MG 3 - why so cheap?

Page 2 / 3
vtecintegra, Mar 6, 5:59pm
Both my TVs (a Sony and a Panasonic) are made in Malaysia as are my fancy noise cancelling headphones. Cellphone (Samsung) is Vietnam and PC components are from all around the place but assembly is generally done in China.

tamarillo, Mar 6, 6:56pm
the one they’ve bought is A very different beast over the earlier one that was rubbish. Different platform engine etc and was partly developed by Holden so suited our roads well.

gpg58, Mar 6, 7:20pm
I got one brand new during the run out, for just $14k (Dark grey LT), as they gave me an extra $1k off for buying 2 cars(got an astra rsv as well).
I really like it, its quicker than most small cars(75kw/100 hp from its 1.4 non turbo motor), handles well, drinks at 50mpg(5.6/100) as an average over time i have had it, and is fun to drive. Has just had its first full service at 9 months old and 12,000kms, no issues at all.

lissie, Mar 6, 7:25pm

socram, Mar 6, 9:15pm
As one who owns 2 MGs at the moment and sold another 2 within the last 3 years, I do get a bit miffed with them advertising 'MG since 1924' when there is no real manufacturing link. In reality, no worse I suppose than all Rodd & Gunn merchandise manufactured overseas, but still leaning on the NZ origins. Same applies to many branded goods.

When it comes to the Chinese manufacturing, I'm somewhat dubious of the steel quality as I'm willing to bet my 65 year old one will have a longer lifespan.

Ethically though, I don't support the Chinese way of going about things, but it seems that MG will be around for a while yet, as they have very ambitious plans for the future.

socram, Mar 6, 9:18pm
Jaguars are still made in the UK/Europe. Owned by India.

s_nz, Mar 7, 12:34am
Cheers.

Congrats on your purchase.

Link it dead now, but I imagine the price was sharp.

Obviously a lot smaller than the MG3, but I think the spark is better. Its substantially more fuel efficient, looks nice, and got a 5 Star ANCAP rating in 2016.

gazzat22, Mar 7, 10:22am
I Stand corrected and bow to your superior wisdom and knowledge. I have never owned one and the nearest Iv,e got to something like that is a brother who owned an MGTF,a MGA a 1964,1970 and 1980 MGB then just before he died an MG RV8. My parents had a MG Magnette1965 but that was just basically a Series 6 Morris Oxford with a bit of fruit salad.

lissie, Mar 7, 10:39am
That was basically the logic that led to the decision. Ironic my first ever car was a Holden back in the 80s - never thought I'd have another!

lissie, Mar 7, 10:59am
Edit to add $18400 inc balance of new car 3 year warranty with free servicing, followed by a 2 year mechanical warranty , and 6 months rego

frank80, Mar 7, 1:32pm
Ah yes,the legendary Series 6 which had the bad habit of overheating and blowing the head gasket.Factory could never come up with an answer.
Easy enough fix though by drilling out the water holes on the block to increase the water flow to the head.
For what its worth the MGB had a similar engine to the Austin 1800 with an extra SU carb off memory.Most sort after MGB was the 1963 with the three bearing crankshaft which spun better than the four bearing model giving a slightly better perfomance.They still look and sound good but handling and ride is average.

socram, Mar 7, 4:08pm
I'm no engineer/mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the MGB went from a 3 bearing to a 5 bearing crank.

MGB handles well enough and you can take corner 1 at Pukekohe flat out - which in a standard B is about 105mph, and still scrub off enough speed and get through the esses. As with many cars, choosing the right tyres is the key - but sorry lissie, we are off topic!

Overall, the MG Car Club seem quite accepting of the current cars and several members seem to have bought them as daily drivers. I am still buying British - even if assembled in Europe!

intrade, Mar 7, 4:21pm
only one problem i have is pars for china stuff is non existant.
and i dont talk secoundhand as that was what somone claimed sold parts. numberplate in supercheap partmaster etc will demonstrate what i just said.

gazzat22, Mar 7, 4:41pm
Yes my brother took his one around Silverstone several times,that was the 1980 which he bought as an accident damaged and completely and I mean completely restored even taking the Hideous rubber bumpers off and replacing them with Chrome,putting a Rover 3.5 v8 in.He never took the RV8 there got too sick ! His pet name for it was "Sweet Thunder".I went to Wings and Wheels at Duxford with him every time I went to England A fascinating Place.

upnorth, Mar 7, 4:56pm
Any MGB can be outperformed by the Morris Marina TC Coupe.

rovercitroen, Mar 7, 5:42pm
MGB - worth buying just for the sound of the exhaust!

john1623, Mar 7, 7:49pm
Isnt the Spark a much improved Daewoo.

azza20, Mar 7, 8:47pm
you pay for what you get my mate has one for awhile now and I went for a drive the other day,. it runs poorly and is cheap materials.

franc123, Mar 8, 1:24am
The last model Spark that Holden sold was nothing like the original model which looked and felt like it was made in China and should cost $12k new despite being sold as a $16990 Holden. The model that replaced it was a huge leap forward and is a passably nice car with a CVT that is a good highway cruiser for a small car. It would be a good buy at the right price.

gazzat22, Mar 8, 10:30am
Well you must have had extremely bad luck or something similar We had about 10 oxfords or similar B series engined cars in the family and none of them had overheating or head gasket problems,oil leaks as all English cars did but the B series motor went in a lot of BMC vehicles from cars to vans.!

andy61, Mar 9, 9:05am
The Spark is a Daewoo with the badges changed- no improvements as such.

apollo11, Mar 9, 11:37am
Couldn't you just buy the cd? It would be much cheaper.

frank80, Mar 12, 6:53pm
Trying to put a year to it;pretty sure it was 1971-72.
Bottle variation I guess.

frank80, Mar 12, 7:33pm
With out too much research it looks likes the 3 bearing was in the 1963 and then to 5 in 1964-65.My model was wire wheeled with a factory type hard top that could be removed but not carried in the car itself.

Never raced it just a nice looking vehicle with a still semi modern look.
Did not own it for long;went vintage and ended up with a 1935 Morris 10/4.
Character galore, leather upholstery,woolen carpets,roller blinds,chrome plated brass ash trays etc.
Along with later owned 1970 1500 cc Alfa Sud the only two cars I wished I still owned.
Off topic a bit from the MG 3.
Feel obliged to take one for a drive and report back.!

gazzat22, Mar 13, 10:22am
I think 1966 was about the last year the B series was used in sedans but it survived for a few more years in MGB,s.70/71 was all 1800,s and Maxi,s/Marina,s.Guy i worked with had a Marina TC coupe which was nearly as quick as a B but handling was lethal.!