2012-2018 4wd manual diesel ute recommendations

j_fung9007, Nov 8, 10:10am
Hi all, just want to get all of your owners' experience and knowledge in regards of getting a late model 4wd manual diesel ute, due to my limited price range $35k max, is quite hard to find anything low mileage (preferably under 100k). However, there are a few Colorados fits into this but I heard their engine is not reliable, your thoughts? Currently got an old 1998 Pajero, have done over 300k so this will be a major upgrade for me and I don't think driving comfort/road noises will bug me in the new vehicle. Just want something reliable and basic maintenance/oil change I can do myself.
My current picks are:
1. D-Max
2. Triton
3. Hilux
4. Navara or Ranger/BT50 (not a big fan of their under 15mins oil change and apparently if something goes wrong with these utes, repair bills are expensive).

franc123, Nov 8, 10:28am
What specifically have you been told about the Colorado engine?

j_fung9007, Nov 8, 10:35am
A lot of common engine issues, the 2.8L engines were blowing up between 50-100kms.

gpg58, Nov 8, 10:38am
Are you sure you want a manual one, given they have those horrid dual mass flywheels these days. When buying my 2013 navara, i was advised to get an auto, especially for any heavy towing.
What do others think? of manual versus auto with modern models.

Likely selling mine soon, black d40 rx dc 4wd auto, with canopy, mags etc, done 65k, from my checking, for a private sale of a non mint condition vehicle, i think 20-25k will likely be tops.

franc123, Nov 8, 10:56am
In what way? I wouldnt be taking much notice of that.

intrade, Nov 8, 12:00pm
i spoke to a guy who has a 2017 i think foton looks ok and he did not say anything bad . The thing is basically anything is now bad you just got to find the best out of the bad stuff. I sortof like the greatwall 2.0 engine from a engineering point its got not to much plastic garbage. Aso the foton looked like you could work on it. and then there is the new LDV ute
Basically the worst brand could become the best . Toyota was the worst brand when it started out so they became the best brand and now they are sailing the Titanic togather with all other brands.
If you remember kia used to be the worst brand in 1990 while toyota was best. now they are as good as the others. Only problem i see is parts supply.
mitsubishi was the first brand to show what onhanglow engeneered computer did on cars Then they got better and now they go down hill again with What i hear incorrect machined blocks on some of there utes to blow head-gaskets due to corner cutting manufacturing.
They all do this the question is can you live with the costs your facing .
Other then that it wont matter what you buy its all good. or as i see things its all Trasheaps + or -

tweake, Nov 8, 12:02pm
avoid the manual rangers. the gearboxes crap out.

intrade, Nov 8, 12:07pm
be warned if you dont find out the correct servicing of a vehicle then it will go nuclear. sales agents are not interested to service your vehicle correctly unless they can make easy money= not interested if its a warranty service.
Classic example sales rep ranger lease vehicle leaking shocks He said if i would drive it has no shocks. Dealer said its not bad enough for a warranty claim. And thats got nothing to do with who the lease company is . Basically comercial only have standard warranty no cga so they just push problems along till the warranty is out and then never fix it because no warranty now. and it gets sold off to some mugs like people on here or other auction sites etc who buy ex lease vehicles . Yea not really what id like to buy if you ask me.

tweake, Nov 8, 12:09pm
auto's for sure.
6+ speed auto's simply have better economy, handle towing well and reliability is up with the manuals. i'm not sure if ford even make a manual ranger anymore.

we just got a new work ute and got a mitsi triton because of price and that they had a single cab auto. nissan is similar in price but only have them in manuals.

bwg11, Nov 8, 12:58pm
I've changed my view of the auto/manual debate in the last 30 years. Today, I think there has t be a really special reason to demand a manual, particularly on a diesel with its narrow rev band of useful torque, around town and off-road you are on the gear stick constantly. Modern multi ratio autos are really much better than those 3 and 4 speeders of yesteryear. You hear of expensive auto overhauls, but we know Terrano boxes (auto and manual) all expire early, my son's Ranger had an auto box replaced under warranty at 50k, so I don't really think reliability is a reason to go manual, and I'm yet to hear another convincing reason. Just my opinion.

j_fung9007, Nov 8, 1:17pm
From a driving experience point of view I prefer manual -much more enjoyable. I don't get as tired if I drive a manual rather than an auto esp in long distances. I don't have a boat or caravan but I lived on a lifestyle block and tow a trailer full of dirt, mulch, timber and etc from time to time.

poppy62, Nov 8, 3:15pm
Ssangyong or LDV. both worth a look.

3tomany, Nov 8, 4:03pm
All modern utes can have expensive failures. Even a clutch replacement will be 3-4k never mind DPF issues that can be 2-14k and both are dependent on how the previous owner drove it. If i were you i would stretch the budget and get a new one.

sw20, Nov 8, 4:18pm
Huh?

The NVH of the vehicle has far more to do with how exhausting long drives are than what transmission you use.

jeff1234, Nov 8, 8:56pm
For what its worth, we got a 2016 D-Max, might be in that price range. Did a lot of research at the time, and these came up best if you want a comfortable work horse, no DPF or any of that and a 3.0L diesel. Only dome 90k, no issues, used off road, pulling 2-3 ton trailers, flat deck and regularly carries pallets. Mine is a manual, because I prefer them. Had a BT50 auto as a curtesy vehicle, didnt like it, was a bit of lag at takeoff etc, looked to be thirsty too compared to ours.

gamefisher, Nov 8, 10:20pm
Manual is old school thinking go auto.

davidmoore, Nov 9, 5:34am
get the D Max,,plenty of tourque,excellent build quality ,really nice to drive and hassle free,

rovercitroen, Nov 9, 9:27am
Don't know about the Colorados. Two guys at work with Colorados under 30,000 kms have recently had the auto gearbox replaced under warranty. I read somewhere that the manual Colorado gearboxes can be fragile if used for towing.

s_nz, Nov 9, 10:16am
Do you want a single or double cab, and a flat deck or wellside?

As mentioned, You can get a new 4x4 manual Mahindra pik up 4x4 manual for routhly the upper limit of your budget. They are well regarded, and of course buying new gets you a 3 year /100,000km warranty. Would need to take it to the dealer for the first few services to protect the warrenty rather than DIY.

intrade, Oct 26, 1:19pm