Bmw 540 Questions

danni_2254, Jan 19, 6:39am
Possible issue is petrol going up to $3 / litre

gunhand, Jan 19, 6:42am
When!ouch.

jamstew, Jan 19, 6:45am
but apart from that, any issues with the car itself!

danni_2254, Jan 19, 6:49am
With the current situation in Iran i'd say it could be as early as next year.

jamstew, Jan 19, 6:59am
well if thats the only issue, i think it seems allright
!

robotnik, Jan 19, 7:02am
These are great. I had one for a while. Was more reliable than a corolla!

richard198, Jan 19, 7:10am
High mileage BMW V8s have been known to give problems.
I'd like one, but I'm more inclined to go for the six cylinder ones.
The main issue is blown head gaskets , especially if it hasn't received perfect service and treatment.

robotnik, Jan 19, 7:34am
I'd be concerned the auto might be on the way out at that mileage possibly. Used and reconditioned autos are available for these though.

vtecintegra, Jan 19, 7:44am
The V8 has a different steering setup than the 6 and isn't known for handling as well

chris_051, Jan 19, 7:49am
Beautiful cars with bullet proof engines, never heard anything about headgaskets, but at that mileage you might be looking at brake rotors, suspension bushes, radiator etc, anything typical of mileage and age no matter what make/model. Gearboxes in them are suppose to be life long fluid but I'd budget a trans flush, as well as cooling system service. Things which usually pack up at that age is the dual zone climate control and obd displays which can be costly to fix. You compare any sedan from the era, and nothing will come close to these things, I used to get 8-8.5l/100km on the open rd in mine.

johnf_456, Jan 19, 7:54am
Got a eta on that

the_don_61, Jan 19, 7:57am
still cheaper than water.

zak1998, Jan 19, 12:08pm
Had one once biggest problem is speeding tickets the car just goes and goes all the way to 250 kph so easy

ginga4lyfe, Jan 19, 1:47pm
Unless they breach their self imposed "limit" on how much a barrel can be bought for, it should NOT breach 2.50'ish a liter, but the likley hood that it will is more than likley, Get ready boys and girls, USA is probably going to get nuked by israel and then blame it on Afghanistan as another way to gain access to them for there Lithium and oil deposits ( Scary and way way too farfetched! look at 9/11 and Building 7 , NO building freefalls from a plane hit especially when the buildings were built to withstand that sort of impacts, furthermore, were are the "weapons of mass destruction", the US is a land based on lies, and we all know lies are paper thin, and those fat cats that profit from war by supplying both factions are going to fall right on through it( look at previous iran wars, the us supplied them with the weapons to defend themselves then the us attacked them after all of that to 'quell" a threat, I smell some blatant cow dung if you ask me, and if they played those games then you sure as heck can bet on them doing it again! ) )

hawat, Jan 19, 6:58pm
Bought ours at 51k. The most comfortable, luxurious car. Also effortless performance. There is a youtube clip of a 540 racing a boxster over the alps in France. But 15L/ 100k around town. Never achieved 8.5L even on a trip! Whats your secret chris_51. We will keep this forever. Toys are fun too - sunroof, tvsatnav etc etc. Don't know about a car that has already done 190k tho.

wasser61, Jan 19, 7:22pm
From my friends one, here is the list of things that went wrong in the 3 years he owned it.
2 x Radiators
1 x Engine CPU
The Audio system stopped working
The Drivers Window winder mechanism
The Air -Con Failed
Blown Head Gasket.
And that's all he told me about.
Stunning power, and driveabilty, but they cost a fortune in Repairs and Maintenance. And in the end he sold it for scrap.It was an E39

budgel, Jan 19, 9:08pm
ABS modules can become a problem, but the transmission would be my biggest concern. A good service history andNZ new would be a plus.

Parts are readily available much cheaper on Ebay.

I think they are enthusiasts cars, ie if you get a good one you become an enthusiast.

curlcrown, Jan 19, 9:14pm
by Chritmas of 2009 apparently.

edangus, Jan 19, 10:19pm
Check its not from Singapore. Japan is fine

Lack of legroom in the back (If you have a tall person in the front). Its a bit pricey for 200KM.

jamstew, Jan 20, 2:23am
sorry to keep bouncing cars off you, but you people will have far more collective knowledge than me! Thanks!

richard198, Jan 20, 2:32am
I'm not surprised about the head gasket along with the radiators.
Somebody didn't look after their cooling system!

How much would the CPU be! (He must have paid heaps!)

richard198, Jan 20, 2:40am
No.
If you want a BMW get the 6 cylinder double vanos engine 2.5 or 3.0L between 2000 and 2004 roughly.
The 1.8L will only be disappointing.