New rules for car imports

Page 1 / 5
3tomany, Jan 28, 11:41am
I like what i read here with all imported cars to meet better emission standards by 2025. The only bad part is why not do it now as most other countries already have tougher standards.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/clean-car-crackdown-govt-sets-new-standard-for-vehicle-imports/3NCT65D3QAO7JWYEHFYSVNSKRU/

sw20, Jan 28, 11:51am
Small penalties. Sounds like the cost of doing business just got a little higher

gunna-1, Jan 28, 11:54am
Why do it at all, how much coal are those ev,s going to chew through at the chargeing station.

3tomany, Jan 28, 12:01pm
Agree the penalties are pathetic. Should be thousands per car not pocket change.

sandypheet, Jan 28, 12:11pm
The emmision standard is a rought. Vehicles only tested once in their lifetime. Continious testing is the only way to manage them. My opinion.

apollo11, Jan 28, 12:13pm
How long before there are (enforced) emissions tests for wofs in NZ?

harm_less, Jan 28, 12:16pm
Do you have the same criticisms when cooking your Sunday roast? Especially as it likely coincides with peak grid demand.

Besides the small portion of our national electricity generation is a carry over from historic inadequacies in our supply and generation network which will cease as our wind and solar generation comes onstream. The imminent closure of Tiwai will also help in this respect.

gunna-1, Jan 28, 12:30pm
I wish we ate that well, sunday roasts are all but a thing of the past, and diets are changeing, we dont tend to eat roast meals every night dripping with lard like people did in the past, everyone fends for themselfs in this household now, the massive increases in the demand for energy will put strain on all of the supply chains for electricity, it dosent matter if the coal comes from nz or china, its still increasing the global co2 unless you want to opt for nuclear power in the future.

s_nz, Jan 28, 12:31pm
Lol. $50/car penalty for new car.

WTF? why even bother. Everybody is just going to ignore this and pay the fines., Much cheaper than complying.

gunna-1, Jan 28, 12:35pm
Will the coal still be burnt in nz to generate the excess power required that will be belching out toxins that are much more of a worry to human health than co2?.

3tomany, Jan 28, 12:38pm
Dumb to bring in a rule that has no penalty for not abiding by it. $50 is not even half a tank of fuel.

msigg, Jan 28, 12:47pm
I don't like regulation like this, but hey it's going to happen whether we like it or not. Change will take place eventually , so long as i can use my diesel ranger for the next 20 years all good.

3tomany, Jan 28, 12:51pm
+1
Only difference with me is for the sake of $50 i am going to simply buy a new ranger just as i have always done. Rumor is it will have a V6 in twelve months time, i cant wait.

apollo11, Jan 28, 12:52pm
The gas fired stations are mainly there to cover spikes in peak demand. Electric cars or house battery storage could actually be used as one giant energy store, drawn down when these peaks in demand need to be covered. This is what Tesla are planning, turning cars and home storage into a massive energy supplier in times of high demand.

3tomany, Jan 28, 12:53pm
I had better start saving my $2 per month extra that i will pay now, so it is not such a shock at purchase time.

s_nz, Jan 28, 12:53pm
Sounds like the herald article contains an error.

Tweet from the Associate Minister of Transport

https://twitter.com/JulieAnneGenter/status/1354575839078191105

'Per gram of CO2 I believe"

If the tweet is accurate, to sell a v8 Patrol (thirsty vehicle I could think of 14.4L/100km, 334g co2/km), would mean nissan would need to pay $11,450 in penalties if they couldn't offset it with low emission vehicle sales elsewhere.

Still weak as it is still likely that automakers will opt to pay the penalties rather than change their vehicle mix to meet the targets. But at least that is not laughable.

bwg11, Jan 28, 12:54pm
Plain stupid, the cost is less than that of the final groom before entering the showroom. But think of the bureaucracy needed to administer it as it appears each make, model, variant will be treated differently. Michael Wood has no transport industry history - clothing salesperson, xmas tree salesperson and union organizer.
EDIT: Written before reading the link in #16

kazbanz, Jan 28, 12:56pm
The stupidity of those people knows no bounds.
The average age of cars in Europe is 6 years old. Our fleet is almost double that.
Instead of emissions testing at the border the most effective way to reduce emissions would be to reduce the allowable emission level of vehicles currently on NZ roads.

gunna-1, Jan 28, 1:03pm
I still dont know if that will cut it, we are talking a massive increase in demand for power with many ev veichles, and currently we go through alot of power with all the appliances, peoples smart tvs probably run close to midnight now rather than 10pm, and the businesses running giant freezers.

s_nz, Jan 28, 1:04pm
Politically unworkable, and highly regressive & wasteful.

Targeting vehicles as they enter the fleet is the most workable approach in my mind. Prying peoples existing vehicles out of their hands to be scrapped is not going to be popular at all.

gunna-1, Jan 28, 1:09pm
All those 6yo cars get melted down and you have the pollution of mass production going up, i dont see how haveing a 6yo fleet of cars will make much difference.

bill-robinson, Jan 28, 1:10pm
the first of the climate change taxes is here.

kazbanz, Jan 28, 1:14pm
YEP--all about politics nothing about reducing emissions.

apollo11, Jan 28, 1:15pm
As more battery storage comes online for the power grid, it makes renewable sources more viable, because there is somewhere to store any excess. Perhaps it could take fifty years to implement, but it's something we could work toward. We could see a mix of ev's and efficient fossil transport co-existing in the meantime.

3tomany, Jan 28, 1:18pm
Not just EV vehicles but all our biggest coal users (fonterra, meat works, greenhouses etc) are having to swap out their coal boilers for electricity as well so expect huge increases in power demand other than that for transport.