New battery gone dead

speedwayfan1, Jan 6, 4:14am
Short end of the story, got a brand new battery for my car about 3 weeks ago, go to start it today and it's completely dead. Have tried the usual tricks of wiggling the wires, checked for corrosion and connection, all seems good.

Nothing has been left on in the car (1989 Honda Prelude), kind of at a loss here and to be honest a little pissed/upset as I was planning on getting a new WoF and reg next week and sitting my license in it. Any ideas what could be causing this! I don't want to go and get a replacement only to have another one die in a few weeks again.

ryanm2, Jan 6, 4:18am
is your alternator stuffed, or take it back and get another one. One of the dudes i work with wired up his radio incorrectly in his work van, continually had flat batteries each monday.

carmedic, Jan 6, 4:20am
Parasitic Draw

hollyshaw, Jan 6, 8:00am
charge the battery.

thewomble1, Jan 6, 10:13am
Get the alternator checked.I always recommend get the alternator checked when installing a new battery. Alternator could be under charging or even over charging and there goes the new battery.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 6, 9:52pm
Yep. Investigation needs to be done of this (just because you didn't leave it on doesn't mean there's not something being left on) and the charging system. You may have just thrown away a perfectly good battery for no reason other than you failed to verify and correct cause rather than symptoms. The alternator could also be overcharging or a faulty the rectifier discharging the battery.