2017 Ford Escape/ 2017 Tucson

bazfan, Feb 21, 12:59pm
Hey Guys

On the hunt for an SUV as we have a baby on the way. Looking at spending between $25-30k. What I want is a decent enough boot for a pram and a dog. Do a lot of driving for work so want something that is decent on the open road. Prefer AWD for the mountain and active safety features like auto braking would be a bonus. Not a fan of CVT

So far the best value for money choice is the Ford Escape petrol trend - its got heaps of power and is fairly economical. Quite a comfy car to drive and being a Ford it’s about 5k cheaper than the equivalent RAV4. Only downside is the shape of the back which is a bit dated and also a smaller boot. Has anyone had and experience with one of these cars?

The other car is a Tucson but will need to go for a diesel instead as the petrol is FWD. Its a nice looking car but has limited safety specs (no AEB) and these are high km versions for $30k. Has anyone owned any of these and can share experiences?

3tomany, Feb 21, 1:11pm
We had a Kugar in 2014 and my daughter has a 2017 trend both have been faultless. The rest is all subjective so not much point in giving my opinion but i do like the versatility of them. Never had one with high ks though.

gblack, Feb 22, 7:35am
Can't comment on the Ford, but the RAV4 is more expensive as they are going to be more reliable.

Thing that interests me is that while there are lots of soft SUV 'styled' cars, a SUV is in theory a vehicle with AWD drive, raised body for increased ground clearance and tyres designed for off road use.

I hear a number of people who feel like they need a SUV because they have a baby, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless there is a sudden need to go off-road.

If you didn't really need a SUV, I would be tempted to test drive a Camry - for that money you could get a newer hybrid. That or Kia do a decent range of SUV including the slightly smaller Niro in hybrid. Both 5-star safety rating but much more fuel efficient than the Ford

franc123, Feb 22, 10:21am
#3 absolutely correct. There are far far more cost effective options out there for those prepared to look outside of current trends.

skull, Feb 22, 10:39am
Bollocks, you'd struggle to find one in the vehicles OP is considering.

vtecintegra, Feb 22, 10:48am
The Tucson seems overpriced compared to the Kia Sportage which is the same platform and drivetrain.

msigg, Feb 22, 4:03pm
Well for those nay sayer to SUV, getting babies and kids into cars is alot easier with the SUV, rather than bending down and screwing your back up all the time. SUV is much better style, seating position, also the dog likes it better than a station wagon, etc, this is my view, others can have their own view,Yes RAV4 is fantastic if you could stretch. Just do some more test drives and see what you like, money is cheap now, get something god as it may be your last petrol car.

vtecintegra, Feb 22, 5:33pm
I dunno about that, I looked at a lot of cars and concluded a medium/large sedan was the easiest thing to get my 15 month old in a rear facing seat into - stuff like the Rav4 doesn't have enough length while rear facing.

bazfan, Sep 10, 3:49pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I find it much easier loading a child into a SUV- it’s like putting something on a shelf that’s at chest level vs knee level. I do agree that the best driving cars I’ve had have been lower and test drove the Levorg- boy is it good!

Did some more research on the escape and in the USand Australia there have been issues with the transmission so will give it a miss