New WOF today but seat belt faulty

Page 2 / 2
gabbysnana, Dec 30, 7:59pm
is a light bulb life threatening? The test is the case of the missing part from the front wheel assembly causing death just out of rotorua some years ago. Thats why you who are in business carry liability insurance in the millions.

tgray, Dec 30, 8:04pm
The WOF was 2 hours old FFS.
No, the WOF inspection should have picked this up and I would just drive the car around to them asap and see what they say.
In this instance, I don't think it would wash by saying it worked at time of inspection.

a.woodrow, Dec 30, 8:17pm
People get wound up over nothing! We don't know how hard OP is pulling on the belt or if they are driving the car when they does so (the hint is in the name - inertia reel) Some belts have to pull out very fast before they will lock. OP, go back to the WOF inspector and get them to recheck the belt. Don't go in guns blazing, you might just find you haven't been checking the belt in the right way. If the belt is actually faulty then the seller and the wof inspector can sort it out between themselves. As for the person that was banging on about suing the seller so they can sue the wof issuer? I can only assume you must be from america. or have watched too much TV. Good grief the people on these boards this time of year

shakespeare6, Dec 30, 8:23pm
Approach it? Get over it, get the belt checked and if it's faulty replace it and move on.

xs1100, Dec 30, 8:23pm
personally go back to the inspector with a "can you help me. "attitude and see what happens

kazbanz, Dec 30, 8:45pm
jgoater-Yhis is ENTIRELY my personal opinion.
YOU pay to get the belt sorted.
My reasoning being that you have absolutely no way to prove the belt issue is in fact a pre existing condition. That's the guts of the matter.
Locking mechanisms do fail/break at random.
The very fact that you noticed the failure 1 hour after purchase says you didn't notice it wasn't working prior to purchase ie it worked as far as you are aware.
If it was a dealer its a different story. They would have to replace the belt.
Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear.
NOW all that said. What is the year/make/model of your car?
Apreciate you are disappointed but a replacement belt might be cheap as chips.

marte, Dec 30, 9:03pm
Some safety belts don't 'grab' unless the cars moving or slowing down quickly.

I'd say its more to do with the unqualified test the OP gave it, rather than the test the qualified WOF guy gave it.

It Passed, get on with it.

tgray, Dec 30, 9:19pm
I think most people would simply click in the seatbelt and not notice it didn't lock on a hard tug. Personally I think WOF inspectors have the duty of care to find this as part of their inspection and failure to pick this up is their responsibility, if indeed it doesn't grip.

gabbysnana, Dec 30, 9:25pm
if you say it's a dealer problem how can you not achnowledge it's the wof inspectors problem . either it is or it isn't a fault.

gabbysnana, Dec 30, 9:28pm
you are obviously not in trade, or you would know the chain of responsibility and if you are then perhaps get up to speed with the latest and greatest.

a.woodrow, Dec 30, 10:15pm
I am in the trade, and have been all my adult life. Pretty sure I am up to speed with the latest and greatest, thanks for your concern. Maybe I should sue you for slander? haha

franc123, Dec 30, 10:24pm
FFS here we go again,, as has been said more than once in this thread its possible for it to have failed, or even got stuck off, after it was tested, and if equipped both locking mechanisms are tested, you couldn't prove it either way. Nearly two decades of WOF testing has told me they can be temperamental things, even slight slopes can affect how they work, its the nature of the design. Like I said earlier it needs reassessment by someone who knows what's what, not an owners opinion.

socram, Dec 30, 11:51pm
Whether the light bulb is life threatening or not isn't the issue. What is at issue here is that when a component fails, (if in this instance it has failed - and we are not yet sure it has), it doesn't fail to some predetermined time scale, whether pre or post WoF.

Hands up all those who have meticulously checked all lights and brake lights just before a WoF, driven 1km down the road for the WoF only to find that one bulb has failed?

A suspension/wheel assembly component doesn't magically disappear.

Mechanical and particularly electrical components can magically fail through any number of reasons at any age. I even had a brand new set of expensive, standards approved, 5 point harness belts fail when used for the first time. The release catch fell off, effectively trapping me in the car.

snoopy221, Dec 30, 11:57pm
The test is the case of the missing part from the front wheel assembly causing death just out of rotorua some years ago.

Methink(been wrong b4)
Reference is to an accident in the mamakus-whereby the actual warrant signer was taken to court charged with manslaughter.
unpinned castellated tie rod nut-long story if i'm right.

tgray, Dec 31, 12:27am
I bought a car once with a new WOF and noticed various lights were not working. They said they were working at the time of the test (fair enough, and standard answer), but two bulbs were missing altogether.
Unfortunately, there are still plenty of 'mates' who own workshops that will simply slap a sticker on the windscreen without even doing a hoist lift.
How else can they make a profit by charging $20 for a WOF?

jgoater, Dec 31, 12:59am
OK, I took the car to the WOF place today and showed him the seatbelt.
He checked it and said it was faulty and said sorry, he must have missed it.
I accepted his apology and now will go and get it replaced at my expense.
Thanks all for your input.

kazbanz, Dec 31, 1:25am
What Year/make/model is the car? Those of us in the trade might well be able to help you with the most inexpensive (but safe) option to fix matters.

kazbanz, Dec 31, 1:30am
Sorry Toby I just can't agree with you on this subject.(principle rather than theory).
The nature of seatbelts means that components can and do fail over time.
I have to say that part of the trade in process for me is ensuring all lights/windows etc work especially dash warning lights. Then I pull the seatbelts out to check for fraying and correct operation.
Mainly its because I just can't afford to make hundred/thousand dollar mistakes.

tgray, Dec 31, 2:34am
I understand mate, but we are talking 2 hours later, not 'over time'.
All good though and hope you are busy selling lots of stock. It's a great time to be a dealer right now, as the market has gone completely nuts.

xs1100, Aug 9, 3:46pm
good on you check out Autostop there pricing on seatbelts is excellant