Faulty car 2hrs after purchase

Page 2 / 3
andrea_w, Oct 31, 5:28am
The seller DID list the problem in the auction description

"All the usual Subaru features"

This one has the factory blown head gasket.

I've got zero sympathy for the OP. chooses possibly the worst second hand car to buy, doesn't get it checked out and surprise surprise something is wrong with it - and now wants a refund.
Should have had a pre-purchase inspection done. That "large" cost for a PP inspection back before you bought it I bet seems like a very small cost now.

r15, Oct 31, 5:39am
lol @ OP's fail.

private sales on cheapies are for people in the know.

the rest should go to dealers / get smart

bellky, Oct 31, 5:41am
you sound lovely YEAH RIGHT!

taipan4, Oct 31, 5:41am
last 5 words say it all LOL

bellky, Oct 31, 5:46am
i hope you get ripped off!

bellky, Oct 31, 5:47am
thaipansy

gabbysnana, Oct 31, 5:49am
I help people take claims to the DT for the same thing, you have no claim against the seller for all the reasons given above. You did a major fail and would be laughed out of the DT.

bellky, Oct 31, 5:51am
gabbysnana - lolololololololoololol

lol

bellky, Oct 31, 5:53am
gabbys nana - best user name ever!

goron56, Oct 31, 6:04am
IRONTITE works

mugenb20b, Oct 31, 7:24am
That's a classic sign the seller is hiding something. OP, this is where you were suppose to 'read between the lines'.

tgray, Oct 31, 8:03am
"permanent head gasket fix' from super cheap auto.
The big difference is it's the only one compatible with coolant, so no need to drain the system, just add.
Not cheap at $85, but worth a try.

icemans1, Oct 31, 8:10am
'a fool and their money are soon parted'

jason18, Oct 31, 8:56am
Flick some iron tight in it. did it.with an old p10 primera. Pretty sure its still running. 2.5 subarus seem to come standard with head gasket issues haha.

fish1963, Nov 4, 10:15am
hi,i've had many dealings with these cars.
irontite and other quick fixes don't work on the 250 subaru.
only fix is engine out,new multi layered head gaskets,new tork to yield head bolts,plane the heads if not cracked,and sandstone the block.

caleb6661, Nov 4, 10:39am
id take fishes and get that much back from the seller or else take him to the disputes tribunal as silence is also misleading so he was misleading by avoiding those questions fill the tribunal forms out show the seller them filled out to see you should be able to get $400 off them to save them from not knowing if there up for the lot at the tribunal.

scoobeey, Nov 4, 10:51am
fishy seems to know when cambelt done and other bits of the car condition etc but "Owner away: when asked if uses any water mmm

bubbles244, Nov 4, 6:39pm
yeah.wouldn't touch em aye. the subaru's that is

tandj3, Nov 4, 7:40pm
not 100% sure, but I think when you buy a car privately you are protected for 7 days by some consumer law, there is a place here in chch in hornby that deal with this kind of thing, will try to find out more about it, but as someone suggested if you ring CAB they might know more. good luck Poster #1.

eagles9999, Nov 4, 7:55pm
You are far from 100% sure. But I like your style of dreaming. CAB wont want a bar of it.

curlcrown, Nov 4, 11:18pm
$1200. At that price you take a chance. Unreasonable to expect a refund.

hutchk, Nov 5, 12:09am
I'm 100% sure there is no such law.

elect70, Nov 5, 12:39am
Doesnt cost $1200 for a head gasket .Just do it then car will be all good. Cant expectperfect condition at that age in a subaru . Why waste a day at DT& even if you winthey may not refund .

gwr1, Nov 5, 7:49am
Do a compression test on motor when hot and see which head has blown,It will be on the side with lowest reading.Pull off the head and go to wrecker for replacement and buy new head gasket and put em on yourself.A head gasket cannot just blow -the head has to warp or crack first.A water hose has started leaking and by the time driver noticed the water level had dropped and head most likely warped thru over heating or cracked or both.

_peas, Nov 5, 6:21pm
There are many things wrong with that auction.The fact that the car is covered in cobwebs is the first sign for me.Anyone with half a clue or interested in getting the best price would have spent 10 mins washing it before taking photos.It just says neglect to me. I would bet that oil changes have been non existent, and tyres were replaced when WOFs were failed rather than when they stopped performing properly.