New 2.5L Triton, blowing turbo!

moca_lee, Oct 26, 8:13pm
Hi there, we are on the look out for a triton, we've been told that the new 2.5L tritons are blowing their turbos when towing alot, has anyone heard about this!

studio1, Oct 26, 8:15pm
Why are you looking for a Mitsi! What's the attraction, given their poor reliability history!

moca_lee, Oct 26, 8:34pm
we have a navara and the back seat space is shocking, the only reason why we looked at them was because of that, is there any other double cab ute that has decent back seat space!

doublek, Oct 27, 12:23am
Have you got a link to the site(s) that are reporting this! I heard the new 2.5 was a good improvement on the 3.2.
Cheers

vtecintegra, Oct 27, 1:08am
Have you checked out the VW Amorok! They're supposed to be pretty descent inside

ezekiel67, Oct 27, 4:03am
Bollocks.

savanna71, Oct 27, 5:59am
+ 2

elshaun, Oct 27, 5:51pm
+ 3

m16d, Oct 27, 6:03pm
Blowing turbos. Good god where do people get this stuff from.
Mine's going strong, and yes its got plenty of back seat space.

mugenb20b, Oct 27, 11:39pm
I sevice these vehicles on a regular basis. No problems with them.

ezekiel67, Oct 28, 12:16am
I've spent a lot of time in both the 3.2 and new 2.5 and have never heard of or had a problem with the engine.

Someone has been telling you porkies.

phillip.weston, Oct 28, 1:25am
guys guys you must clearly be all WRONG! I have heard from my cousin's boyfriends mother that they are shit so they must all be! Also don't forget that ANY car that starts with M is rubbish.

bae13, Oct 29, 7:56am
got mine in december last year, i have towed a car on a trailer about 20 times to auckland and back (wellington - meremere) tows really well can keep doing over 100 up the mungaweka hill!
they dont have the pep of a bt50 or hilux but they appear to be more tourqe'y ( well i think they are )
anyway if your turbo blew you have to remember it has 10year warranty so why should you care ( apart from not having the vehicle till its fixed), but mitsi will get you home and pay costs.

moca_lee, Oct 29, 7:04pm
really good to hear, was getting worried there for a bit, it was a car sales man, he must have a 3.2L he wants to sell really bad

mrcat1, Oct 29, 11:02pm
So the 3.2 are also turbo, what difference is it going to make on engine size whether one is going to pop or the other! The thing that will make any turbo's life shorter is not changing oil on a regualr basis and make sure you use a high quality oil, latest spec oil. And not letting them warm up or more importantly letting them wind down after driving, idle them for at least 2 minutes around town or 3-4 if towing. Better still fit a timer, there will be muppets on here that will tell you different but if you follow these simple rules you will never have turbo problems, you actually have to be pro active in maintaining the life of a turbo.

franc123, Oct 29, 11:31pm
Good grief peeps since when have car salespeople or anyone else for that matter with clean fingernails been a credible source of tech info and what goes wrong with motor vehicles!You wouldn't ask a RE agent about the intracacies of house construction and building problems either, salesman are only concerned with shifting what they've got on the yard, paying their own bills and making sure the stocks of white shoe polish and hair gel aren't running too low.The reality is that if the vehicle has an excellent service history and hasn't obviously been abused then there is little to go wrong with the turbo, generally speaking.Personally I've always thought that if the manufacturer saw the need to fit one then the motor is too small for its intended application anyway but each to their own!

mrcat1, Oct 29, 11:38pm
Odd idea, the largest piston engine in the world at 109,000 hp and it is turbo charged, maybe they should build a bigger naturally aspirated one as the 14 cylinder one only weighs 2300 tonnes.

franc123, Oct 29, 11:42pm
I am referring to cars and LCV's as opposed to Maersk container ships here!When the difference in construction can be tonnes or even hundreds of tonnes that is a different thing.

phillip.weston, Oct 31, 3:16am
in the case of diesels turbochargers make them more efficient. If you build them bigger in displacement then almost certainly the physical size and weight of the engine increases dramatically too. Why have a big heavy N/A V8 diesel when a lighter and compact 3L turbo-diesel does the job better would actually be less expensive to maintain!

Same goes with petrol passenger cars - a smaller capacity turbo engine can often be just as powerful if not more powerful than a larger capacity N/A engine, be just as fuel efficient and cheaper to maintain.

bae13, Oct 31, 6:14am
agree with phillip.weston on that, also diesel technology now can be more efficent that the greeny hybrid cars. turbo the diesel andyour starting to rival the acceleration of a petrol

franc123, Oct 31, 6:41am
Agree to disagree, undersized turbo engines do not live as long as what a N/A engine of the correct size will, a larger engine is under far less stress and has greater potential for economy because of being under less load the majority of the time.If you put for example a 2L-T Surf and a 1HZ Landcruiser back to back which engine is going to live longer when subjected to similar treatment and maintenance!Or before a head or head gasket needs attention!The answer is obvious.Its only in recent times that TD's have begun to rival petrol engines of similar size in terms of their overall performance, and thats largely due to CR technology in conjunction with a turbo, not just by having a turbo added.

n3d4sp3d, Jan 21, 9:51am
what a load of crap I work at mitsi an have never herd of a triton either the old 3.2 or new 2.5 blowing turbos, as mentioned above unless a turbo is thrashed from cold the oil isn't changed as per manufactures spec and if it is left to spool down it will last the life of the vehicle.