Duty on Cars imported from USA

mig5, Feb 1, 4:22am
Hi, doing all my homework, and from what I understand they wave duty on cars imported from the States. But, checking against the Customs fact sheets, this isn't the case. Can anyone confirm what the actual deal is!

mig5, Feb 1, 4:41am
And does a car need an odometer for importation! If i was bringing in a ratrod without one, would it be an issue!

kazbanz, Feb 1, 4:48am
MIg5 -you WILL pay customs gst on the price you paid in NZ dollars.
To be henost I'd be having a very indepth discussion with the guys who do vehicle LOW VOL certs because theres a bunch of issues I see cropping up.
1)what form of paperwork is available with the car that identifies the caqr how it currenly is.
2) Brakes may need NZ certification
3) Other mods may require NZ cert

all of which may be bullpucky and I'm making mountain outa molehill but best to check first

lookoutas, Feb 1, 4:54am
Type "import usa" into the keyword section - change Date posted: to last year, and click Search.

You'd be game (or something else) to try importing a Ratrod.

neo_psy, Feb 1, 5:44am
There isn't any duty on "cars" as such (motorhomes and whatnot get hit with it), but you will pay GST on:
The Value of the car
The value of the freight (however much that is); and
Insurance (NZC usually use 0.3% of the value of the car)

Plus, technically, if you pay the inland (US) charges, they should have GST as they make up part of the "freight" in Customs' eyes.

I'd look into what Kaz suggests - as you may end up with a car that's only good for decoration

mig5, Feb 1, 5:57am
Hi guys, i have done the 'import' search and read them as they come through, but just want to be sure.
The ratrod is a friend - it's already a bit of a mare as he has title issues. The odometer thing might not be a major, pretty sure they can find one to fit, the title on the other hand.