Yip it's no biggie.bleed n pump out fluid =no dramas

mugenb20b, Apr 13, 6:50am
5 months later.

therafter1, Apr 13, 6:59am
It's a chrystal clear one lol

juddy1, Apr 30, 8:21am
and! .

chrystalclear1, Nov 13, 1:39am
We have checked all the bulbs and replaced 2 of the same ones (one on each side as one looked dodge.All the other bulbs look fine,yet the icon still stays lit up when your foot is on the brake.I was told to replace them all at the same time perhaps!,or maybe is it a sensor and where is that!,its a 1995 Rav.

kazbanz, Nov 13, 1:44am
Im hearing the word replaced which is all good. But have you had someone stand behind the car with the lights turned on and also with foot on brake pedal!
If notdo that first before going any further.--if all the lights work then theres another issue -if not at least you have the culprit area

chrystalclear1, Nov 13, 1:47am
well we did that and all the bulbs were fine except one that the filament looked at bit dodge so we just replaced the 2 of them,all the lights work fine.Can I be failed for a warrant for this warning icon staying on in the dash even if they all work!

therafter1, Nov 13, 1:53am
Have you checked the fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir !

Arethe bulbs that you are replacing the correct voltage and wattage ! . its stamped into the ends of the bulbs.

High stop lamp is part of the same circuit and quite often I find them with 5 watt bulbs in them instead of 21 watt.

Though usually if the fluid level is low the light stays on until topped up, but the level may be such that a depression of the brake pedal is drawing sufficient fluid to cause the lamp to illuminate.

chrystalclear1, Nov 13, 1:54am
ok just going to check now.

kazbanz, Nov 13, 1:56am
sorry--to clarify--You DID have someone check that all the three brake lights work and the two tailights and number plate lights work!-as in light up

chrystalclear1, Nov 13, 1:57am
brake fluid level says minimum.so i may have to top it up to maximum!

therafter1, Nov 13, 1:59am
That will be a good start.

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 2:00am
What do you think!

chrystalclear1, Nov 13, 2:01am
will go and get some brake fluid.was also thinking i wonder if its a sensor died or something!

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 2:03am
No.and if your fluid level is at minimum, take your car to the garage on Monday morning to check for potential fluid leaks and brake linings.

crzyhrse, Nov 13, 2:05am
Make sure you get the correct sort. DOT4 or DOT5.1 but NOT DOT5.

The fact the level is at the minimum suggests either 1) a leak or 2) worn brake pads on all brakes. There is one other likely option but it's difficult to explain.

In any case, it should be properly investigated.

kazbanz, Nov 13, 2:15am
NO NO NO -- do NOT top it up to maximum. Show your poor mechanic some love and pour in enough to get the fluid level up to maximum of half way.
-Um just to explain. Something has caused the fluid level to drop to minimum
The USUAL cause is that the brake pads/shoes are worn out.if the resevoir is full its not a nice job taking fluid OUT -wjhich you would have to if all the pads are replaced.
If it is a leak somewhere then halfway is going to be enough to last untill monday when a mechanic can check it out for you

therafter1, Nov 13, 2:57am
Not really no, we have a vacuum bleeder and you just remove the head fitting and dip the hose into the reservoir and vacuum all the old stuff out, then I let the fluid go at the bleed nipple when I push the calliper piston back in and after fitting the replacement pads I bleed the brakes to purge the brakes lines of any air that may have gotten into the lines as well as the old brake fluid in the lines, pump up the brakes with short pushes on the pedal and then re-check the reservoir level . it adds about 5 minutes to the job.

mugenb20b, Feb 26, 10:11am
That's the correct way of replacing brake pads + bonus of having fresh brake fluid in the system.