Why are Nissan murano so cheap?

countrypete, Apr 25, 8:39am
Looking to get something lowish price (under $10k) to tow my boat and be a general run-around. 4WD preferred, and notice Muranos are very low priced. That kinda puts me of, and I know they have CVT which I don't like, but is that the only issue?

curlcrown, Apr 25, 8:57am
What years are you looking at?

3tomany, Apr 25, 9:15am
Pip the CVT is junk and i would not tow anything but a dingy with it.

countrypete, Apr 25, 9:33am
I wasn't looking at any specific year, is there a specific model change year?

countrypete, Apr 25, 9:36am
There seem to be a lot of '04 / '05 for under $5k and 07 / '09 for under $10k

martin11, Apr 25, 9:52am
Murano tow rating is only 1500kg braked .on most of them . hope you have a small boat .

curlcrown, Apr 25, 9:52am
Is that cheap? It depends what you compare it to.

gumboot999, Apr 25, 11:24am
I have 'heard' ( no evidence/ facts) there can be problems with the 2.5 motor. seems the 3 litre is much better if you decide to buy one.

franc123, Apr 25, 11:33am
Concerns surrounding the longevity of the CVT as well as the general phobia of largish petrol V6 engines and their fuel economy are the main reasons despite the VQ being a multi award winning engine. People would rather pay twice as much up front for a diesel SUV which is a bit stupid if its going to only be occasionally used as a short haul runabout with some towing, you simply dont need diesel for that purpose. I think also the perception that Nissan simply don't make things as good as Toyota is a factor. Styling of the early versions wasn't to everybodys taste either.

meow_mix, Apr 25, 12:31pm
I always liked the Murano, I used to recommend them to people who were thinking of buying a VW Touareg. I suppose the Murano is a bit of a car/softroader and not a serious 4WD SUV. Top Gear rated them very highly, but as above that delicate CVT trans is not the best for towing a boat. Seem like very good value though.

bumfacingdown, Apr 25, 3:15pm
Altho the outfit in Auckland I contacted stated the only thing they would recommend if doing a lot of towing was to put an external trans cooler in.

countrypete, Apr 26, 8:54pm
Thanks for your views. So, no specific issues other than an "iffy" trans? I know the towing weight is low - my boat is around1800kgs but the ramp is only 3km away, so maybe no real issue.

lakeview3, Apr 26, 8:57pm
x1
Is it coz the Nissan Murano are ugly? 🤡

201, Apr 27, 3:02pm
I don't know about 05-07 Murano but had farmer in work couple months ago & I was asking about his 2wd, single cab ute which was an 05. He said "don't buy one, they crack the chassis" Since heard it was prevalent & also spoke with a mate who is car salesman of 30yrs who said around that period the quality of Nissan "nosedived". Hopefully has surfaced again!

meow_mix, Apr 27, 3:22pm
Nissan quality did go down after they were acquried by Renault in 1999, so cars like the reliable Pulsar were replaced with the dodgy Tiida. Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn didn't have much choice though, Nissan were about to collapse and go bankrupt so they went through huge restructuring and cost-cutting, Nissan who once made a turbo version of anything you could imagine suddenly made almost no sports cars. But Ghosn's plan worked and Nissan became profitable again. All these years later Nissan's quality is back and so are some of the inspiring sports cars.

s_nz, Apr 27, 5:21pm
I recall shopping for a new 5 seat soft SUV in 2006. Were coming from a (non turbo diesel, no air conditioning) nissan ute, so nissan was the first place we looked. X-Trail had uncomfortable seats. Murano was both too expensive & too thristy.

I think as a older used car, buyers car less about the luxury credentials of a car, and more about fuel consumption, maintenance costs etc. a Murano is a heavy (1832kg), and farily thristy car (10.9L/100km) relative to something like a Rav4, 5 seat Out-lander etc.

And for the few used car buyers after a luxury vehicle, something with a premium badge is reasonably obtainable, like the well liked Lexus RX.

And the appearance of the car doesn't appeal to everybody.

Tow rating on the Murano is 1500kg. You would likely be alright given it is a big heavy vehicle, but if I was buying something for the purpose of towing, I would try and get a car that was rated appropriately.

lakeview3, Apr 27, 6:12pm
I see someone said they got taken over by Renault- that will be why then lol 😂

tamarillo, Apr 27, 7:15pm
they call it an alliance, where each owns shares in other and they then share technology. The Murano though is pure Nissan designed in states for US market.
Mitsubishi is now part of the alliance.

lakeview3, Apr 27, 7:40pm
mitsubishi have always been pretty ugly also lol. I will make an exception for the outlander but that’s it! 😂

martin11, Apr 28, 7:18am
Got Brakes on the trailer ?

3tomany, Apr 28, 8:48am
Pulling it out of the ramp would be my issue with that.

curlcrown, Apr 28, 9:19am
There's a lot of anti CVT sentiment around, much like people used to be wary of any automatic not many decades ago. Some of the problem, I believe, is that in the early days people used to service them with the incorrect oil and it caused them to fail early. Now there is a lot more expertise around when it comes to CVT.

stevo2, Apr 28, 10:56am
I agree although in their early years, many of the CVT's were prone to failure. Later models are quite reliable and trouble free.
My problem with them is the way they drive. Not engaging with the driver at all. All well and good if your car is an appliance to get from A to B but no fun at all if you enjoy driving.

grantm, Aug 15, 11:53pm
The Nissan CVT is and has been a piece of junk - avoid like the plague. check videos about it on You Tube