24volt Solar Panel to 12volt Van Battery - HOW TO!

Page 2 / 2
bigfatmat1, Sep 8, 8:45am
errr actually you're not re read first post you are simply confusing your self. I could fault this method numerous times over. not to mention expensive equipment a charge equalizer is not a cheap item as well as a second battery also detrimental to connection order. This link has nothing to do with what poster 1 is trying to achieve. solarboy is the person who has all the correct info .

petermcg, Sep 8, 8:48am
Yes that is correct, Solar Boy has the right answer for the simle way of curing the problem, but as the OP was wanting to here from others, with different ideas, I felt that by offering an alternative method was not something for you to get your rocks off over.The2 x 12 volt battery situation is found in many Boats, Motorhomes and some SUV. They charge with a 24 volt alternator and have 12 volt accessorie and starting circuits. The Item that I am refering to is called a charge equalizer or (battery equalizer) just in case you want to ask your mummy to explain that it indeed does work.

mechnificent, Sep 8, 8:53am
So what is your field of expertise Peter!

Obviously not electrical.

bigfatmat1, Sep 8, 8:55am
I think I know how they work it is my job
you are confused on 12 24v systems you are getting all muddled up.

bigfatmat1, Sep 8, 9:01am
Name a suv that has this system or are you refering to a series parallel landcruiser if you are that is not how that system works at all.

mechnificent, Sep 9, 7:22am
Er, actually, you're not.
Matt is an auto electrician, I'm a mechanic that is good with electrics and I live with solar power, and solar boy knows what he is talking about whatever his background is. I think you shuld give up trying to prove us wrong.

Solarboy has the answer. They need to reconfigure their solar panel.

bigfatmat1, Sep 9, 8:45am
errr actually you're not re read first post you are simply confusing your self. I could fault this method numerous times over. not to mention expensive equipment a charge equalizer is not a cheap item as well as a second battery also detrimental to connection order. This link has nothing to do with what poster 1 is trying to achieve. solarboy is the person who has all the correct info .

petermcg, Oct 18, 1:13pm
My one Has, its a US Motorhome , also USA Military vehicles and Fire Engines converted from ex military vehicles.
A switch is needed to
disconnect the alternator field activation wire
to prevent battery drain. You want the 12
volt electrical circuit to be closed only when
the engine is operating. This can be done in
a number of ways. The preferred method is
using an oil pressure switch to close the field
activation wire part of the circuit.