Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twin Spark 2004 Who has one!

Page 2 / 2
richard198, Sep 22, 11:58am
One notable occasion was years ago while driving through France in an Anglia Estate when it decided to blow out the clutch slave cylinder.
Despite my limited French, we located a garage that could supply the piston repair kit, we did the job on the side of the road and motored on!

craig04, Sep 22, 7:48pm
European

craig04, Sep 22, 7:51pm
That's like saying syphilis is a poor seconf to aids.

tigra, Sep 23, 12:18am
been a 156 owner for 4 years. had a few problems and done the cam belt once and had the Selespeed checked over. As jazz says if you can buy a manual it would be a lot better thatn the Selespeed. So saying they are a bit like many autos - need a bit of regular maintenance. . When you buy an Alfa you are buying really brilliant handling and very good responsive power. Itsreally worth the occasional hassle.

richard198, Sep 23, 1:07am
Tasty!I'll start saving now.

sweetfanny, Sep 23, 1:46am
My Budget would proberly be up to $15k, I love hot hatches and horse power. I do alot of open road driving, so it gets runs and I don't drive like a nanna. hehe

thejazzpianoma, Sep 23, 3:09am
Thats a funny price point. Its a shame its not quite enough to launch you into the MK 5 Golf GTI and its really more than I would spend on a MK4 GTI or a 147.

I would suggest you take a regular MK5 Golf (2004 and newer shape) with the 2.0 FSI engine for a drive. Its not a GTI however 0-100 is done in 8.5seconds and the 6 speed DSG transmission is fantastic. Unlike Alfa's first attempt it uses two clutches to give you gear-changes that are literally quicker than you can blink and reliability is excellent and maintenance is low.

I am not however going to pretend its a super sporty drive but still worth trying as its capable and LOADS of car for your money. Likewise the Audi A3 which is slightly more sporty in tuning if you can find one for 15K with the same 2.0 FSI and DSG box.

The other one to try is the Fiat Stilo Abarth but the later one with the manual transmission (from about 2003 from memory). The Abarth build quality is a bit average and some of the knobs and buttons show wear quite early but it is a properly fun drive.

The Punto Abarth is worth a drive with the 6 Speed manual if I have not mentioned it already but again you only want to be spending 5-8K on one of those.

Also, try the Grande Punto with the 1.9 Diesel of all things! Its actually very capable with loads of torque and 6 speed manual. Definitely one that you should just go and try without pre-judging.

Have fun shopping!

sweetfanny, Sep 23, 4:03am
I did take Fiat Stilo Abarth for a drive a while back, hell that had some get up and go, 100km down moorhouse Ave hehe. Certainly won't do diesel of any sort, I just have a thing about them

stevo2, Sep 23, 6:23am
I have never owned an Alfa, driven an Alfa or even been in an Alfa but I would love to buy one. The problem is that I never get to drive a "car" very often as i drive a van just about everywhere I go and I wouldnt buy an Alfa just for Mrs Stevo to use.
Alfa would be the "affordable production" car that I would aspire to own as it is a "drivers car".
Stevo

tigra, Sep 23, 7:10am
Give the man a large beer!

stevo2, Sep 23, 7:11am
Too late, Ive already had a couple, lol

sweetfanny, Sep 23, 10:00am
Oh god, sooooo many to look at., AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

ritmo, Nov 13, 1:08pm
NIce car but a few faults to look at before you buy.
As mentioned cambelt job.and just not the belt. Job should cover cambelt, tensioner, idler, waterpump and camshaft variator.balanceshaft belt i think. Job around 1800 i recall but you will get variation on that price.
Airflow meter gives grief so see if replaced. Front suspension arms wear and also gives grief so allow replacement for both if not already done on car. will get 100k outta both so onlydone once in ownership period.

Good luck