Jump Starter kit

Page 1 / 2
kiwilandchch, May 29, 1:03pm
auction 3105467848 . Anyone tried one there or own one. ?
Do they work are they good as long term solution to carry as society
of being stuck somewhere cause of a unforeseen flat battery .

intrade, May 29, 1:12pm
no they are crap i just ordered the projecta professional with charge pad from repco under 500 trade They do not list that one on 30% off but you should get a similar price IS1500

My one blew up after 4 uses the one in your picture my one was GM branded cells go out of balance on the crapola ones watch jerry-bs corner on youtube blow almost all of them up.

kiwilandchch, May 29, 1:30pm
cheers for that

intrade, May 29, 1:31pm
thats what my one looks like i got it from westfalia.ch
they wont jumper a Diesel with a real flat battery.
out of stock since longer however
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/capacitor-based-12v-300a-jump-starter/p/MB3765

intrade, May 29, 1:42pm
i think they deleted most his video he blew about 10 up only 2 made it 2 minute 57 sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcFxYtTq44

s_nz, May 29, 1:43pm
It's just somebody reselling the "GKFLY Car Jump Starter" from a china source like aliexpress.

You can go on aliexpress, and check reviews if you like. Biggest seller has receved 2218 reviews for this product and average review is 4.7/5 stars.

Normally I would say to just order straight from china via aliexpress, and cut out the middle man, but there is something is up with the Jump starter packs in general on that platform. Seems a lot of them a either out of stock in china distribution centers, don't ship to NZ, or charge abnormally high shipping. Price is USD40.68, but for some reason shipping is USD199. Usually shipping would be free or at least under US$8 on stuff like this.

I have one of these for each of my two cars:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000185955491.html

Basically the same but from another brand.

Previously shipping was free to NZ, but now they don't deliver to NZ at all. For me they each turned up in a couple of weeks, and total cost delivered to my door was something like NZ$65 - $70.

I have never tested it in anger, but a multi-meter test showed voltage was where it should be. Neither of my car's crank an engine off the 12v battery anyway, so all the power that is needed is to fire up the computer to liven the DC-DC converter from the traction pack.

Downside is they put little batteries in because of the no lack of cranking power, so they are easier to run flat with accesories. My SUV is stacked with power draining accessories too. Kickplate lights at every door, puddle lights, power boot etc. What motivated me to get a case where I parked my car tight against a fence on the drivers side. auto headlights turn off when the car is turned off and the drivers door is opened (which I never did as I got out the passenger side. ) Had jumper leads, but needed to roll the car down the driveway to get access. would have been impossible if The slope had of been the other way around, and would have needed so source super long jump leads, remove a battery from a car, or call for a commercial service out to a small beach town etc.

s_nz, May 29, 1:56pm
It's not a surprising outcome that the Lithem jump packs swell / explode when overloaded.

In short the Jump packs quite a bit more voltage than a 12V car battery. This means that they can get away with skinny wires etc as minor voltage losses across wires don't matter.

There is no way these packs can handle cranking out 100+ Amps for more than a few seconds. They have pretty much no cooling, and are just relying on their on thermal mass to avoid overheating.

You really need to connect them, get the engine started, and get them disconnected. And not to use them for any high drain uses that are going to last for more than 5 seconds.

s_nz, May 29, 2:18pm
And the capacitor based jump packs sound awesome,. but i didn't have the budget for them.

tamarillo, May 29, 2:30pm
How does it charge? Is cable a USB plug so easy for NZ use. Good for motorbikes I reckon.

intrade, May 29, 2:34pm
Not waterproof and i don't like them due to fire hazard the cheap power bank ones they turned in to jump starters

s_nz, May 29, 2:57pm
Has micro usb port. Comes with cable so you can plug it into any USBA phone charger or similar.

