BMW 318TI 3 DOOR HATCH 2000-2004

stekar, Aug 5, 7:45am
looking at buying bmw 318ti hatch from 2000 - 2004, any info greatly appreciated, eg. any issues to be aware of, faults, are they are a good car, are these cars reliable , imported / nz new. auto/manual.

charlie4561, Aug 5, 8:00am
One issue with those is that the camchain guides can break which causes the camchain to slip which is a big job to put right. This is one example of when a camchain does not always mean better or maintenance free.

underconstructy, Aug 5, 8:05am
Had 3 of them never had an issue with anything at all. Only ever replaced thermostat, waterpump, brakes rotors and pads. The 316ti is also very good and amazing on fuel.

poppajn, Aug 5, 8:42am
Had a 316Ti, was a beautiful little car and yes very economical

charlie4561, Aug 5, 9:06am
Yes those cars are pretty good on gas. You can get from Johnsonville northern Wellington to Manukau, Auckland on a single 63L tank of petrol!

charlie4561, Aug 5, 9:13am
Ok that is only about 10l/100km, LOL. Official fuel consumption is 7L/100km highway which is pretty decent.

saxman99, Aug 5, 10:38am
Sometimes the autos give trouble, seems to be a bit luck of the draw. I had an auto 318i which did 412,000 k no sweat, but my bro cooked his after only 150,000. Same type of box.

Check the cooling system very carefully. It is a good efficient system that works well but after 10 years or so the plastics get brittle and some parts crack and need replacing.

Overall they are a neat car and drive really well.

tamarillo, Aug 5, 8:11pm
Cooling system and head gasket leak test is main issue. They seem a wee bit delicate in the overheating dept and easily blow head gaskets. So look for dirty foamy water in radiator and under cap. Then for clean in engine.
It's not a fault, merely a weak point on this engine.
If you can get it workshop tested for this. Especially if it's an import.
Also I'd import allow yourself a full service of all fluids inc trans flush etc as you probably won't know if it's been serviced of late. And convince yourself it's genuine miles, no matter what you're told they can and do wind them back.
If you have a BMW friendly workshop handy ask them to check it and run diagnostic scan, it's worth the cost.
Otherwise they're a simple hatch based on old model 3 series rear suspension.

kazbanz, Nov 14, 8:07am
There are a number of things to watch for.
1)oil leaks.-I know its blasphemy to suggest a bimmer leaks oil but they do.
2)hood lining,door trims and pillar covers falling off.
3)transmission from time to time.