1994 Nissan Sentra

leannekkn, Sep 10, 6:34am
Advice needed please - I am looking at a 1994 Nissan Sentra 5 speed, 1400cc Twin cam, 25300km - $1800
Is this to many km, are these a good car
This would be the first car for my son

morrisman1, Sep 10, 6:53am
good car but the 1400 will be carby and although bulletproof is not really a performer. Gearboxes are strong and only give trouble if not maintained properly. Engines dont like slack servicing but are not as bad as the SR is in that regard.

There are a few common faults but they arent really common at all. Safety is not good in comparison to modern cars but everything around that era is similar. Fuel efficient, not too fast, easy to work on and reasonably comfortable - Perfect first car!

cypherboy, Sep 10, 6:53am
Only 25 thousand kms! Its a Bargain.

leannekkn, Sep 10, 6:58am
Thanks morrisman1 so you don't think the km are to high!

bjdw, Sep 10, 7:04am
I've got this exact car with 188k on it.I got it at 124k and it has been hassle free motoring for 60k.She's pretty gutless going up hills and you won't be winning any races, but other than that it's a good car.

bjdw, Sep 10, 7:05am
And it's chain drive, so no timing service to worry about.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 7:18am
Chain drive is not necessarily an asset at all at those km's.

johnf_456, Sep 10, 7:40am
I knew you would come along poster 8

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 7:43am
Always here to help.

mugenb20b, Sep 10, 7:44am
'thejazzpianoma' thanks.

johnf_456, Sep 10, 7:51am
thejazzpianoma wrote:
Always here to help.[/quote
:)

dent, Sep 10, 7:51am
the renault will be a nice car to drive and safer. But they do have there issues with coil packs not lasting like they should. And the cambelt is comming up so keep that all in mind.

tigra, Sep 10, 7:52am
Had 5 of these (different years) been fantastically reliable.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 8:05am
Quite true, but if you got it for similar money its HEAPS more car and realistically you are likely to do a lot less to it over time than the much older Sentra thats done 2-3 times the km's. Absolutely no contest.

msigg, Sep 10, 8:16am
The nissan will be OK at those km. Clutch could be down a bit. no problems with that car.i gotta agree with jazz though, the little car he highlighted looks good. cheap enough if you can get it. Couple of grand, not alot of money nowdays.

bjdw, Oct 20, 10:19pm
Mines probably long overdue for some fresh oil.I've never done it.Maybe next weekend.