Altezza vs VW Polo GTI

Page 2 / 2
whynot7, Sep 22, 11:20am
i detect a urine extractor

bean623, Sep 22, 11:12pm
I found a Polo GTI for 6.5k and looks koschere. I think thats a good first car. Right!

phillip.weston, Sep 22, 11:16pm
No. Trust me they are dogs. The GTI may be a tarted up version but once things start going wrong you will regret purchasing one. Just stuff like door locks, throttle bodies, electric windows etc can and do go wrong with them. I would take jazz's suggesting and go find a Golf of the same year for the same price. A much better car. There's plenty of Altezzas out there for that price too. I found a '99 Beams 4cyl 5-spd tiptronic tidy in white done 227,000kms for $5000 a month ago. Plenty more around the $6-7k price range.

mark.52, Sep 23, 2:23am
What year/model is the Polo GTI!

I have one, but it's a heck of a lot more recent than the one you're looking at, judging by the asking price. Mine's a 2007. Very nice car. Love at first drive.

phillip.weston, Sep 23, 2:54am
2007 Polo GTIs are fine compared to the 1998-2001 Polo GTI which is just rubbish.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 23, 2:56am
I agree the later ones are a lot better especially from the MK5 of 2009. Yours is an interesting case, assuming its the GTI it actually has the good old 1.8T engine which is the the same as it used in the MK4 Golf GTI which we are trying to encourage poster 1 to buy.

So in your case, I agree nice little car with an older but excellent drive train. Poster one however can achieve much the same driving experience in their price range with the Golf GTI though.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 23, 2:57am
Snap!

phillip.weston, Sep 23, 3:03am
Jazz I've found that MkIV Golfs aren't so expensive in Australia compared to other cars. There's a few 1.6 5 speed manual 2000-2002 models going for $5000-6000 privately. I figured the 1.6 might be a bit too gutless though. Found a 2.0 5 speed for about $6000 and also found a few GTIs for $6500-8000 but they all had higher kms upwards of 200,000kms. I'm just struggling for ideas on what to own as a decent daily driver for AU$5-8k in the next coming months when I ditch the Camry. I can't find a 5 speed MkIII VR6 or a MkIV V5 or V6 which is what I would prefer to own. Heck even Pug 406s which I consider a good budget priced Euro car in NZ are $8-12k in Australia for a decent diesel one. It's crazy. The BMWs here are just 'meh' with E46s starting from well over $12k. It's a shame Australia didn't get the 8th gen Galant apart from the few import VR-4s they have here - I would happily own a 2.5 V6 5spd sedan.

aimz_bj, Sep 23, 7:17am
40 hours driving experience and you say that you are a really experienced driver!Mate, do you even have your restricted! LOL

Better off saving your $$ till you are a bit more experienced I think.

BTW, neither of the cars you have listed aren't full of power

bmwnz, Sep 25, 3:41am
First car! You are about to discover the old adage - "If its got tits or wheels, its gonna cost you!", especially when buying a cheapo, old car.

ninja_man, Sep 25, 4:06am
have you looked at insurance! for full cover on a car worth 7k, it costs me $1300 per year (im 18 with full licence). For a restricted driver in a 9k car, the insurance will just be crazy! just something to think about.

aimz_bj, Sep 25, 11:16am
You have no idea what you want.

aimz_bj, Nov 18, 2:53pm
If you have only had 40 hours driving experience you shouldnt have got your bloody restricted.!You should still be on your learners!

Just goes to show you that you spend 1 hour behind the wheel with a AA driving instructor and you get a license.

NZ should havea minimum amount of driving time before people progress onto the next license.