Towing capacity

kam04, Jan 19, 3:22am
When considering the towing capacity of a vehicle, is the 'braked towing capacity' what the vehicle is capable of pulling or the weight that the vehicle can handle when braking. Or is it both. I know braked capacity is when the trailer etc has it's own braking system and unbraked is when it doesn't. I emailed Toyota and asked them what is the towing capacity of my Hiace. They returned saying that it had a braked towing capacity of 1400kg and unbraked of 700kg. So am I to assume that my van is only capable of pulling 1400kg safely but not what it is capable of pulling (if all that makes any sense) It's a 2008 LWB petrol 2700cc.

smac, Jan 19, 3:51am
It's more to do with the handling and stopping distances, not ability to pull.

The authorities couldn't care less if you pull the arse out of your vehicle trying to tow too much. However they DO care if your load is so heavy it pushes your vehicle around in corners, or if you can't stop fast enough.

jason18, Jan 19, 4:09am
Is it also to do with what your vehicle can safetly pull without blowing the clutch or transmission apart?

kam04, Jan 19, 4:11am
makes sense

msigg, Jan 19, 5:38am
Yes jason 18 is correct, Some automatics have a higher tow rating than and manual box.

chris.f, Jan 19, 7:06am
Or in the case of some Dodge Rams, they derate the engine so it doesn't blow the dodgey (no pun intended) Borg Warner autos.

countrypete, Aug 2, 11:14pm
Tow ratings are more often a marketing or political decision made by manufacturers. Political in that manufacturers seek to avoid litigation that may happen if the tow rating encourages a non-manageable load either directly or indirectly causing an accident. Marketing in that manufacturers will sometimes list a high towing limit for competitive reasons.

Some are more conservative that others - for example a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 with a full chassis weighs a little over 1600kgs, and has a braked towing capacity of 1850kgs.

However a Ford Ranger with a 3.2 litre diesel weighs 1920 - 2000kgs and has a tow rating of 3500kgs.

And a 2.0 litre VW Amarok weighs some 2000kg and the manufacturer rates its towing at 3000kgs.

Those are largely marketing decisions, but a rule of thumb is that you should not tow more than the weight of the towing vehicle.