Opinions on Hyundai Tucson City 2007/2008!

Page 1 / 2
justme..., Nov 27, 2:42am
Please any knowledgable folk, honest opinions sought, anything you consider to be similar but better!Thanks.

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 7:22am
No idea about the Tucson, but I'd rather get a late model Toyota RAV4 or Mazda CX7.or CX9.

gman35, Nov 27, 8:36am
Not much help mechanically sorry , but is that honestly the look you will settlefor with $20+k !

justme..., Nov 30, 4:24am
Wasn't looking to spend quite that much grangies.I don't like the way the back door opens sideways on the Rav 4, Mazda looks nice but I'm wary.not sure why!gman, I'm still a little undecided but I want sumthing with the height of a 4wd as I have dodgy hips and it is easier than climbing in and out of sumthing lower to the ground, don't necessarily need 4wd, would like a bit of room inside and roof racks for holiday time, any suggestions please!

vtecintegra, Nov 30, 4:31am
The ML isn't a quality vehicle anyway - its essentially built for the US market

justme..., Nov 30, 4:32am
ML!

justme..., Dec 1, 4:58am
bump, please help.

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 5:05am
And you think a Hyundai is a better vehicle!

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 5:06am
Nissan Murano.

mm12345, Dec 1, 5:10am
Oh they absolutely love them over there:
http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/ml_class.php

Almost as bad as range/landrovers.
Read and weep.Collaboration between MB and Chrysler resulted in Chrysler reliability with MB repair cost, the worst of both worlds.

justme..., Dec 1, 5:20am
mugenb, I don't know if Hyundai is better which is why I am here asking :)I'm not a mechanical type person, if you can help please do.Will have a look at Nissan Murano, however it think I looked already and they were a bit too pricey.

justme..., Dec 1, 5:25am
hmm, a few Muranos that just scrape in, pricewise!They look great inside and really comfy but I think the height of the $wd type vehicle is kind of important cos as I explained earlier I have wonky hips and its not fun "climbing" in and out of lower vehicles.see what I mean, great suggestion though.

justme..., Dec 1, 5:26am
mm12345, MB is not for me, nor is the landrover.

mm12345, Dec 1, 5:34am
Very wise.There's a not too glowing review of the Hyundai here:
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/articledetail.aspx!ArticleID=10927
But for what it is, it's probably okay.

To be honest, I'm not a great fan of the "crossover" class.Two of the cars I own are a Nissan Safari, and a Mazda MX5.Both are no compromise vehicles, very well built to the price point they sell at. Trying to blend the two together was never going to work - at least on a realistic budget for normal folks.

justme..., Dec 1, 5:42am
mm, thanks for the review, until now I have only read good ones!What would you suggest for me!

mm12345, Dec 1, 5:54am
Do you want a 4wd for seat height with wonky hips - or do you actually want some off-road capability!
There's a lot of options out there, from small economical jap and euro wagons which are still easy to get in and out of, larger crossover cars like the Murano, but it's going to suck gas, small but still "real" 4WD like Suzuki Vitara/Escudo (beware though - I owned a V6 Grand Vitara - and it sucked gas terribly - a 5 spd 2.5 used much more gas than the 3 litre auto Maxima it replaced ).
As I said, there's probably not a lot wrong the the Hyundai, the review I posted was hard on it, because it didn't do anything brilliantly, but boring/ordinary (from his narrow perspective) doesn't mean it's not perfect for what you need.

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 5:54am
Ah, sorry, missed the part with bad hips. My wife has a slipped disc in her back, and has a similar problem. She loves the Odyssey, but it's not an SUV. Another car she liked was a late model Mazda Tribute (I guess the CX7 has taken over from the Tribute).

Late model Honda CRVs and Nissan X Trails are good also.

Anyway, I think it's best that you find whatever suits you best, whatever is most comfortable. Some cars have a harsh ride, some have soft unsupportive seats etc.

Any vehicle that's made in '07 + shouldn't have any major issues, it's just that Hyundais are a bit behind compared to their Japanese rivals, IMO.

justme..., Dec 1, 6:00am
Ok, my reasoning for the 4wd type vehicle is purely related to the height of the car, I do not need or particularly want to go off road, would only be by accident!I have 3 children and 2 small dogs and would like roof racks for more bag space for holiday time.Don't really want anything thirsty.Maybe I should just go with the "boring/ordinary" Hyundai!!!!!!

justme..., Dec 1, 6:06am
mugenb, I have an Odyssey at the moment but want a change and don't really like the "mummy" image that goes along with them!I know, I know!I don't like the Honda CRvs or anything else with a sideways opening back door, I want it to have a lifting up like a lid back door, as this is good to load groceries when it is raining!Where is Hyundai made!Thanks.Going to look at Tribute and X Trail.

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 6:08am
Hyundai is made in South Korea.

justme..., Dec 1, 6:12am
Hmmm, X Trail is ok, can you look at this ad and tell me if its auto or manual please!415552839.

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 6:20am
Automatic (tiptronic).

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 6:22am
How do you think I feel when I drive our one!

justme..., Dec 1, 6:27am
mugenb, I know EXACTLY how you feel when you drive it and I'm over it, thats what started this whole thing!Would you please look at these two also and tell me what you think of each, advantages/disadvantages, overall best in your opinion, I like the look of the Hyundai the best.Think I need to get out there and start test driving.
ok, 428184488 and 428254318

mugenb20b, Dec 1, 6:39am
Sorry, I can't comment on the Golf, but Hyundai seems OK. Like I said, it all comes down to personal preference. Whatever you get, make sure the car has a service history. Of the two, I would pick the Hyundai as I like cars with high ground clearance.