Odyssey

s.patete, Feb 26, 7:21am
I looking at buying one, can anyone give the pros and cons to these and what to look for? 04 and above models.

tamarillo, Feb 26, 8:20am
I'm not in trade and am sure you'll get expert insider advice, but from outside car nut Honda have great reputation and these are solid machines. As with anything there will be weakest link, but not to my understanding a problem car, quite the opposite.

laspaz, Feb 26, 8:29am
04 and above would be 2.3 CVT or 2.4 auto / tiptronic (absolute).

I have an 05 absolute and very happy so far.

kazbanz, Feb 26, 8:16pm
pros--nice to drive-basicly an accord wagon,
look less "people moverish" than most
reasonable room
cons-you pay for the style so not as roomy as any of the people movers it competes with.

franc123, Feb 26, 8:24pm
PPI for all Hondas made in the last 25 years hasn't changed much, an hour long check should consist of half an hour focussed solely on the auto trans and half an hour focussed on the rest of the vehicle. Sorry several minutes should be spent looking at engine mounts too, the costs of replacement if they're knackered will stun you.

fiatracer, Feb 26, 10:14pm
Bought an '04 for a work vehicle - pretty happy with it. Serviced yesterday - incl trans service. as posted above - it's a CVT so that would be my main thing to keep an eye on. Ours has a towbar but I immediately warned my team to never tow anything bigger than a small garden trailer.

gman35, Feb 27, 12:40am
Shame they never kept the V6 from the previous model (many say they eat the transmission?) . I wouldn't consider a people mover/SUV of this sort of size , i.e. Mitsi Outlander also , with anything less than a 3.0. Sometimes you just need to pay fuel bills if want a nice petrol vehicle.
Either way , so much better looking than the CURRENT Odyssey , my god , the stylists at Honda have done some weird stuff in recent years (the previous to current model CRV included)

tamarillo, Feb 27, 1:46am
CVT - was I THINK only on Jap domestic market so NZ new ones have standard box as per the Accord. Checked online before speaking and seems to be right. Know which I'd get.

ambo11, Feb 27, 2:21am
Only the Absolute has the "standard" auto, and Absolutes are 200HP compared to 160Hp in the CVT models. We have one, totally love it in every way,big, roomy, smooth, economical for the size of it. CVTs need regular servicing, basically drain it every now and then and throw in a 3.5L bottle of Honda CVT fluid. Expensive fluid but cheaper than a new trans. As for towing, personally I wouldn't with a CVT. Our Odyssey replaced a LaFesta and the Odyssey is much, much superior in every way apart from economy.The Jap stereo/navigation systems cannot be changed to english, and take some getting used to, but have beautiful sound. Ours (L model)has a DVD player, and records every musicCD we play into a "sound container", 8 airbags, for the money they are a lot of car. Only thing I did straight away was replace the high beam bulbs with plus 90's, as the original high beam lights are really useless.

tamarillo, Feb 27, 3:03am
Can confirm nz new ones all had conventional auto boxes, and stereos in English.

jmma, Feb 27, 3:24am
Link please?

richardmayes, Feb 27, 4:02am
2.4 litre K series in Odyssey Absolute makes 200BHP, same as the 3 litre J series V6 in the previous generation Odysseys.

Same power from not much less displacement. 5 speed auto for the 2.4 instead of 4-speed for the V6. half the number of heads, half the number of head gaskets. probably a step in the right direction?

So there's still an "ordinary" Odyssey and a "200hp" Odyssey, but now the only difference is just the state of tune of the engine.

bigfatmat1, May 24, 11:16pm
They come in so many different specs. I had one 10 airbags keyless start, rain sense wipers triple zone climate control 7 spd cVT. Electric rear seats. Stability control. Unfortunately someone t boned me and wrote it off I couldn't find a replacement as higher spec. So I purchased a later model accord euro l. The odyssey was a great car. No trouble