NISSAN SAFARI 4 X 4

mkenzi, Jul 12, 5:15am
Hello
Can anyone tell me why these are worth big bucks ? see them around seem to hold there value.
Nissan Safari short wheel base 4 . 2 diesel manual
With PTO winch diff lockers
Thanks

mkenzi, Jul 12, 5:17am
Sorry the year 1989

differentthings, Jul 12, 5:33am
Because they are good for 4WD'in. Loved mine when I had it.

bwg11, Jul 12, 5:38am
Yep, rugged, strong, reliable, great off road. No low mounted electrics to get wet. May be a bit wide on narrow tracks, but you can't have everything.

mkenzi, Jul 12, 5:42am
A mate had a 1989 model purchased this in 1995 for $ 25.000
Just sold it recently for $ 14,000 with 204,000 ks on the clock

franc123, Jul 12, 5:51am
That's very low km for a Safari, assuming it was genuine. The reason they hold value is because they are such solid vehicles with simple rugged technology that does everything it has to without the silly fragile high tech nonsense that modern vehicles are littered with. They are a paragon of how an offroad vehicle should be built, particularly the chassis, suspension and engines.

differentthings, Jul 12, 9:41am
Just run in then.

aj254, Jul 13, 1:13am
They also handle very well on-road for what they are, i.e. a 2 tonne+ brick on live axles, excellent offroad as well, just a bit heavy in some conditions.
Rust is the only real issue they have, being 20+ years old now.

toolmanpaul, Jul 13, 9:21am
Sold mine still going at 630,000 km. Sold for $500.00 less than I paid for it 9 years before! Loved it. Miss it. Never failed to start 1st turn in all that time.
1991 4 door. Diff lock on rear.

pf, Jul 13, 9:36am
what's the modern day version of the 'bullet proof' Safari / Patrol ? .

kingfisher21, Jul 13, 1:17pm
There isn't one

nukhelenc, Jul 14, 4:20am
Thats why Y60s Rule :)
Had this 1 i got now for around 12 years, and only now i have sunk some money into it.
They are the best.

I think given more time they will only go up in value
Gotta get the right ones tho.
Ill never sell mine now.

nukhelenc, Jul 14, 4:39am
Mines even got heated front seats, i haven't seen another with this, but they must be out there

brapbrap8, Jul 14, 5:02am
Landcruiser 70 series.
Except it isn't modern, they just never stopped making them!

mm12345, Jul 14, 7:20am
I've had mine ('88 TD42 n/a 5 speed shortie) since 1999.
The only money I've sunk into it was an injector pump rebuild about 7 years ago, and recond the injectors. I did the removal and refit, so all-up cost was $1100 or so (about $700 for the pump, incl new main shaft, injectors about $60 each). In 16 years ownership, it's never been in a workshop for mechanical repairs - only WOF, and regas the A/C once. I paid $14k for it in 1999 with 80,000km on the clock.

The other repairs I've done have cost close to nothing - ie new starter motor brushes about 10 years back, $11.95 (IIRC), a soldering iron, and a quick skim of the commutator with wet and dry.
That said - they're getting old now.

nukhelenc, Jul 14, 8:21am
I drive mine every day for work and its always loaded with stuff and tows a trailer half the time.
Ive just done new springs again, done them and shocks when it first came off the boat.
So in the last months it had
The box out for an oil leak, So new clutch done at same time.
Injector pump, as started to leak. Injectors looked at, but ok as i had them cleaned years ago.
Roof painted as it had the beginning of a few specks of rust.
Driver door hinges.
New mud Flaps.
New bushes to the arms that hold the front diff.
Next will be new rubber as almost worn out, so this lot will be the third set.
Its on its 3rd set of batteries.
New front disk rotors about a year ago.
It works for its money, but ya gotta spend it sooner or latter or let it turn into a right pig :)
So really that pretty much 12 years of hardly no money spent.
Its a 92
My 88 i had i paid 30k when they first came out, i sold it for 12k and it had the hell beating within a 4wd club.
The other was a single cab tip tray in perth, ive forgot what year she was.
I just love them.
Had a navara years back, it was shit, had the box out 3 times then it was down the road.

Ive done a few other minor things to keep it right and tidy

nukhelenc, Feb 5, 2:34am
My next truck would be the Landcruiser 70 series, But i like a smooth ride on the road so far.
Coils take out our shitty roads.
Unless your the 4wd bounce man on leafs rear