Water/Meth injection on a turbo diesel engine

Page 1 / 2
goraz, Jan 26, 9:37pm
I am contemplating installing a kit on my 1HD-FT and have done abit of research, just wondering if anyone out there has experimented with this sort of setup or are willing to share views/experiances.Cheers

gadgit3, Jan 26, 9:49pm
Not played with water injection but have service some diesel engines with LPG tacked on the side. They went very well.

danni_2254, Jan 27, 12:46am
Meth is pretty expensive, I havn't had any experience with it.

intrade, Jan 27, 2:52am
I advise you to forget about it . Your title Water. only people who can drive on water are ones who smoke to much dope. A Diesel engine is a oil-burner no ifs or buts.

doggitt, Jan 27, 2:54am
What would water do for a combustion engine!

muroneal, Jan 27, 2:59am
H20 spray increases compression due to water changing to steam.

I've heard wrapping tubing around your exhaust and using mineral oil. The miniral oil turns to gas from the heat and effectively you could get 2000km to a litre. It was an old Popular Science/mechanics thing.

doggitt, Jan 27, 3:01am
So all you need to do it inject extra fuel to heat the water as well as push the pistons up and down.

intrade, Jan 27, 3:02am
rust it out thats what water does. I am replacing a piston on a engine that had water in the tank injected thru injector seezed engine and Rings are stuck with no compression.Water has lost noting what so ever near any combustion engine unless it is specifically built for it .
like there are engines with teflon lined chambers and ceramic pistons and stainless exhaust running hydrogen.

rocky0169, Jan 27, 3:03am
Water spray into the inlet manifold helps with fuel atomization and cools intake charge before it enters the cylinder. Its old trick used in the 80's on many of the v8 falcons and holdens.

intrade, Jan 27, 3:05am
yea but not on a diesel.

intrade, Jan 27, 3:09am
Deisel run on any form of oil rudolf diesel and that other guy Herbert Ackroyd-Stuart
made the engine for peanut oil. petroleum was not knowen off back then diesel fuel only came as they found no use for the byproduct and discovered that that can be sold to run diesel engines.

the-lada-dude, Jan 27, 4:52am
hi there goraz,
yes a mate of mine has water/ alc ( 50/50 mix )injection on his tubo intercooled diesel landcruiser.
he reconned it had more grunt.
the true test was a dyno run.
the water/ alc injection gave a 5% gain in hp.

c.c.d, Jan 27, 5:01am
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/dieselmax/

Check this Diesel with Aquamist !
Regards Andrew

intrade, Jan 27, 5:31am
lmao i add some nos to a diesel and there is 150% more power instantly. or chiptune any tdi volkswagen simply gain 25% permanent more hp. like i said a waste of time and money unless the engine is fully built for it .

rocky0169, Jan 27, 5:42am
. probably give a different affect on a compression ignition engine!

intrade, Jan 27, 5:56am
yea well to gain power on diesel you need more oxigen cold air contains more oxygen nos is optimal for that task danger is melting pistons its only good for boost but gives phenomenal power instantly
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Hr4tnQJZdOc

rocky0169, Jan 27, 5:57am
awsome!

jamzie, Jan 27, 9:02am
maybe look into lpg injection!

NZTools, Jan 27, 6:53pm
Basic firefighting priciples. Water turning to steam will absorb energy from hot gasses, cooling them in the process. As the gasses cool, the they also reduce in volume dramaticly.

This, in a compression ignition engine, or any internal combustion engine, is quite detrimental to performance/efficinency

whitegold1800, Jan 27, 7:26pm
Our tractor takes aquablue which is basically distilled water and urea. Increases hp by about 10%, reduces diesel by 10% and emmissions. Adds another 5% to diesel running cost

thejazzpianoma, Jan 27, 7:39pm
First paragraph is right second paragraph is wrong, so wrong the complete opposite is true. What do you think an intercooler or cold air box does! The answer is much the same as water injection!

Man, I can't believe the armchair experts in this thread knocking something they clearly have no idea about.

Water injection works, its not some sort of hokey snake oil like $12 electric turbo's or HHO. Its also been factory fitted with great effect to the likes of the Saab Turbo and piston driven aircraft engines. It was added as an effective after market item on Diesel trucks in the 60's/70's too.

YES it works in a diesel for the same reasons it works in a petrol. Its particularly good for dealing with over-fueling and EGT especially when doing heavy towing.

YES you can destroy a petrol engine by not setting it up correctly and its even easier to destroy a diesel engine in the same way. I suspect the injection system in the engine intrade is pulling down continued to drip after the engine was shut down which is a common issue.

Setup correctly though there are real tangible advantages to economy, performance and engine longevity. BUT you must set it up properly, my advice is to use a proper electronic controller coupled with a decent injection system with good integrated safety systems.

intrade, Jan 27, 9:15pm
I suspect the injection system in the engine intrade is pulling down continued to drip after the engine was shut down which is a common issue.
no the guy never put a O ring on his diesel tank in the cocpit of his sailboat and water filled the tank untill all that went thru the system was water, water only got injected and then it zeesed up. Took me a while to figure that it was actuarly water everywhere and not diesel. Once i seen the filler plug with still no O ring i said i told you 3 or more year ago that a oring has to be fitted to seal the tank . so a 1$ O ring is going to cost him 1500$ in repair.

intrade, Jan 27, 9:33pm
I would like to know what is the actual Reason for these things you want to do! like what is to suposed to achieve!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 27, 9:39pm
LMAO that would do it!

So this is not even a water injection related issue (as in, intentional controlled water vapor/mist injection), its more of a water ingestion issue. For what its worth, with proper water injection you are only injecting a tiny tiny amount of highly vaporised water into the engine.

The whole reason for using a proper controller is to keep the amount of water injected in the correct ratio to the fuel/air mix. Thats why cheap ass systems that are run off engine vacuum etc are dangerous and often inefficient.

Also, in the case of petrol engines most of the advantage is being able to run really crazy ignition advance, so its important your injection system resets your ignition map to standard if the system runs out of water.

That raises another point, the water injection itself (like a cold air box, intercooler etc) dosn't do much if anything to improve economy/power in itself. What it does do is allow you to tune your engine (turbocharger, ignition, fuel mix, etc) more efficiently than you otherwise could.

Its interesting and useful technology but does need to be treated with respect and done properly. I particularly like it for what canbe done with ignition timing as the effective octane of your fuel with water injection goes through the roof.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 27, 9:41pm
Good point, like anything its better for some purposes than others.