Vw touareg airbag fault.

bigfatmat1, Sep 27, 8:49am
So Ill just stick this post here it may interest some people in the near future. As it appears a common problem.

Airbag fault code. N180. Passengers side crash sensor open circuit.
Remove passengers seat and bottom from 8 X bolts unplug seat connectors. remove battery box lid and ac/vent. Lift up rear half of the carpet lift up wiring loom bracket and rest on stud. Remove crash sensor and unplug (slide grey part of plug back then depress again to release yellow connector. Clean corrosion from sensor and associated plug. Do not use contact cleaner. I find the wurth oxidisation remover, spray rinse, and oxidisation prevention 3 step process is the best. Unless you have a terminal removal kit ou will have to clean and retension terminals in place by running the likes of a scope pin probe through them. Apply a good quality silicone electrical connector grease in clear code. Then check battery condition most likely it would of been just replaced or it will be gassing excessively causing corrosion around the battery connections fuse relays and circuit breakers treat corrosion accordingly fit vent tube to battery and vent out small hole towards underneath of car. Allow 3 hours for doing the job the first time.

a.woodrow, Sep 27, 8:15pm
And then spend another three hours explaining to customer who is convinced that it shouldn't take 3 hours to clean a plug so they don't want to pay. Some people just have no idea about correct and thorough process and accurate repair. Sounds like a job well done bigfatmat

cammey, Sep 27, 9:17pm
Its a VW, so it would be OK to use the special "this will pass the inspection" technique, and simply wire the Airbag lamp to the oil pressure switch.

Well done with the seatbelt ticket BTW. ;-)

3tomany, Sep 27, 9:27pm
That is a very dumb suggestion oil pressure is sure to drop one day giving the impression of an airbag fault so wire permanently to a more reliable source. Now um dam I cornered myself cant think of a reliable place to suggest.

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:06am
yep fortunately the ones I have done so far is ones that would be covered by warranty. Once you have done a couple that time can be halved. It is still a considerable job just to gain access to the sensor.

nzdoug, Sep 28, 7:38am
Dealers replace and not fix as the warrantee is longer and good mark ups.
The replaced part is never given to the customer.
Where do they go?

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:43am
The replacement part is around $265, there is no parts to replace here. unless the corrosion is extensive. the faulty part would then be sent back to main dealership. The touaregs I am talking of are s/h not covered under manafactures warranty

nzdoug, Apr 23, 11:37am
I beleive you.
I put the wrong fuel in my deisel Passat and I saw the switch the fuel repair guy dump crap in the tank when he took off the lid.
What can you do when youve been waiting for an hour.
I tank later its kaput.
So VW dont fix, they replace.
And so do all as better bucks but no brains service.
$1000.00 where does the old pump go?
An airgun would fix but no warrantee and crap cash flow for the repair.