Key not turning in Rav4 ignition

ambo11, Dec 13, 8:01am
1994 Rav, key sometimes takes a few minutes of manipulation to turn in ignition to start the car. Goes in and out okay, just the turning part which is suddenly playing up. Have tried lubricating it, and its not the steering lock, its in park etc.this seems to be a reasonably common Toyota problem, looking on the internet. Question is can a normal locksmith pull it apart and repair it if I take it off! Don't really want to buy a s/h one and end up with two different keys. Cheers

zephyrheaven, Dec 13, 8:04am
Get a new key cut

franc123, Dec 13, 8:05am
Are you sure that its not just the key thats getting a bit worn!Had a similar problem with a 90's Hilux, and also with a Granvia van just recently and a new key cut to the right code, not off the old key and some graphite in the lock sorted it.Yes absolutely if you take the lock off it will able to be rebuilt if the key is OK.

ambo11, Dec 13, 8:08am
cheers guys, key looks to be in really good nick, not overly worn. Does have a number on it so I'll get one cut tomorrow to try anyway. Cheers

fordcrzy, Dec 13, 8:09am
is it a genuine key with a number engraved on to it! you can get a key cut from the key number, and it ill be a new key and not just anew key cut to the old worn out shape. i did this on my mazda and it worked a treat

ambo11, Dec 13, 8:24am
Yep genuine key, will try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

spacies_nz, Dec 13, 9:12am
Ravs have a common problem where the pins inside the tumbler go haywire. Its going to have to come out and be fixed up I think.

It happened to ours, thankfully in the driveway but the locksmith said he gets call outs all the time and in not so convenient places.

mk3zephyr, Dec 13, 9:33am
if in doubt, give it a clout

kazbanz, Dec 13, 7:31pm
I'll second tthat idea as the best suggestion for the first thing to do.

intrade, Dec 13, 7:38pm
if you can get it to turn to acc you can remove the sorrounds of the barrel and there is a pin hole you use a nail and push it in the hole and pull on the key and the whole barral will come out then you can take the whole barrel to locksmith for inspection. only take it to a place whom only does keys and ask them if they are able to inspect and clean it and make a new key . if they dont seem sure then find a other placeto have the job done at Good luck

hosky65, Dec 13, 8:42pm
Had this happened to my 95 commadore the other day, lock smith come out got it apart, new barrel and key cut in half an hour all for a couple hundred bucks. Old barrel was stuffed and full of shit.

sheepey, Dec 13, 10:18pm
NEVER spray lubricant in it, use only graphite.The above info is good, toyota ignitions are very easy to take out and clean.

kazbanz, Dec 13, 11:26pm
ACTUALLY--I have with quite some success used brakeclean to free things up. Because it eveaporates off you can really flood it in there with the little nozzle -often thats enough to shift the dirt and crud out

ambo11, Dec 14, 3:08am
Hi guys, thanks for all replies, had a new key cut off number on old key and it has been faultless since so hopefully that has sorted it. Will get another one cut and locksmith suggested I put original key away somewhere safe as it has the number engraved in it. Cheers for all advice.

zephyrheaven, Dec 14, 7:25am
Invoice in the mail