BMW bike in storage for 35 years

jmma, Nov 13, 6:44am
Thought someone might have a comment on it, like would it be worth buying and storing for another 35 years!

mm12345, Nov 13, 7:24am
I was going to comment.It's kind of neat and unique, but useless except as an investment.And as an investment, you'd have to store it for another 35 years - which isn't much fun .First ride - and you double the odo reading.I've never ridden an R90, but had a guzzi lemans of about that vintage, many decades ago.I think the Guzzi would have been a much better ride.

fryan1962, Nov 13, 7:42am
Good find not for me though

dr.doolittle, Nov 13, 7:46am
I'd be curious to know where & how it was stored.
There dosent seem to be any signs of oxidisation on the alloy or chrome & the stitching on the seat do'sent look like it's rotted.(not in the pics. anyway)
I wonder why it was stored & buy who! What kind of person does such a thing! And for what reason! Did a son buy it the day before he carked it & mum & dad couldnt bear the thought of selling it!

mm12345, Nov 13, 7:55am
From the photos, even the tyres look mint - I'd have expected them to be really cracked - perhaps they are and it just can't be seen.
I agree - the story about this bike might be more interesting than the bike itself.

magicmat, Nov 13, 8:04am
Wow that is really cool! If I had already won lotto I think I would buy that just for the WOF sticker (is that what is it, or registration!) on the plate! Love it!

jmma, Nov 13, 8:10am
Umm, Rego sticker (o:

catweazle, Nov 13, 9:34am
I once bought a Honda 90 step through scooter that was 20 years old and had only done 350 kms. I put a new battery in it and it was just fine.

A man bought it new for his daughter - rode it a few times and then left it in the dad's garage - the garage was full or the father's various motorbikes. I bought it off the man's widow for $1,000 - she was selling all his bikes.

redmouse, Nov 13, 9:47am
Ive just found a 1958 Douglas Vespa clearing a deceased estate that has been in a basement for 30 years, it looks nothing like that BMW, looks lke a total revamp of an old machine and the story is to justfy that stupid price tag!

jmma, Nov 15, 8:25am
I Had to ask (o:

Hi there
The bike was bought by an immigrant Dutchman in 1976 but shortly after the purchase it became embroiled in a dispute between him and BMWNZ-so I was informed. Im not sure what this was about. He became incapacitated shortly after this and on his death 10 years later it was sold at auction at Dunbar Sloane. Bought by a lawyer friend of mine who kept it in a shed for almost 20 years with the purpose of selling it off as an investment.
When I heard of this I went to look at it and decided to make him an offer-which he accepted. Since then myself and a friend who is an engineer tidied it up a bit and cleaned out the fuel lines and tank to get the motor going again. Its running well at present but I think it still needs some fine tuning to balance the carbs. The bike is in Masterton with my engineer friend at present.
Greetings

magicmat, Nov 15, 8:33am
Uh thanks. I am showing my age. I vaguely remember seeing these things as a kid.

mrfxit, Nov 15, 8:54am
May not be the case BUT . it's almost the same style of text/ story out of some of those scam emails

ducatiss, Nov 15, 9:12am
Gut feeling is that its way over priced as an investment and there are much better bikes for the money as a ride.Personally, I think hes dreaming.

the_don_61, Mar 5, 1:49pm
Cool bike with a cool story. I brought a car to store once.

Mk3 Cortina XLE TD ozzie made 4.1cc Falcon engine .36,000Km's.I was 2nd owner.Had car in storage.one day we had to do a shuffle of parked cars, parked it on the road side for 1 hour.Yeap you guessed it . A pissed old lady run up the rear of it shunting it into the rear of the holden HQ.did $1800 damage to HQ and only bent front bumper.But the rear was munted.not fixable.R/R tail light was next to rear door handle.