Peeling bonnet paint

Page 1 / 2
jojo76, Oct 22, 6:47pm
We were meant to have someone coming to look at our vehicle tomorrow, my husband waterblasted it, it already has several paint chips on the bonnet we bought colour matched paint which is no where near the right colour, anyway that the least of our worries.
We have a patch (pictured) where the paint has peeled to the bare metal. We don’t live close to a panel painter to pop it round for a quote to fix.
Does anyone know the cost of getting a bonnet repaint or have you any other ideas?
Just want to know a cost before we a potential buyer turning up.
Thanks

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1422415632.jpg

kazbanz, Oct 22, 6:51pm
Count on $250.00-$300.00. That's to repaint the bonnet. That said. I'd be tempted to clean up the edges where its peeled and puff a VERY light coat of the not so good color match on then 10 minutes later a thicker coat.
No it won't look fantastic but a truck load better than the peeled paint.

mrfxit, Oct 23, 8:11am
Thats not pretty at all.
It's had a seriously crappy paint job done previously to cause that sort of flaking.
It's very hard to say if it's going to peal further or not, when sanding it for touch up painting.

gpg58, Oct 23, 8:49am
Seems likely to me, that if its that bad on bonnet, then the roof and other panels will not be far behind, meaning a full repaint of car is probally best option for any buyer.
Unless an expensive model, i would just sand edges and spray with the paint you got, as a quick patchup job, if just cheap transport for someone.

kazbanz, Oct 23, 9:35am
Sorry mate I don't agree. I will put money (ok ok a chokkie fish) that the front of the car is peppered with stone chips. The chips haven't been repaired or even pencil touched. Water and crud has had a path to get in there. That's given an edge for the water blaster then to lift.
My guess is that its the front of one of those very light brown Subaru legacy/outback models.

mrfxit, Oct 23, 9:48am
I can see a lot more bubbling in the area & evidence on top of the chrome of other rough touch ups.
Only ever seen a poor foundation lift like that before.

franc123, Oct 23, 12:37pm
Might be easiest to just discount off the asking price the reasonable costs of getting it redone. The only other alternative is to try and strike it lucky and find another undamaged bonnet in the right colour.

pettal, Oct 23, 4:27pm
I'd say the lesson to take away from this = dont water blast a car as if you are trying to remove moss from the footpath .

jojo76, Oct 23, 6:11pm
Thanks for your replies, it is a Toyota vanguard. The bubbling you may see is - isn’t but water. Anyway I’ll have another look, but I think it is just the bonnet.

jojo76, Oct 23, 7:14pm
Check and it is just the bonnet.

toenail, Oct 23, 8:22pm
don't bother with amateur touch up, it won't match and makes it look worse. Just leave it as-is and discount a few hundred dollars.

gpg58, Oct 23, 11:11pm
I wonder if insurance would pay for repair? if it Was accidental damage.

mrfxit, Oct 24, 10:36am
Arrh ok, good update

elect70, Oct 24, 11:52pm
Irepainted the roof of my range rover but made the mistake of using 2 different brands .I bought 1L Dulon but had a litre of that Lindar from SC left over from a previous job .suposed to be laquer Sanded the Dulon with 1000 grit first . But 6 months later its peeling .

franc123, Oct 25, 2:13am
Lol that was always going to happen. P1000 sanding is far too fine, I would have done that with no higher than 600.

lookoutas, Oct 25, 3:11pm
Exactly

tig22, Oct 26, 10:20am
Looks like a poorly prepped aftermarket bonnet to me. Exposed area looks like e-coat.

itsafamilything, Oct 26, 12:23pm
Either get it done professionally or not at all. Start doing a botchy spray job and it is anyone's guess what may be hidden as far as the potential buyer is concerned.

jojo76, Oct 26, 2:07pm
We were first owner out of Japan, so maybe for whatever reason it has been poorly repainted. Definitely not by us.

jojo76, Oct 28, 3:49pm
The person didnt want the vehicle in the end.
So ive had a quote - $1200 to paint the bonnet and guards as here is a small chip again to the bare metal on one side.
Ive emailed the insurance company to ask if something like this is covered. Im assuming not, but no harm in asking.

Is there any other alternatives? we think we may hang on to the vehicle for another year yet.

jojo76, Oct 30, 12:05pm
So even though I stated the damage was accidental due to water blasting, we cant claim under our insurance. Stink :(

lovelurking, Oct 30, 6:10pm
Is it a good, safe and reliable vehicle ?
If yes, then I would be inclined to just keep it until it was stuffed and not worry about its looks.
If you don’t want it any more, sell it as is and don’t waste your money on a do up, put the money into the replacement one.
That’s my 2 bobs worth !

bazfan, Oct 30, 7:08pm
That’s high- try and get another quote.

jojo76, Oct 30, 8:01pm
Yep, in the process of getting a couple more

jojo76, Oct 30, 9:42am
Interestingly USA had issues with Toyota’s in blizzard white (which ours is) peeling. Google tells me there was no known issues however in NZ.
https://a1performanceautorepair.com/toyotas-blizzard-pearl-paint/