2004 Corolla / Allex. Chain or belt?

gunhand, Sep 12, 8:21pm
Well daughter got her self the above car and I want to know if it cambelt or cam chain. I googled it and got that its both. AA sight said belt another said chain. Its the 1.5 auto.
And its a far nicer car than the 09 Honda vitz she had her heart set on, but changed her mind after being in both one after the other. And good god mitzi colts of similar age, what a pile of crap they are.
Another Toyota added to family lol. Its even got a strut tower brace and slightly larger exhaust so she is happy. Goes very well indeed.

s_nz, Sep 12, 8:56pm
I think the only 1.5L engine offered in this car was the 1NZ-FE, which is chain driven.

https://www.engine-specs.net/toyota/1nz-fe.html

gunhand, Sep 12, 8:57pm
What did you change your mind about Tam?

s_nz, Sep 12, 8:57pm
You can put the number plate in here: www.carjam.co.nz

And see of the first three characters of the engine code match the above.

gunhand, Sep 12, 8:59pm
Thanks for that, I will check which engine it has tomorrow as Bourbon has its grasp on me at the mo and its really dark out side. So what you saying is the AA expert don't know squat.

tamarillo, Sep 12, 10:21pm
ha! Genuinely remembered a previous post saying it was belt, but then questioned my old brain so deleted it. Reckon others know more about it!

gunhand, Sep 12, 10:31pm
Well when yo get conflicting web sight info one has to wonder what to believe hence the question. No probs, thought you might of scorned a toyota choice lol

franc123, Sep 12, 10:36pm
NZ engines are chain. Variants of them have been used in that many Toyotas that it should be common knowledge.

gunhand, Sep 12, 10:40pm
Common knowledge? It pays not to believe everything thing one reads or is told. I asked the car sales woman if the auto box in the 09 vitz we looked at was CVT (i already new it was) and she looked in the window and said, no its a normal one.

franc123, Sep 12, 11:33pm
Yep, common knowledge. Why would you be seeking in depth tech information from the AA anyway? You are much more likely to get the correct answer from a manufacturers agent, or, if you know what you are looking at, banging the chassis code into one of the many online sources of genuine parts catalogues and look at the engine section, or whatever section will provide the answer you need. Guaranteed correct answers there.

andy61, Sep 13, 8:29am
I never knew Honda made a Vitz ! , I have driven many Toyota Vitz and most of them have been a disappointment to drive, however the Honda Fit has always been a much nicer car to drive. yes most Toyotas from 2000 have timing chains except for the Hilux (up to 2015), the Hiace and some of the V6 engines.

tamarillo, Sep 13, 8:44am
Well that to!

lookoutas, Sep 13, 10:48am
Was looking for a car for my daughter a few years ago and asked the cousin Raji if it was CVT and he said it was.
I then told him I wasn't too keen on CVT, so he twisted it all around and told me it wasn't. We'd already been for a drive, and I know it was.

gunhand, Sep 13, 11:56am
Yea, sorry Honda Fit. Been looking at to many cars lol.

westwyn, Sep 14, 1:34pm
The Corolla Runx / Allex range (Japan) from 2000 approx uses two engine families:
1500cc = 1NZ
1800cc = 2NZ
Both are chain drive.
New Zealand new examples carried over the old model in to 2001 that had a timing belt engine.

kazbanz, Sep 14, 4:42pm
The Runx /Allex is a chain drive engine
2004 Corolla SHOULD be chain drive but pop the bonnet and confirm the engine number

gunhand, Sep 14, 6:34pm
Thanks all, its a 1NZ FE VVT i so guessing its chain then.

kazbanz, Sep 14, 8:11pm
yep chain drive - regular oil changes and the right oil needed

gunhand, Sep 14, 8:30pm
Thanks Kaz, I change oil and filter about every 5000km on all our cars. Some may say its to often but its not an expensive exercise so why not I say. The Camry has 210000 kms on it and you can hardly hear the motor running still. And yes I use correct oils.

duncb, Sep 14, 9:37pm
Change every 5000k is very impressive. I change all of them (except the really old one) every 10,000k and I thought that was quite good. Had a Nissan that was over 400,000k and had a silent motor. Unfortunately the rest of the car was starting to fall apart.

kazbanz, Sep 15, 9:31am
I reckon whatever rocks ya boat. You ain't doing harm changing the oil more often.

lk104, Nov 20, 1:46am
Rubbish!
How about the Altezza, Aristo, Caldina, Celsior, Duet, Estima, Harrier. …. and I can go on.