A 4wd suitable for quake damaged roads

charlie4561, Jul 4, 11:11am
With the roads being in a bad state around Christchurch I am thinking of buying a 4WD vehicle that will ride over the nasty bumps and potholes. Have a budget of about $50K, so was thinking an early 2000s Porsche Cayenne. Any thoughts on this vehicle. Am not interested in Japanese vehicles by the way.

morrisman1, Jul 4, 9:50pm
Its already been proven that the Audi Q7 isnt suitable

http://sinkholes.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/new-zealand-earthquake-june-13th.jpg

morrisman1, Jul 4, 9:55pm
Realistically Id just make sure I have a car with good ground clearance. You dont necessarily need 4wd but many of the high ground clearance cars will have it anyway. Volvo make some nice crossovers

mrfxit, Jul 4, 10:01pm
LOL aaarrrhhhh ppffffttt.
My Surf wouldn't even notice the bump of driving over the Audi

mugenb20b, Jul 5, 12:27am
Something that has a chassis, heavy duty axles, suspension and steering. Unfortunately, that only leaves the VW Amarok 4wd, which is still nowhere near as strong as the Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series (or any other Jap 4wd). If you really want to smash up the Cayenne instead, then go for it.

richardmayes, Jul 5, 12:37am

elect70, Jul 5, 1:12am
Something with a decent chassis &coil suspension ( no airbags ) so soft roaders out . How about Range rover . grunt forhi way& solid enough for rough roads .get 1with coil suspension .

doug207, Jul 5, 3:56am
I'd have one, be an ideal daily driver.

zephyrheaven, Jul 5, 6:19am
They go for silly money because on a farm with limited access or anyone that doesnt like jetboating just uses one of them instead - you can drive them in water up to the wiper arms (trust me, been in one doing that) so perfect for everyday use in this shakey burb

johnf_456, Jul 5, 10:01am
Second this

jaydeesnr, Jul 5, 10:29am
Shutup Eccles

sw20, Jul 5, 10:58am
Instead of spending cash on a 4wd have you thought about driving around the pot holes!

The roads aren't that bad, its Christchurch, not Srebrenica.

matthew111, Jul 5, 8:58pm
every 2 wheel drive car in Chch can negotiate every bump and pot hole. Save your money.

spead, Jul 5, 11:17pm
what the man is saying is he has too much money burning a hole in his pocket and he wants to justify un necessary spending.

johnf_456, Jul 6, 12:42am
Save your money, you dont know when you will need it.Save your money, you dont know when you will need it.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 4, 4:11pm
I would get a Diesel Toureg, not only are they a HUGE amount of car for the money VW is well supported in NZ and despite having monumental amounts of power the Toureg Diesel is actually pretty cheap to run.

Avoid the Toyota, the only thing the Toyota has going for it is supposed reliability, but the new Toyota Diesels don't even have that. As a car they are not even remotely in the same league as the VW.