What sort of mid 90s petrol 4wd is good?

dannydo, Apr 29, 6:58am
looking at geting 4wd dunoo what 2 get lol dont wont diesel ORC expensive also rego geting up there

mugenb20b, Apr 29, 7:27am
SWB Suzuki Vitara 1.6.

mugenb20b, Apr 29, 7:30am
Isuzu MU, manual,2.8 diesel. Sorry, petrol ones are not that great.

xs1100, Apr 29, 7:43am
nissan pathfinder the z24 only avaliable as a 3 dr but they tow anything go anywhere have towed a caravan all over the coromandel with one and been the most reliable car i have ever had. brought mine at 140ks and now done over 300 in last 10 yrs

intrade, Apr 29, 8:24am
best is toyota hilux 4 cilinder petrol version.

chris_051, Apr 29, 8:34am
Until you put a load behind it.
Get a Jeep I've off roaded a couple, bullet proof mechanicals, 190hp, can pick em up for 3 grand these days and shits all over the gutless V6 Surfs, Pathfinders, Pajeros in the rough stuff. Only problem I found was they are light, about 1600kg so a bit of care is needed when towing over 2 tonne, that was my only complaint.
If you want a petrol 4wd to use around town, don't, they are all crap to drive, get a Falcon or Comodore wagon instead.

dr.doolittle, Apr 29, 8:38am
Good for what!

offrd1, Apr 29, 9:18am
Second that,can't beat the Jeep,good off road as well,the Wrangler or Cherokee are both good and a lot more reliable than people on here give them credit for

woki, Apr 29, 9:26am
Suzuki Escudo / Vitara . Otherwise known as a hilux recovery kit is the way to go !

grangies, Apr 29, 9:43am
I agree. Apart from the body rust problems.

I think the thread starter need to state why he needs a 4wd.

Does he need it for the large weight, or does he need to actually go off-road!

graham32, Apr 29, 9:54am
i was looking for a jeep but so many people have put me off them.

chris_051, Apr 29, 9:57am
And I'll put my hard earned down that none have first hand experience with em.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 29, 10:11am
Have you actually done the math to confirm that Petrol is going to be cheaper for your usage and the vehicle you are most likely to purchase!

You can compare them at www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

richardmayes, Apr 29, 10:18am
We had a 2nd generation Toyota Rav4 (5-door, 2.4 litre petrol, 5 speed manual) at work for a while.

There's no diff lock, no low ratio, no winch etc so it's essentially just a 4WD car with heaps of ground clearance and heaps of headroom. As an office hack car for going to building sites to do inspections and what have you, without having to worry about getting stuck in the mud, it was ideal.

It wasn't noticably thirstier than any other mid-sized Toyota of the same era. It rode and handled almost like a car, certainly well enough for 99.2% on-road use that we put it to. Engine was surprisingly torquey.

I hate urban girly 4x4s with a passion, but this thing was a good car, I would even recommend to friends and family!

franc123, Apr 29, 10:29am
An impossible question to answer wiithout knowing what you want it to do, and what sort of on and off road mix of driving it will be used for.

klrider, Apr 29, 7:39pm
How can anyne go past a hilux, I have had a surf for 9 years, 96 V6 3.4 litre. Great wagon, once replaced a seal in the gearbox for $500 and I have done 120K in it. They drive well, have all the extras from low ratio to adjustable suspension and that other thing that holds it in gear longer for towing. Plus, great resale value.My mate had a four cylinder model, couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding and used as much gas as mine.

mrfxit, Apr 29, 8:08pm
Agree with Chris
Been there seen that / done that & followed it.
My 88 2.4 Surf has more pulling power even WITH twice the load on compared to the petrol Hilux

mrfxit, Apr 29, 8:10pm
Yep HUGE difference between a std 4cyl petrol Hilux & a Hilux SURF.
2 very different vehicles.

dannydo, Apr 30, 12:06am
wont 2 use it on road and off road,rivers,mud mayb some deep water.

dannydo, Apr 30, 12:16am
thanks 4 info you quite like the 95ckerokees.they very thirsty!

mugenb20b, Apr 30, 12:31am
Of course. But they go bloody well. And they have no chassis, it's got a monocoque body, like most cars.

offrd1, Apr 30, 2:45am
I did the same,the worst mistake i have ever made in 4x4ing DO NOT listen to them as most are full of it.I now have a Wrangler with a few mods just to make it better offrd and my wrangler gets thrashed.lol.i just love the thing.i have had some very modified 4wds and none of them come close to the little Jeep and they really are a lot of fun.one minus they like fuel but hey who cares when you are having this much fun

bubbles52, Dec 27, 2:40am
yes the jeeps are great off road and stacks of power on road, the do love fuel, but the have a solid front diff and lsd rear, not many models have those anymore