I don't know much about bikes, but kinda assumed that the combination of minimal cargo space, ability to push start (bikes are mostly still manual right), and lesser number of accessories to leave on would make a jump starter less practical.

peanuts37, May 29, 9:04pm

budgel, May 29, 9:22pm
Try using tinyURL : https://tinyurl.com/4zwar7mj

tamarillo, May 29, 10:15pm
Plenty of luggage space, and bikes are heavy can’t push start easily without a big hill or lots of people!

gpg58, May 29, 11:58pm
Was wondering if these are any good? cheapest price i have found for it so far.
https://www.qualitytools.co.nz/ultra-capacitor-jump-starter-p-9913.html

Do capacitor ones stay charged long, or are they almost always needing charging first?

intrade, May 30, 7:59am
i seen a charge still in a day but over time it disappears. A super capacitor is not a battery and a circuit electronics will use power . unlike the media and poletitions tell you otherwise it seems in todays enviro media bs.

callum.irvine, May 30, 8:22am
These things are illegal to send without the required paperwork and correct packaging. Your typical ali seller chucks things in a plastic bag and hopes for the best. They are realising you can't send li-ion batteries like that. And presumably their or our, customs are actually policing it. Powerbanks are prohibited items by normal air freight.

intrade, May 30, 8:28am
correct there has to be a phone number and the phone has to be answered or a 70,000$ fine will be issued to sending real dangerous items like lion battery manufactured poorly by air mail. Them hoverboard things on fire was one of the first who made Them introduce the law. And who knows why malaisian airline disapeared that was the time before this law was active. You are also now not allowed loose AA batterys in aircraft They have to be in a holder.
Lithium battery fire chemically makes its own oxigen like substance when on fire= impossible to put out that fire like a normal fire.

s_nz, May 30, 9:07am
Energy stored in the ultra capacitors dissipates fairly quickly. (Often a matter of hours).

Most of the ultra-capacitor Jump packs promote the ability to "charge" in a few minutes off a vehicle battery that is too flat to crank the engine, then be able to release that energy that took minutes to collect in a say three seconds, allowing the engine to be started.

Of course there is a limit to how flat the battery can be to allow this (one linked above says greater than 5 volts). If the car's battery is completly dead, one would need to charge the ultracapactor from another source first. Fastest and most obvious is anouther car's start battery via the clamps. But most also support charging from USB (which does take a bit longer), so any power bank, plug in phone charger etc could be used.

Not having a battery is a big selling point as these units should last much longer, and are unaffected be extreme hot and cold.

Note some capacitor jump starters are hybrid units. They have a little battery that can be used to charge the capacitors.

gpg58, May 30, 11:22am
Re- Note some capacitor jump starters are hybrid units. They have a little battery that can be used to charge the capacitors.

Thanks, yes that one does(6ah), claims 4 minutes to charge off it, 20 minutes off usb, 2 Mins off 12V 10A, and 45 seconds off full car battery.
Found it for 349.95 incl (delivered). Have just ordered one.
https://superstart.net.nz/power-supply-capacitor-jump-starter-600a/

kazbanz, May 30, 4:17pm
frankly they are good for small jap cars but big stuff I wouldn’t bother

blogzy, May 30, 4:42pm
So repco/supercheap can not compete cost wise with this capacitor type jumper ?

gpg58, May 30, 5:45pm
repco one, 2 out of 4 reviews said junk(and was out of stock everywhere i checked)
https://www.repco.co.nz/en/globes-batteries-electrical/battery-chargers-jump-starters-leads/jump-starters/repco-ultra-capacitor-jumpstarter-12v-1200a-rjs109a/p/A1302497
Did not see any supercheap listings. Did see someone had a tiny 300amp one for around $70, but if its a bullshit rating like reco 1200amp(really 600), it would likely only start a small motorbike.
Generally though, i have had a reasonable run out of both brands for battery chargers and inverters, so maybe just 2 unlucky folk, one twice.

blogzy, May 30, 8:55pm
Anyone tried Micks Garage in the UK. They list a few, not sure how they would compare with the $350 superstart.

intrade, May 31, 9:07am
They maybe unable to ship it . i know fluids are come up as unable to ship in checkout. You would best ask question first before ordering if you were to order
also they are not in uk .ie is ireland