Aftermarket ECU's for V8's .

trader_84, Sep 14, 9:15pm
Whats the story on these things. I am adept at turning the idle mixture screws on a double pumper but know squat about later model stuff and even less about the ECU??

jsbike, Sep 14, 10:01pm
megasquirt ecu! a guy on here sells a few diff models of them

marmatt, Sep 14, 10:08pm
link or motecbest guys to talk to are speed tech in wellington

morrisman1, Sep 14, 10:08pm
If you go megasquirt I hope you are ECU savvy because in most cases cannot go down to the local tuners and have it tuned.

300, Sep 15, 10:30pm
Lexus V8 stuff repowers talk to 'The Cartune Company' in Hamilton
Early as well as the VVTI as they now can by pass security

esprit, Sep 15, 11:04pm
There are so many variables.

In general, a relatively standard engine will not benefit significantly from an ECU swap. Generally once your modifications take the engine out of the realm where the factory ECU can efficiently control it, then it's time to either hack and tweak the factory unit or replace it with an aftermarket one.

Replacing an ECU is useless without getting a good tuner to give it a good dyno session, or failing that a road tune.

There's no black art to it, but generally, throwing an aftermarket computer on there and expecting big horsepower gains isn't likely to be successful unless you've the supporting mods to go with.

trader_84, Sep 16, 1:07am
Cheers for the info, dude. Ta.

pollymay, Sep 16, 6:11am
The old 304 I believe has a delco unit and is very flexible, most people wouldn't bother on a stock engine. standalone does provide nice benifits like datalogging and extra driver info if you want it though. People even supercharge the hell out of them on the delco unit.

guider1, Oct 30, 4:15pm
The stock ECU will be more than adequate for a warmed-over 304. I rebuilt my last one with a mild cam & cleaned up the ports. The old girl made 166rwkw with stock ECU. The one before that I fitted with forged pistons, raised the compression to 10:1 & put a solid cam in it. that made 184rwkw with a carb on it (obviously no ECU); and the one before that had a solid cam, 11.6:1 compression, Group A D-port heads & balanced. that made 248rwkw, had an Autronic SMC in that one.