Cheap EVs in Europe

stevo2, Jul 19, 8:15am

tony9, Jul 19, 10:04am
Just goes to show how much the average new car buyer does not want an EV.

intrade, Jul 19, 11:11am
yea the knotheads and retards govern the world.

tamarillo, Jul 19, 5:37pm
did you read it? They are offering them cheap on long term low km leases so the can get enough out on European roads to meet emissions targets. Can’t make enough of them. Your conclusion is unfounded.

likit, Jul 19, 6:29pm

tony9, Jul 19, 6:39pm
I read it. The problem is that there is a govt mandate that the vehicle makers must achieve a low emission average across their range. With normal pricing the market is not buying enough EVs compared to sales of ICEs. So the price of EVs is reducing to unsustainably low levels to try to get the market to buy enough. If EVs were such a great value proposition then they would sell for the same price as ICEs. They are not.

gpg58, Jul 19, 6:54pm
I very recently bought 2 new 2020 cars ( a micro and a medium hatchback), neither are electric or hybrid, for the simple reason of pricing here, (which would have meant at least 5+ year old electrics for same money) and wanting a range that will take me anywhere at any time.
Unless we get very big incentives (not ice penalties!), then that is unlikely to change next time either.

apollo11, Jul 19, 8:05pm
The global warmists will burn you at the stake for that sort of behaviour in ten years. I'm only half joking.

cjohnw, Jul 19, 8:44pm
My guess is if Labour and the Greens get in at the next election without Winston Peters there will likely be those larger incentives to buy electric, but you can count on ICE penalties. It’s called the JAG revenge!

gpg58, Jul 19, 8:49pm
Working on the theory that trees are green and are made of wood, and wood burns well, i think i will stock up on green leaning party members, to throw in the fire on cold nights, as clearly most are as thick as a plank of wood.

gpg58, Dec 20, 5:41pm
Likely right, stupid cow she is.
Guess by then i will have my mountain bike mods done, ordered a 1kw mid drive kit and 17.5 ah battery yesterday, going to fit to my "whyte 46". but hey that will use additional energy, that has to be generated some how too, as previously i only pedaled. But if i had too, i could use it to tow a small bike trailer for local stuff.