V8 super tourers to merge

Page 1 / 2
differentthings, Apr 9, 5:24am

nave12, Apr 9, 7:10am
This is what happens when you put a chev engine into a Ford and hope to take the world by storm----death of the series started from the start. FARRRQ OFF and bury this crap series! .

mokaubach, Apr 9, 3:12pm
Motorsport is governed by egotistical old men with big attitudes and conflicts of interests generally. They destroy more than they create ultimately especially on race day when they strut around like mini Hitlers with their brief moment of glory. Look at Karting, a sport on a mission of self destruction having lost its way and purpose. Any wonder motorsport struggles at most levels.

thunderbolt, Apr 9, 7:53pm
Did you get lost on your way to the knitting forum?

socram, Apr 9, 8:14pm
Some of them aren't exactly old.

mopsy3, Apr 9, 10:39pm
Most of motorsports problem comes down to money. Takes a bag load to participate (at top level) so usually only leaves those with bag loads to take charge of it and make it suit their own purposes.

elect70, Apr 11, 4:00am
^^ Ever since cigarette advertising was outlawed . Govt promised substantial $$ in lieu but it never happened AFAIK

hfc2, Apr 11, 5:30am
No, just sick of a dying motor sport. Fords with chev motors not my cup of tea. Parity gone mad.

socram, Apr 11, 6:31am
Too little genuine variety - and who ever though two classes of utes and tiny grids was what the paying public wanted to see, need their collective heads read.

"Wow! Look Dad. A Singsong Falcodore ute. Awesome." Blerk.

Glad I grew up in an age where you went to the tracks and saw cars you didn't see on every street, or in every farmer's paddock or in later years, when saloon car racing became popular, heaps of different cars of all shapes and sizes. From Ford Galaxies down to Mini Coopers. Jags to Riley 1.5s, Zephyrs to Anglias and so on.

Advertising and overt sponsorship from whatever source was a mixed blessing - and still is.

socram, Apr 11, 9:00pm
Putting things in perspective, there are more V8s in a variety of cars from Muscle cars to saloons and sports cars, racing at the ACC Summer Finals meeting Sunday at Hampton Downs, than at the Pukekohe meeting anyway!

m16d, Apr 11, 9:14pm

socram, Apr 11, 10:08pm
Why? 1:32 at Hampton Downs = slower than a 50 year old MGB.

hfc2, Apr 17, 7:15am
Seems to me motor sport teams are the new heroes not the vehicles, ie ford / holden , mind you suppose they have to as what will ford and holden supporters cheer for in the future? frosty in a Volvo? Not me!.

phlippy, Apr 17, 7:18am
so which cars were faster on the track the super tourers or the Nzv8?

hfc2, Apr 17, 7:30am
super tourers they all had around 580 hp but all chev motors

3tomany, Apr 17, 7:31am
Not only has super tourers destroyed our premier motorsport series, it has hurt all motorsport in NZ by keeping fans away from race tracks. Absolute disaster.

hfc2, Apr 17, 7:50am
100% agree.

socram, Apr 17, 8:22pm
What has destroyed NZ Motorsport at that level is the assumption that all anyone wants to see is a Falcodore or a Falcodore lookalike and that no other class or make is of interest.

Go back a few years and there was huge variety and rules that allowed Kiwi engineering to shine. Now you have a stewards inquiry as a result of some loser moaning that the winner's flobgobbler is 1mm shorter than the rules allow.

Sure, you'll never get the huge crowds of old ever again, but currently you get a bigger crowd at a junior school netball match.

Even with a decent grid of the three existing classes, it is no use without a broad appeal supporting programme, so no real crowds will return to see the same cars running more often, some with 4 doors and some with two.

ryanm2, Apr 17, 8:46pm
these were from almost 20 years ago. Got too expensive to run though like most invented classes. 3 good years of the Tranzam series though. These kinda destroyed local sports sedan classes though as they got relatively cheap to buy and were bloody quick and reliable - why engineer your own car when you could just buy one?
In saying that - 20 odd mustangs, camaros, a cutless and whatever would be pretty impressive to watch again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxXWhxRlDS8

ryanm2, Apr 17, 8:57pm
The crowd from Puke here is amazing - I was there as my father was racing. Most to see the Formula Atlantic though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytU3nWcMq8o

3tomany, Apr 17, 9:02pm
in NZv8s day before supertourers race tracks had standing room only. The racing was high class and all the support categories were well supported as well.

floscey, Apr 17, 10:40pm
I was there too. Was trying to remember what year Steve dymand crashed at Dunlop ,Pukekohe . Was standing at the fence and he went in right there.

floscey, Apr 17, 10:54pm

ryanm2, Apr 17, 11:05pm
I wondered through the crash site after the Flying Farewell crash - there was crap everywhere. Those were the days when as soon as the racing was finished you could wonder around anywhere.

elect70, Mar 8, 6:41pm
Well last weekend went well plenty of action & the st didnt run away with it & TLX cars were fairly close behind Even the sassong utes provided good entertainment with a lot of fender bending from 20 odd utes, truck racing was a waste of time though 6 trucks then down to 4 time to abandon it .