Suzuki GSX-R 600 too powerful!. :/

Page 1 / 3
law.house, Sep 29, 6:35am
Hey, so I've been motorbike riding since last April (on my Suzuki GZ250) and I'm about to sit my full bike licence, allowing me to get a bike over 250cc. I'm considering buying this: (408860161) shortly. Do you think going from GZ250 to a GSX-R 600 is too big a step or should I just go for it! TIA

ninja_man, Sep 29, 6:42am
wow nice bike, and cheap. However i wouldn't recommend you buy it. you will probably get yourself into trouble.

evotime, Sep 29, 6:42am
prob get a better response here---http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:43am
If your mature and you have a brain no bike is to powerfull. However one of those has only one real purpose in life and was built to do it. These are a 260 odd kph bike. They like to revved like hell to go anywhere and they arnt alot slower than the gixxer 1000. The riding postion is anything but comfortable unless you young and can bend easy lol.Personally i would look at something a bit more practable and trust me many practable bikes have more than enough grunt.

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:44am
Why, plenty of knowlagable bikers on here.

ninja_man, Sep 29, 6:47am
maybe an sv650 or ninja 650r will be better suited to street riding! my ninja 650 is not too powerful and you can use the power on the street (i came from a 250). on a gsxr 600 you will be breaking the law by the time you rev it out lol

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:47am
Correct.

mm12345, Sep 29, 6:48am
Agree 100%
But I'd add that as you felt you needed to ask the question, then absolutely do not buy the GSX-R

mm12345, Sep 29, 6:50am
And that's before you get to 2nd gear.

law.house, Sep 29, 6:50am
Thanks everyone! Yeah a less powerful bike may be a wise idea. Being a student, I'd probably look at getting something under 600cc in that case because anything over this incurs the additional fees of $120 per year or whatever it is, for licencing, plus greater insurance costs :P. Any suggestions on bikes, say around 400-500cc you think would be suitable! :D

ninja_man, Sep 29, 6:51am
absolutely, funny how you can lose your licence in first gear on these bikes

ninja_man, Sep 29, 6:55am
drz400sm, good looking, cheap to maintain, fun to ride, very light, and is under the 600cc rego price.

chris_051, Sep 29, 6:59am
Do it, don't listen to these pussies, if you buy a shit box SV650 etc you'll realise how slow it is before the end of the first day and be wanting more. The 600s don't have a lot of balls down low so can't get in too much trouble thru inexperience, at the end of the day it comes down to you and your ability to use your head, ride to the conditions and your skill level and advance from there. If the gixxer 600 is the style of bike you like go for it, but once you get the hang you'll be wanting a thou, seen that happen a few time.
I went from a cbr250 to a gsxr thou, 4 mates gone from. nsr250 to a zx10, fzr250 to a 900 Fireblade, zxr250 to a zx636 zxr250 to r6, all no worries and have had A LOT of good times.

chris_051, Sep 29, 7:04am
That GSXR600 you are thinking about is a fckn good buy too. Buy it, use a bit of common sense for starters and you wont look back.

ninja_man, Sep 29, 7:08am
wow, very mature comment there. not.

berg, Sep 29, 7:13am
Ride a ER6n or ER6f Kawasaki. 650cc twin and a lovely placid neutral handler. Both Mr and Mrs Berg had the ER6n a step up bike from 250

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:23am
SV 650s arnt that slow, they race them and clean up much bigger bikes all the time. maybe not in top speed stakes. Why is it everything always has to"have more grunt" or "its gutless"on these boards. Not everyone needs or wants a 260 300kph bike/car to fell good about themselves.
When someone asks about X model car/bike with no questions of how fast or powerfull it maybe the first answer tends to be, gutless or to slow. Why!

ninja_man, Sep 29, 7:33am
Iv got a few videos of my ninja if you wanna check them out, just to get an idea of what they're like
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=2wrjImdUCNs

mike77, Sep 29, 7:38am
If your wanted to be safe, and pratical, you wouldn't buy a bike, you'ld get a honda civic.
If you don't mind being croutched over (that is the biggest issue, and can get old pretty quick if it's your daily commuter), and it will carry what you need on it, go for it. Like all the comments above, be sensible, don't be stupid, and you'll be fine.
Personally I went from a CBR250 to a tl1000s, which did take a while to get used to, but I also didn't ride like an idiot.

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:38am
Nice, hazzard central lol, not much room for error.

richard198, Sep 29, 7:41am
As above; make sure your brain remains connected to your right hand!
Excellent bikes!

ninja_man, Sep 29, 7:42am
haha, yeah not much room for error on that road. but fun to ride on

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:47am
Looks very simalier to a road between Dunedin and wiaholafollowing the coast as well. almost thought it was.

fryan1962, Sep 29, 7:48am
As an older guy my bike is around 1000 cc and I do like to give it a bit

Look at resale the bike you like,
If you can control bike,

buyme3, Sep 29, 7:52am
i stepped up from a range of 250s to an 06 gsxr600 and love it, yes they are a big power change to get used to but easy if your sensible and the confidence you get from the modern brakes and suspension was biggest thing i noticed, i find it very forging, nimble round town and if your inclined can do anything you want. end of day its your money, get wat you like for the money you can afford