Nissan Avenir tail light - how to access bulb?

rpvr, Jul 2, 2:11pm
How does one get at the bulb in the tail light of a 2001 Nissan Avenir W11? It's the one in the larger light on the hatch door:

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1567575972.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1567578061.jpg

If I undo the two nuts shown in the second photo, I can lift that end of the light, but how to then pull it out? What holds the inner end in place? Do I have to remove the trim from the inside of the hatch?

The small corner lights are easy, just undo the two bolts and the light lifts off. Never had to do the bulb in the larger lights yet, even though I've had the car 13 years!

jmma, Jul 2, 2:33pm
I would say, start by undoing those two nuts.

rpvr, Jul 2, 3:11pm
Have tried that, as indicated above. I can then pry that end up until the threads are clear of the holes, and I thought that the light may be able the be pulled across to disengage a tag or something. But something is holding the other end of the light, and if I prise it up further, something is likely to break.

kazbanz, Jul 2, 3:52pm
Most likely its held in place by a push in pin or two given the bolts are exposed .
But ya know what its not worth the risk. .That inner cover will just pop off the door with a bit of controlled force. Then with your $300 torch you can look inside the door on the off chance its a post and nut in there.
I would use a radio lever (plastic) and see if I can feel movement sideways when I put it between the lens edge and the door. No movement at all then I would pop the inner for sure

rpvr, Jul 2, 4:14pm
Thanks, I think it will be my task for Sunday afternoon. Only intrade can afford those $300 torches though, I'll have to make do with my $15 one. Oh for the days when changing a bulb was a simple 5 minute job.

curlcrown, Jul 2, 5:10pm
I would try removing the cover from the inside of the tail gate, you may find the bulbs are accessible from there and that removing the entire unit is not necessary.

macman26, Jul 2, 5:18pm
isn't this built in obsolescence?
Lamp gone. Time to replace the car

snork28, Jul 3, 9:43am

nzmax, Jul 3, 11:18am
If they are anything like the same era Nissan Maxima, then there will also be 2 nuts hidden inside the boot panel (or in your case the tailgate) requiring removal of the interior trim panel to access them. If you are lucky, there maybe bulb access without needing to remove the light.

rpvr, Jul 16, 4:05pm
It's a single white plastic pin that holds it in. I can see it with my $15 torch (can't afford the $300 one) when I pull out the little plastic handle for closing the hatch. Then I found a photo of the underside of the light on here.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1568153395.jpg
So I guess when I get around to pulling the trim off I should just be able to tap the pin back out of the hole. Don't like the look of that bulb holder though, looks like one of those not intended for replacement and may need some kind of modification. Just need to get the trim off now without busting those plastic retainers.