this code also have cut wire in the harness or a shorted rubbing wire to chassi. Thats just for them code. The open or short can be in component as well its why it could work by rplacing the component the code points to.
Diagnose dan has a video where the door handle causes non start on a bmw.