Buying a RHD converted car

Page 1 / 2
v0rtrex, Feb 26, 10:17am
Most people I have talked to say don't buy a converted car. is this a bad idea?

msigg, Feb 26, 10:23am
No, nothing wrong with it if done properly and complies. I have a left hook original jeep and have no trouble driving, I think with the left hook it is more dangerous when overtaking on the open road but that doesn't apply to me. Each to their own.

m16d, Feb 26, 10:25am
What was the reason "most people " had for not buying one. ?

intrade, Feb 26, 10:26am
well my mk1 golf is definetly converted as they all are for rhd i think.
Basically if it is legally done why not. the only problem will be finding conversion bits if they fail. other parts should be more easy to find then the rhd ones as only a few countrys have rhd steering. usually countrys the poms invaded back in the day.

s_nz, Feb 26, 10:34am
I wouldn't have any issue buying something that has had a high quality conversion (i.e. dodge ram). But would shy away from low quality conversions.

v0rtrex, Feb 26, 11:04am
Generally seems to be poor workmanship and/or availability of parts.

v0rtrex, Feb 26, 11:22am
More dangerous. how? Too far to the left/right or is it a visibility thing?

tony9, Feb 26, 11:38am
That would be something to look out for on all used vehicles. At least if it has been through the certification process (which all LHD conversions would have) then it it has been properly checked. Unlike an uninsured accident repair.

gph1961, Feb 26, 11:57am
properly sometimes aint
ya pays ya money
ya takes ya chances

differentthings, Feb 26, 1:36pm
I think he was talking about driving a left hand drive on the road. you have to pull right over to the other lane before you can see it it's clear or not when you want to pass someone. It's easier if you have a passenger in the car as they can see if there is a car coming or not and let you know.

trogedon, Feb 26, 4:01pm
I have an MGB that was converted to LHD then back to RHD.

tgray, Feb 26, 4:16pm
What type of car are we talking?

m16d, Feb 26, 4:42pm
Back in the day, Morris Minors would have been an easy convert.
The steering rack had 2 pinions in it, and the pedal box could be unbolted and shifted to the other side. all the mounting points were already there.

msigg, Feb 26, 5:07pm
Yea differentthings has my thoughts.

marte, Feb 26, 5:17pm
Different headlights for right hand drive, maybe different rear view mirrors.

I was trying to find a bonnet release cable for a right hand drive Audi Allroad last week & couldn't & then realised it's because of the catch lever, buy a LHD setup & just swap the cable itself.
Unlike the Alfa 33 where it took me 2 months to find it inside the glovebox.

smallwoods, Feb 26, 6:32pm
RX4 rotary was easy to convert to LHD, everything just swapped over, steering box, the lot.

smallwoods, Feb 26, 6:33pm
You just watch the passengers face when wanting to pass a big truck.
Pull out, watch their jaw drop, pull back in.
Works a charm.

buyit59, Feb 26, 7:29pm
Once had a 66 Buick converted to RHD in 1967 and I had no issues with it ( or driving it ) when I owned it in 1983-1985 . Have also had a LHD one that gave no issues except when trying to overtake big trucks. wife wasnt keen on seeing potential disaster before I could !
some people don't like conversions because they feel car loses its originality. but I don't care . I do find RHD much easier to drive solo or even with a scared passenger .

v0rtrex, Feb 27, 10:56am
2008 Ford Mustang, was converted by the original owner when imported by the sounds. trying to track down who did the conversion as this makes a big difference so I am told.

toenail, Feb 27, 12:41pm
don't see the point of converting at all. just drive the original.

half of the cars in Russia in RHD due to imports from Japan, and no one cares.

807, Feb 27, 10:05pm
. As seen on You Tube videos !

serf407, Feb 27, 10:32pm
Tass new agency 1st July 2020 "New restrictions on import of right-hand drive cars to Russia enter into force"
The procedure for customs clearance of vehicles will become more complicated"
The Russians for importing used JDMs etc need to obtain/ pay for a technical compliance certificate, pay a tax based on the car's value and a car disposal levy where required.

Putin asked Toyota (Mitsui & co etc) & others to build a LHD assembly plant in Vladivostok more than ten years ago because there were so many accidents with the RHD JDMs. The Prado line closed 2015.

saki, Feb 28, 11:18am
SAVED.

trogedon, Feb 28, 2:33pm
Yep, incredibly high crash rate / viewing. Some powered by Vodka I suppose.

franc123, Feb 28, 3:56pm
Biggest things to pay attention to here is who did the work and how long ago? If it's a well known reputable company and it was several years ago them chances are what niggly issues it may have had have been sorted out. People speak of "low quality conversions" which in a PPI situation can be difficult to judge or make comparisons to other similarly converted vehicles because of the concealed nature of a fair bit of the work.