4x4 tyres for a LWB Nissan Safari

grover13, Sep 17, 1:09am
I'm about to put new tyres on the above vehicle that gets farm use and a bit of recreation in soft shingle.
Running standard looking gold spoked rims with 31x10.5 R15 Bridgestone Duellers.

Never bought tyres like this and just wondered if a wider or more narrow tyre has any benefits or might be cheaper or last longer or run quieter or steer better.

Have seen those mean looking things with the tread up the wall and would like some but they look like they would chuck stones everywhere.

I'm just casting about for any advice that might help me making an expensive decision in an area where I don't have much experience.

Thanks in advance.

russ18, Sep 17, 2:09am
Had same vehicle a while ago, my fav was BFG mud terrains. lasted well and good grip on and off road.

pico42, Sep 17, 2:43am
I second BFG M/T's. Go well off road while retaining good on road behavior. But 31" seem a little small for a safari.

To be fair, there are a lot of decent tyres out there.

In soft shingle, bigger/wider tyres help a lot. But you can also make a big difference by dropping your tyre pressure.

msigg, Sep 17, 6:08am
You don't need them too wide, dosn't help that much for your use.

chris241, Sep 17, 6:20am
im running 33x13.5 mudzillas on a 60 series land cruiser and they are as noisey as F**K . It goes any where plus i have front and rear diff locks the thing is just crazy the shit that it can climb it will tip ova befor you will stop it lol

mrcat1, Sep 17, 7:54am
I wouldn't go past a set off Coopers, i have just fitted a new set to my venturer, they are the latest S/T- MAXX with bead protecter and amour-tec in the side walls, seem to be running well and are quieter than the S/T-C's that i had on. I find i don't get any mileage out of any other type of tyres, Coopers seem to give better mileage.

jezz43, Sep 17, 7:57am
i was running the BFGs but changed to maxxis mudder buckshots. both seem to equalliy good tyres

flashgordon_nz, Sep 17, 8:37am
Ive heard good things about the coopers, but no experience on them. I can, in your size, vouch for the BF Goodrich A/T, on a 4x4 hilux, having farm and beach work. and an amazing 160,000kms out of them.
On my f100 2wd, in that size, i went for the Goodyear Wrangler a/t. (not the kevlar ones) Well Priced, dunno about milage yet as they are still on, good road handling, good in a paddock, and shifts some stones when on a gravel road etc.
my two cents worth .

guider1, Sep 17, 10:26am
We have BFG Mud Terrains on our LWB Safari; 325/60/15. same rolling diameter as a 31x10.50-15.
If your Safari hasnt had a body lift then you wont run a 32" or larger on it without rubbing issues. We tried 32's & they rubbed on the back (with suspension travel) & caught the front guards on the front when at full lock (that's with an 8" rim though, the factory gold ones are only 7" rims).
With the 325's it climbs anywhere offroad, we use it all year round towing trailers full of posts (fencing) all over farms & have never had it let go.
We get on average 55000-65000km out of a set. & it does alot of road miles as well.
Just remember that the M/T's are a full mud-grip style of tyre.

mrcat1, Sep 18, 2:57am
You might find they are the KM1's, you can't get them anymore and the new KM 2's don't have a good reputation for mileage, a mate had a set of KM 1's on a cruiser and he got 95,000km's out of them.

vpholdie, Sep 18, 7:41am
I vote for the new Coopers had so many happy customers on them but also had alot of customers rave about BFG KM2 aswell. New Cooper ST Maxx would suit your needs best imo.

grover13, Sep 18, 8:23am
Thank you all for your advice and info.
I really think I should go for quietness and mileage and steer away from the knobbly jobblies. If I got some I bet the noise would piss me off and I'd be tempted to see how good they were on the hill and get myself in trouble.

All I need to know now is a good place to buy some Coopers from in Chch.

guider1, Nov 3, 5:13pm
Ours just have KM on the sidewall. I thought we got good mileage considering how tight the lsd is. groans and scuffs the rear tyres when turning sharply.
Mind you. i've had it swinging donuts on tarseal on this set.

I also should've said we run 325 BFG A/T's in summer & 325 M/T's in winter.