Corolla GX1.8i

tegretol, Mar 7, 9:33pm
Be interested in the general view about these, am looking for one for the wife around 2015-ish. at <80,000km. In particular, any known issues with them?

intrade, Mar 7, 11:10pm
new age toyota are no better then any other make, nz owned ones be worse then import as nz one probably was never serviced . as where imports need service to pass emission testing.

meow_mix, Mar 8, 12:28am
The epitome of a reliable car, the ol' workhorse Corolla, but Intrade makes a good point that many have been neglected in servicing, they call it "Toyota Slob Syndrome". I also agree that the Japanese Domestic Market ones are the ones to go for, they are badged as Auris instead of Corolla, they get more fruit like bigger alloy wheels, subtle body kit, HID xenon headlamps.

franc123, Mar 8, 1:10am
Careful you don't buy a smacked up ex rental car that's had a so-so repair done on it to a low price. Aside from CoF "stains" on the carjam record that may affect future resale value I've had people ask me this exact question and I tell them to first go looking for overspray or rough paint around the bumpers,mudguards,wheel wells, springs etc before even getting as far as a road test and lo and behold they found undisclosed historic damage, not enough to affect WoF or anything but it still shouldnt be there. You just keep going until you find a good one that looks how it should look and actually worth doing a pro PPI on and buying if all good.

msigg, Mar 8, 7:07am
They are an excellent car to drive, plenty of power, good handling, economical and very reliable, they are the best selling car for a reason, we have the older model here x 2 and they are great, do the servicing and you won't look back.

absolute_detail, Mar 8, 8:42am
wat. I had the misfortune of having to drive a rental one from chch to greymouth, jfc it was a horrible pos to drive

tamarillo, Mar 8, 8:55am
oh what poppycock. If it’s no new you can check it’s service history, it may very well have been fleet or rental (most were) so servicing assured.
Op only issue with them is there boring appliances.

tamarillo, Mar 8, 8:56am
Yeah no. Never one any test on any of these features. But they are well built reliable all rounders.

cjohnw, Mar 8, 9:33am
+1
Generalization is wrong because it can lead to erroneous conclusions about specifics or even entire categories or people; however, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

intrade, Mar 8, 11:48am
ummmm from obove have been fleet or rental (most were) so servicing assured. my **** rep has a ranger the lease company wont replace the leaking shocks not bad enough for a warranty claim. do you really think these things are well serviced when they can not do it and get away. i think one whould have to smoke a lot of weed to live in that lala land of dreams.

intrade, Mar 8, 11:52am
buy a 2021 suzuki or hell a 2015 mitsubihi will be as good as a toyota, they all cut corners left right and center and lifetime fluids is 6 years abouts. toyota 2005 onwards are no bettr then a polo vw or a golf mazda haval ldv you name it its all corner cutting trash made to throw in the bin in 6 to 10 years if you would want reliable with cheap but actuarlservicing iot be a year 2000 corolla with 4a-fe engine fresh import from japan with 80k on it for 12 grand. that will drive on oil and filters th next 15 years and 300,000km+

franc123, Mar 8, 12:41pm
One of the absolute worst cases of neglect on a car I'd ever seen was on a VE Holden that was being used by a rep for a certain high profile home appliance chain. This clown did a ridiculous amount of kms every year and thought that getting his car serviced was such an interruption to his day that it was only done every 40k or so on one occasion it was presented to us with one of the front tyres worn to the extent that there was a section of steel hanging out of the tread about two inches wide. Engine expired in a cloud of timing chain rattles at about 100k with no claim on warranty for obvious reasons. This dickhead went on to do a similar thing to a brand new Cruze, I would have told him to use a self supplied push bike or be dismissed. Rental cars are of course subject to very regular CoF and naturally cars breaking down due to neglect isnt good for their image so they do get looked at more often general fleet cars? Mmm yeah nah not always.

cjohnw, Mar 8, 1:15pm
I ran a company fleet of vehicles for a number of years.
Ensuring scheduled servicing was always completed on time was an integral part of the role of the Fleet Manager and the above situation of a rep simply ignoring maintenance could not have happened (in our case).
The vehicle in question was simply rostered off for its scheduled maintenance and was not returned to duty roster until all maintenance was signed off.
It was in the companys interests to keep its fleet well maintained and reliable.
And yes, a number of our vehicles were Toyotas.
The generalisation that Toyotas don’t get serviced is bullshit!

intrade, Mar 8, 1:36pm
cjohnw rep told me leasing company wont do anything. just because you seemingly done the right thing . no one is going to spend 1 cent when the ceos could get the cent as profit instead.
in europe switzerland worn tyres huge fine car loaded on truck at owners expense and new wof. also dirty aircleaner is guaranteed to fail emmision test.
NEw zealand has no emisson testing so they drive till its in limp mode.
japan is guaranteed to have emission testing also= they got to service the vehicles

kazbanz, Mar 8, 1:38pm
Rule of thumb they are mostly ex rental/lease vehicles of some sort be it the likes of Hertz or company lease vehicles. Generally that means regular /scheduled servicing.
The reason they are used is their reputation for reliability

But unlike a used import if they have been involved in a substantial accident and repaired there is no way to know. UNLESS you have a comprehensive Pre Purchase inspection carried out.
For that matter when paying out 10-20k on a car regardless of how good a car looks and seems to be you should always have a pre Purchase inspection done.
Im unashamedly biased but I prefer a used import Aurus (Jap market corolla) of the same vintage. You pay the same money for a whole heap less K's and know its had the big compliance inspection to be sure its not accident damaged.

intrade, Mar 8, 1:46pm
Rule of thumb they are mostly ex rental/lease vehicles of some sort be it the likes of Hertz or company lease vehicles. Generally that means regular /scheduled servicing.
The reason they are used is their reputation for reliability
you know what they do?
stamp the service manual and send it out again and pocket the money . that is what they do hello they get paid like insurance company no where near enough to do a proper job. 30.000km servicing is deadly for any car and manufacturer want cars to fail as soon as the warranty is up.

cjohnw, Mar 8, 2:02pm
That is an almost libellous claim.
Put up some actual evidence of what you claim is true, rather than some conspiracy theory.

tegretol, Mar 8, 3:34pm
Mate, all of your confusing and muddled up comments have not helped me in the slightest, indeed I wonder how you have survived in the marketplace for so long.

tegretol, Sep 5, 2:12pm
Thanks. That makes more sense than most of the rambling replies on here - advice appreciated.