My daughter bid on a car Reserve not met Then

Page 1 / 2
happs1, Nov 22, 4:28pm
Then the seller dropped the reserve so then the reserve was met. So I organised with the seller to get a AA inspection on it. 10 days before the auction finished. Then the seller asked the night before inspection that he couldn't make the inspection. {hospital appointment) It was just enough notice to postpone the inspection. Re-booked the inspection and the night before my daughter was out bid . So I postpones the inspection once again. So I let the seller know that I have cancelled the inspection. Seller came back with watch the auction as the new bidder might not go through with it. Auction closes tomorrow night and two bids have been removed and seller texts me and says your leading again. My daughter doesnt want to go through with the auction without a inspection is done. What is her rights on this now. Bearing in mind the reserve was lowed to her bid price.

sw20, Nov 22, 4:37pm
She doesn't have to buy anything she doesn't want to.

Trademe is an advertising medium despite the BS they tell you about legally binding bids.

IMO this all sounds very dodgy. Sounds like seller got mates to jack the price up then when your daughter didn't outbid them, he removed his mates bids.

happs1, Nov 22, 4:41pm
I was wondering similar if he got mates to up the bids. My daughter asked him that it would depend on a AA inspection if she goes through with the auction. He hasn't replied .

happs1, Nov 22, 4:42pm
I didnt realize that the seller could lower the reserve, to meet a bid that was under the reserve.

sw20, Nov 22, 4:46pm
I didn't think that was possible either.

intrade, Nov 22, 4:50pm
really depends what car it is. you know that a AA inspection. They are not known for finding real expensive problems.

what car year make model milage?

happs1, Nov 22, 4:59pm
2011 Nissan Qashqai Ti 162 thousand ks on the clock

happs1, Nov 22, 5:02pm
I tried to convince my daughter to save a bit longer for low ks and she is impatience, due to having a 3 month old baby and her partner takes the car to work.

msigg, Nov 22, 5:21pm
Well if you have the seller phone number then just tell them that you won't buy before it is inspected, so if she wins the auction get the AA to do the inspection then, if happy buy the car, if not then tell him or her forget it. You do not have to buy, they can't make you, regardless of any rules.
As sw20, seller sounds like an egg to me. Just keep his phone number till after the auction and call then see what gives, if he won't give it to you then walk away.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 5:59pm
I struggle to understand the need for a 4x4 type vehicle she is paying a premium for. Im 100% certain she will get a people mover or station wagon with more room and lower miles for the same money.
With this specific vehicle I appreciate the advice others have offered but frankly the seller has already shown they are prepared to engage in dodgy dealing. If they are like that pre sale then what are they prepared to do post sale when they have her money.
But if she decides to go ahead then ensure any sale is totally conditional to all or any Pre Purchase inspections.

happs1, Nov 22, 6:16pm
I really appericate the advice :)
The reason she was looking for this type of vehicle was so it could tow a popup camper they have . This one had a towbar . Also she looks at safety ratings. . Me I look at the fuel costs and maintenance costs.
I text the seller and said ok let me know if you want a inspection or if you want the bid removed.

toenail, Nov 22, 6:16pm
stay away from dodgy sellers who doesn't answer questions or phone calls.
there are usually hidden problems with the car as well.

i would not bid on anything until fully test driven, paint thickness measured, history DTC read out, underbody inspected, all recalls carried out etc etc

franc123, Nov 22, 6:57pm
I wouldnt be crying if she missed out on it, that's actually quite high kms for a modern Nissan. For goodness sake dont bid too much for the sake of securing it, in a private sale situation I wouldnt be paying more than $8.5-9k for one of those.

saxman99, Nov 22, 7:06pm
Just request your bid be removed.

tony9, Nov 22, 7:19pm
Don't bid until the inspection is done. When you bid you are making a contractual commitment.

rover79, Nov 22, 7:21pm
How can you get caught out at bidding at a price under reserve. because you just can’t lower the reserve to what someone has bid.
Could it be done in this scenario the seller gets a couple of other people to bid up to reserve then that means reserve is met. then remove those two bids. So then it stays with reserve meat

rover79, Nov 22, 7:31pm
How come I put that in the search box and it doesn’t show up

tygertung, Nov 22, 7:32pm
Those popup campers are designed to be light, so almost any car could tow one of them no problem. Maybe an original mini would find it a bit of a challenge, but.

yz490, Nov 22, 7:39pm
Think the seller is trying to do the right thing by offering to remove your bid to below reserve until the inspection is done. At least you'll have a pretty good idea on condition. People on here can recommend a reliable testing place. [if i'm understanding the story right].

john1623, Nov 22, 8:01pm
Why cover the rego no. then put it in the listing?

stevo2, Nov 22, 8:07pm
Yeah, you see that a lot.

sw20, Nov 22, 10:00pm
Try and enforce it.

socram, Nov 22, 10:41pm
Because the scammers have difficulty in using the pics in a fake auction. When you list a car on here, you have to put in a plate or the Vin number.

Mine had personalised plates that weren't part of the sale, so I listed it with a set of plates it could have had, but that screwed up the auction as they tried to say the car may have been deregistered as they referred to the other plates. If I'd had the Vin number handy at the time it was listed, no problem. When I changed it later, added the Vin, the warning was still there.

Sometimes, if a purchase is too difficult, for whatever reason, take it as an omen and walk away.

desmodave, Nov 23, 6:48am
Yip , who will do what for you . No1 . TM protect the seller and their all important privacy .Of course TM will keep an eye on this seller, to make sure they don't rip every1 off on every trade . They may even remove their membership if it becomes a habit .Protecting thieves i don't agree with , Wonder what percentage profit TM are making off deceitful auctions . They still get the listing fee's out of the deal .

amasser, Nov 23, 8:30am
Quit the deal and buy partner a motor bike if the car is parked at work all day.