Good Hatch Backs.

Page 1 / 2
militaris, Apr 21, 8:48am
The last few months my truck has been costing me a lot of money to keep on the road, plus the total cost of ownership is not exactly cheap.

So thinking of replacing it with a hatchback, decent ground clearance would be a advantage, All wheel drive probably would also be nice (but probably means worst economy). Also needs a sensible roof rack mounting options because I regularly carry kayaks.

I drive around 25,000km a year. Much of which would be on the open road. Plan on keeping it for around 3-5 years. Much longer and the salt-water from my kayaks cause rust issues.

So what are the options most worthy of consideration.

a.woodrow, Apr 21, 8:51am
subaru xv

tamarillo, Apr 21, 8:59am
Price range?

militaris, Apr 21, 9:05am
Under $30,000 if new.

Maybe under 20,000 if used and with low km.

stevo2, Apr 21, 9:33am
Skoda Yeti, Suzuki S-Cross, Mitzi ASX

brapbrap8, Apr 21, 9:38am
Definetly the Skoda Yeti or Subaru XV.
Otherwise look at a Mitsi Lancer, you get into a brand new one for just over $20k, just wouldn't have the ground clearance of the Skoda or Subaru.

trogedon, Apr 21, 9:44am
By "truck" do you really mean SUV?

militaris, Apr 21, 10:04am
Yeah, I currently have a 1996 Toyota Surf.

Its great off road, decent on road but it is showing its age and is starting to cost quite a bit to keep it going.

serf407, Apr 21, 10:05am
Ford Kuga used petrol. It would be more than $20K but less than $30K so within the new budget but higher than the used budget.
25K km is still ok for petrol.
Spend what is left on a trailer for the kayak transport with a fresh water washing system or use an inflatable kayak and stow in a small plastic container.

militaris, Apr 21, 10:51am
Trailers mean I have to drive slow, and inflatable kayaks are junk. So neither are a realistic option. But thanks for the suggestions.

Tested a Kuga a while back, nice truck but they a bit to cramped for me. I have long legs.

militaris, Apr 21, 10:52am
The Skoda Yeti and the Suzuki S-Cross both seem like good options. Would have to try and track down a Yeti to test drive. The Suzuki would be easy to find.

morrisman1, Apr 21, 4:18pm
Just wash your car after you have been around salt water, corrosion problem solved. Has your area got a car wash which has an under body blaster? Excellent way to get those hard to access spots

thejazzpianoma, Apr 21, 6:58pm
There is also the VW Tiguan which is effectively just a Skoda Yeti underneath with nicer options. I also like the Yeti though.

A couple of things to note, the Skoda/VW are Galvanised (I think this might also include the roof but don't know for certain on those). They are also going to be considerably cheaper to run than many of the other options, even the slower options.

The Japanese options generally are not Galvanised. Definitely drive and consider the spec of the Suzuki S-Cross as well as the Skoda/VW, let's just say the vehicles are in quite different leagues.

If considering a petrol Yeti/Tiguan, don't take with you any pre conceived ideas about cc ratings. Even the smallest 1.2 Yeti is actually as quick or quicker than some older 2.0 vehicles. Likewise the torque spread is also very good and not what you would expect from a smaller motor. VW does this purposely for economy/emissions reasons and it's the difference between a modern properly efficient engine and an old fashioned one (many new cars still have old tech engines too).

Best of luck with it all.

tamarillo, Apr 21, 7:29pm
Skoda yeti, only remotely cool option here. variety of engine options and modern dct auto.
Too daring for you? Subaru Forester, and if you want extra oomph XT turbo. But older ones are 4 speed auto (yes I know right!) and newer ones are cvt.
or, and this is what I'd be doing, if you can stretch to more, Citreon Cactus.
Sitting down again? Google it, read reviews, it's cool, it's functional, it works, it's economical. If you like it check out Gareth jones on speed video review.

militaris, Apr 22, 1:01am
One of the biggest downsides regarding the European options, wither deservingly or not, is they all seem to suffer greater depreciation then their Asian counter parts. Then it comes down to wither their slightly lower running costs would compensate for the the higher cost of actually owning one.

I basically look at two things when buying a car. Firstly it has to be comfortable to drive, then more important then initial purchase price is the predicted total cost of ownership over 3-5 years.

I am going to have to crunch a bunch of numbers and really research the options.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 3:15am
There is no such thing as good or bad depreciation (overall). All vehicles end up being worth about the same at 15 years old, so it's mathematically impossible. (the very very rare exception is the likes of your Hilux). Depreciation isn't linear though, each have their their plataus and cliffs at various times in their depreciation cycle. You simply can't go on generalisations like "Euro's do this" either.

The idea is obviously to buy a vehicle at a time where the depreciation is reasonably flat and sell it before the cliff. So if you really like a vehicle that has really high initial depreciation, buy one that is a few years old. Or if it has good initial depreciation buy a new one. There are "Euro's" that fit each of these camps.

The good thing is this is pretty predictable. Look at some actual sale prices of the same vehicles you are looking at, at an age where you would likely want to sell. Even if there is a model change in there I find the results are usually pretty accurate for purposes of predicting future depreciation (and I have done this for years).

Also, the fuel economy factor is not necessarily minor. That Hyundai Tucson above would, in real world NZ conditions use about 50% more than a petrol Yeti. That's a considerable difference.

I agree with you 100% regarding calculating the total cost of ownership. Just make sure you actually do calculate it properly and accurately. If you start using generalisations you will likely get yourself in trouble.

Best of luck with it.

tamarillo, Apr 22, 3:39am
The Hyundai is hideous, and the out backs not really a hatch, thoigh admit it's a damn good machine as a six cylinder with conventional gearbox. But man they're common now!

tamarillo, Apr 22, 3:44am
I don't agree that euros suffer greater depreciation. New BMW and mercy do but that's because they charge a huge premium and the jap imports reduce price when 5 yrs old. But others seem to hold as well as any Jap. There's exceptions of course in all countries of origin.

Where is salt water coming from? Think you mean dripping off kayaks? But good regular waxing of paint and quick hose down after carrying kayaks should suffice?

militaris, Apr 22, 4:13am
TheJazzpianoma, Yes I have already compared the prices of actual sales, hence why I said in most cases the European models depreciate faster. Over the first few years they depreciate at nearly twice the rate. Its a significant difference and these no hiding the fact. After 5 or so years the depreciation rates become quite comparable.

militaris, Apr 22, 4:18am
Yeah it drips off the kayaks for the most part.

Salt and sand gets trapped beneath roof rack rails and other crevasses, washing helps protect the visible parts, but unless the roof rack mounts are removed regularly some always remains.

msigg, Apr 22, 5:32am
Yes militaris you are correct they do depreciate rapidly, Possibly after they are out of warranty everyone thinks the vehicle will cost them big dollars. Other thing is the market for resale is smaller so of coarse they will be effected. I know you are smart enough to do your sums, good on you, hope you get something your happy with. Yea spray the roof with silicon or something.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 5:55am
I think you miss the point of the post.

tamarillo, Apr 22, 7:41am
That applies to all cars, once out of warranty they are worth much less.

_peas, Apr 22, 8:24am
Subaru Outback 3.0. Good ground clearance, great power, not too heavy on the juice for what you get from it and open road. I have just done a tour of the North Island east coast. 1160km and averaged 8l/100km, and not too high (if you are planning on throwing a kayak on the roof all the time. You'd still have money in the bank as well. Great examples around for ~$15,000

tamarillo, Apr 22, 10:33am
Nice wagon, but op is after a hatchback.