Corolla with 1zz-FE

aprilguy, May 25, 7:27am
Time to get a `new' car so I am looking at a 2003 corolla with the 1zz-FE 1.8 litre engine. Does not use oil according to the seller. I will get an AA check before buying but what else should I look out for in this model? I have googled already and there are many oil burning posts.

jmma, May 25, 8:15am
How many Kms?

absolute_detail, May 25, 8:29am
They are a very poor engine, use a lot of oil and dont make very much useable power

msigg, May 25, 9:33am
They are a great little car, my daughter has the 2004 and it just keeps on going, very economical, very reliable. You can't go wrong with that, they will do huge km. Get an inspection done and your good to go.

hazelthecat, May 25, 9:34am
Bollocks.
I have owned this model car since 2005, 120k Km. Uses no oil between services. 1.8 engine has plenty of power for normal use. I don't care if it's a boring car according to some but it's a good reliable car.

intrade, May 25, 9:47am
AA check might as well get a 5 year old scribble on the test probably be more conclusive test.
look inside the oil filler and look if every service was done 10,000km maximum
if oil filler is looking brown burned like you grandmas cake tin after the cake came out of the form then shut the engine oil cap close the bonnet and walk away. Also, if no service history is complete available.
Toyota is owned by people with who never pay a cent on services= That worked on cars that was built to pollute and last . As if they don't pollute and you ignore problems they all go poof just like the euros who comply to much tighter emissions years before .

hazelthecat, May 25, 10:43am
Do you have a positive bone in your body Intrade? It appears if it's not European you rubbish it. Say something positive about European gear boxes.

franc123, May 25, 10:56am
Unfortunately he is correct in this instance. This is a phenomenon known as Toyota Slob Syndrome, you see evidence of it all the time in the motor trade. Id wager what engines that do have oil consumption problem are doing so because of lack of service which can easily lead to clogged oil return holes in the pistons. Unless theres a documented service history available, the above check is the absolute first thing you do when looking at a used Toyota. If it doesnt look right, you walk. Obviously this advice can also apply to ANY used vehicle.

aprilguy, May 25, 11:13am
Jmma, it has 180k km on it. Looks like opinion is divided on these. I just want a car to take me over the Rimutakas occasionally with a little overtaking power, unlike my 5A-FE 1.5 litre I am driving now.

tamarillo, May 25, 11:30am
Not my cupppa tea but for reliable work can’t beat it, but yes of course check it’s been serviced regularly . even toyota can’t survive without servicing. End of day it’s an old car now so can be trouble but pick wisely and will be as good as you can get for year.

wasgonna, May 25, 11:34am
Brilliant cars, hugely reliable and mean on petrol. The sedan which has the 1.8 engine go like the clappers. All cars need servicing regularly. Would only ever have a Toymota.

intrade, May 25, 5:34pm
this is interesting youtube just spammed me with this guys video and what do you know He is not bashing car manufacturers . But he tells the exact same thing i keep telling, and i did not know about him till youtube suggested his video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouW6nEYHkw&t

kcf, May 25, 5:47pm
Good cars, I bought one with 470km or so on the clock, tidied it up, and drove it around without any issues before trading it in.

Used about 1.0 liter of oil over about 10,000km, which is forgivable given the miles on the car.

myjg33, May 25, 6:17pm
Mrs had one for 7 years. 1.8 auto.NZ new
serviced every 10k.didnt use oil/coolant between services
not exactly a fast car but it was perfect for her.
only sold it due to moving away.
never failed a WOF in the 7 years we owned it because it was maintained properly.
they are good cars if they have been looked after.

s_nz, May 25, 9:29pm
I had a 2006 corolla with that engine. Owned it for 8 years, from 170,000km to 255,000km.

I think it made something like 97kW. Not a performance car by any means, but plenty enough to get the job done, pass people etc. A google search shows the 5A-FE 1.5L making 69-77kW depending on application, so the 1.8L should be a noticeable improvement.

Mine just needed fairly normal maintenance. Did need the serpentine belt tensionier replaced at one point, and the apparently one of the sensors (oxygen) was reading slow at one point so I had it replaced.

I got an AA check before buying mine. Wasn't to impressed. They didn't find any significant issues, yet only rated it "Grade 3: Likely to require unplanned maintenance and repair." - I got a small mobile inspector the next time I brought a car, and they provided a lot more info to me.

Known issues with the corolla's
- Weak CV joints - when you testdrive, drive in a circle each direction as tight as the car will allow. A clicking sound will indicate CV's arn't in great condtion. - by brothers corolla did this.
- Key casing prone to breaking - can get a stronger aftermarket one from Toyota dealers.

My car also had some issues with the paint around the top of the windscreen, and in the roof gutters (under the rubber strip), where some rust was starting.

Note they are fairly basic cheap cars. As with most cars in class they are pretty noisy on course chip roads. Driving position is fairly tight (Im 183cm, and it in traffic where a lot time on the break was required, I needed to take off my right shoe or my knee would need to be kicked right to avoid the steering wheel.

Surprisingly high tow rating at 1.3T breaked.

suzgs750, May 26, 9:20pm
never heard of weak cv joints on these cars in my long years in the motor trade.