What is the better Van Motorhome - the VW or

jewelryjunkie, Dec 2, 12:44pm
the Mercedes?
Am looking to by this type of Motorhome, as not wanting a cab over or bus.
Is one maker better than the other? Pros and Cons really appreciated
Thanks in advance

saxman99, Dec 2, 1:05pm
What year? Depending on age some of them are the same van but with the badged brand providing the drive train.

I have an older (2001) Mercedes sprinter 2.2cdi with 370,000 on the clock, runs like new no complaints. Body has small areas of rust here and there, some are worse than others, definitely something to look out for.

andy61, Dec 2, 1:10pm
The VW Crafter and Mercedes Sprinter are the same van! Share the same engine etc, just different panels on the front.

intrade, Dec 2, 2:29pm
that's like euro 1 emissions . only danger on them old ones is they rust like hell.
The newer stuff i have a email from one who spent 10 grand on repairs that did not fix the limp mode including exchange of the high pressure pump and a other dpf. . i did read the diagnostic and could tell it was most probably one or more faulty fuel injector that they never changed . just mentioned in the final failed diagnosys repair that a injector was showing to be at its limmit. It most probably needs a new engine if a injector was running in a boor for that long probably have low compression from boor-wash and filling the dpf with sooth.

intrade, Dec 2, 2:34pm
that is sort of true till 2017 from there on the crafter is a MAN-tge .
also some mix and match its why i did not buy a crafter and they want ridicules money for clapped out trash.
basically better to wait till a few more receivership come online in camper sales

intrade, Dec 2, 2:38pm
basically its not worth to get a full camper as almost all are above 3500kg= you need a expensive cof. Then you might as well buy a big truck and get a truck license if you want a rolling house.
Otherwise you can buy a lot of hotels and motels for the money campers still cost.

richardmayes, Dec 2, 4:23pm
I can't offer any comparison, but we had a VW CT35 (5-cylinder turbo diesel) based 4-berth rental one for a week, and it exceeded all of my expectations, it was streets ahead of all of the other light commercial vans and trucks I've driven (Mainly Toyota Hiaces and Mitsi Canters.) Would buy one of those in a heartbeat if I was looking at owning this type of vehicle.

Had to be careful to keep the speed down to 100 on Sth Island highways.

I forget what the clean water supply tank / grey water holding tank capacity was, but with 2 adults and a child being pretty sparing we still managed to use the whole tank, every day. tanks could have done with being twice the size!

s_nz, Dec 2, 4:27pm
I don't know anything about the crafter or spritner, but do know that Fiat is the market leader in this space. In short their platform is FWD, making it eaisier for the manufacturer to built the camper shell on, and allowing them to get everything lower (less windage, better stability, easyier access. Also they offer a wider track on the rear axle (will give better stability), unlike the RWD vans which tend to have the body well overhanging the rear wheels.

Not a fan of fiats automated manual transmission though.

Quite a few squeeze in just under the 3500kG GVM limit.

i.e. page 6 here: https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/hubfs/6670192/Assets/Downloadable%20PDFs/Catalogues/smartrv-buerstner-2020-motorhomes-catalogue.pdf

Had a fiat based coach built, 4 berth campervan as a rental, just under 3,500kg as a rental. On a cof anyway as a rental, but was nice to not be limited to 90km/h. Downside is you don't get much payload. We went accross a weightbridge at one point to use a dump station, and were close to maxing it out, despite only having three people, with one being a baby.

stevo2, Dec 2, 5:03pm
You set the bar pretty low with your comparisons but you are correct, the VW is a nice ride.

sr2, Dec 2, 6:48pm
+1 for the Ducato.

tamarillo, Oct 15, 5:17pm
only partly they still used their own engines. As other said since 2017 they parted ways and vow now mostly front drive.
Op, condition and mileage and servicing are more important than vw or merc badge. Both proved very reliable and long running so it’s question of which deal you find assuming you’re looking pre 2017. The advantage they have is being rear wheel drive though not everyone feels that’s needed. Also look at transits.