Shipping Hyundai Getz from Perth to Port Lyttleton

campbellluke, Aug 20, 7:17am
Hello, I am after some advice about this.

The car is a 2005 and is listed at meeting Euro4 petrol standards. I'm not wasn't sure if either of these are acceptable but I am told that since I have owned the car in my possession for 2 years that I should be able to send it to NZ despite its age. I am going to check with the NZTA and VTNZ about this tomorrow.

Secondly, I have been given a quote of $2,990 + $165 from one shipping company. The car would be dropped off at a requested point in CHCH and I would need to register it. I am told that moving the car via train to the eastern states and then shipping it won't help me.

Naturally I was hoping for a lower cost than this so, perhaps it is not worth it. I am after advice about the cheapest way I could go about this and whether it would be possible for a 10 year old Euro4 car.

Thanks for your advice. It is a great car with low mileage and in good condition but, I think that $3,000 is too much for it to be worth it.

cagivachick1, Aug 20, 7:23am
i would sell it there and buy something here

kazbanz, Aug 20, 7:26am
What would you sell it for in perth?
Basicly its a $6k-$8k car here.
So allowing it IS compliable in NZ
You have say $2500 freight. -I have to say-from Japan its less than $1500 so that seems expensive.
Then $1000 compliance and rego costs here.
so your car will owe you $3500.00
There maybe GST on that too.
So do the sums add up.
You need also to be VERY sure it is compliable in NZ or it will be very expensive scrap metal or a reexport to samoa

campbellluke, Aug 20, 7:26am
Thanks for your feedback. I think you are looking to be right.

campbellluke, Aug 20, 7:32am
I am looking to sell it for $3,500 AU for a quick sale but I feel that someone it is worth more. It has 123K mileage. Rego till Sept 2016. 5 speed, excellent mechanically. Full service history, belts etc.

Probably not as fancy as NZ Getz's because of no ABS so it probably lacks others things.

campbellluke, Aug 20, 7:36am
I have VTNZ contacts. But, are they fully knowledgeable? For example shockingly it is a vehicle with no stock ABS

gabbysnana, Aug 20, 8:39am
thats all its worth in oz, family just bought in perth, got a getz because theres heaps and cheap as chips.

poppy62, Aug 20, 8:42am
As Kaz says, save yourself a whole lot of problems and sleepless nights. Sell it there and buy here . for the $6-8k you also get a lot of choices with better Kms. BTW I thought the car prices in Oz were up on the comparable NZ ones.

mrcat1, Aug 20, 8:55am
There would be gst to be paid on the freight, insurance, customs and value of vehicle, plus compliance and on road costs here.
It would end up owing a lot more than its worth, sort of begs the question, why would you even bother?

campbellluke, Aug 20, 9:51am
Thanks for your advice everyone. I agree that it doesn't make sense. I will look for a 1.5L approx manual post 2000 non Euro equivalent in the South Island for hopefully about 5k.

Poppy: I think for many cars, NZ has then more expensive for used now. Getz wouldn't be the only example. Maybe we're not perfectly comparing apples with apples if I say that anyway. My 05 Getz is very no frills compared with what would have been the NZ base model.

westwyn, Aug 20, 10:10am
Your Getz would be worth little more than your costs here- 123,000km base model manuals are not sought-after and here in Auckland there is no shortage of better-spec'd autos with less km for not a lot more.

You're also hindered by the Perth factor- it's not on the route of any Ro-ro shipping line back to NZ, so would need to be containerised and probably end up being coastal freighted to Adelaide or Melbourne before crossing the ditch.

It simply doesn't stack up economically to import this car to New Zealand.

campbellluke, Sep 18, 6:16pm
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I have listed the car over here. I will start to look for something in the South Island.

I'm probably breaking forum rules by showing it but, he it is for sale.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-cannington/cars-vans-utes/2005-hyundai-getz-hatchback/1087193584

Looking at others, I think that I will have to negotiate a lower price and maybe sell it for $2.8K approx. Will see what happens.

EDIT: URL was wrong.