3L 2.8 Hilux turbo kit.

thebluboy, Mar 22, 9:27pm
Anyone know where to get them from brand new like a safari one and how much!

intrade, Mar 23, 12:10am
theseengines are all cracking heads with turbo .if you wish to have a cracked head - fit the charger from a 2.4 as it is the same engine 2L -t
waste of time with all the problems you will crate in my opinion. not to mention the work for all new exhaust piping that is also required .

thebluboy, Mar 23, 1:13am
Seen a few second hand ones but wanting brand new.

mrfxit, Mar 23, 1:31am
Bad idea to fit a brand new turbo to an old engine, perticulerly a tired old non turbo engine.
UNLESS you know exactly what you are doing, then forget it & save up for an originaly turbo'd unit

for_an_angel, Mar 23, 11:33pm
Is there a Diesel Services in your area! There is one in Welly, Auckland and Hamilton but unsure about Guzzy any how they will be able to get you a Safari bolt on kit for a 3L. I have done a few and seen a few. Never seen one crack a head after a kit was installed as most people fit larger exhausts but one regular customer fits a new set of pistons every 100000kms as the STD pistons crack because he runs 12psi instead of the 8-10psi recomended but for the power gain he dosn't seam to mind. The engine had done over 500000kms last time I seen it.

thebluboy, Mar 28, 4:57pm
yeah there is one here i think i've heard an ad on the radio! Will check it out today.

1ollie, Sep 6, 10:03pm
They only crack heads when they are not looked after properly or they have problems allready so dont be scared off by rumors or brand hate!
Have seen these motors take lots of abuse including a mates 5L which took 18psi daily with no love.
They are very simple to do but I dout you will find a kit for it at a reasonble price but any performance style workshop will be able to help in making a custom kit for you ! get a turbo manifold made from steam tube that should cost around $2-300 for a simple log manifold or upto $4-650 for something flash(depending on where you go), use a T25/28 or small T3 or similar sized turbo which you can buy for around $250 second hand or $600 new, then you just have to factor in turbo pipe, intake pipe & filter, silicone joiners for piping, bigger exhaust and someone who knows how to tune/turn up the pressure on the diesel pump correctly! and it should cost no more than $3000 for a simple setup running around 12-14psi max that will give really good gains, of course if you want to run more boost etc factor in a more $ for an intercooler and upgraded radiator etc