Which grade of oil is best for a 1994 Rav4

Page 1 / 2
tuttyclan, Jun 10, 1:15am
Been using a 15w-40 but when I start it from cold in the morning there is a rattle from the engine that lasts about one to two seconds.I use a genuine Toyota filter as I have been told non genuine filters dont maintain the oil inside after the engine is turned off this causing rattles on start up.
Would I be better to use a 10w-30 0r a 10w 40.

tuttyclan, Jun 10, 1:19am
Most of the oils I have seen on the market are synthetic oils when looking at the ones with 10w-30,10w-40.
Kilometres are 190,000 and I have only ever used mineral oil in all my cars.

phillip.weston, Jun 10, 2:01am
If it rattles you want a thicker engine to cushion the blow. I would be switching to 15W50 or 20W50 personally. A thinner oil like 10W30 or 10W40 is only going to be making that rattle louder.

phillip.weston, Jun 10, 2:01am
Those 3S engines absolutely love to do their big end bearings in. I don't know what it is about them, sooner or later an S series engine needs its big ends done.

johnf_456, Jun 10, 8:20am
Yup cars need an oil change

sirdoug, Jun 12, 5:12am
Use some Moreys oil supplement available from BNT or Repco. on next oil change.Should shut it up.

mrcat1, Jun 12, 5:15am
The only down side of going to a thicker oil when its colder is it will be slower to get around the engine when it is started cold, and you could possibly end up making it wear faster from not having oil there on cold start up.

tuttyclan, Jun 12, 5:54am
Done the oil change and filter.
Used the same 15w 40 but just a different brand.
The noise was on cold start only and went away in about one second.

zooki007, Jun 12, 6:46am
Try using a genuine oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters drain back the oil, no matter what they say.

johnf_456, Jun 12, 6:47am
Good point but a lot do have the valves now days

zooki007, Jun 12, 6:58am
They don't work like a genuine. And before anyone starts up saying "they are the same", they're not. Genuine are totally different and are much better, plus genuine carry a guarantee for consequential damage. NO aftermarket does!

tuttyclan, Jun 12, 7:22am
Using a genuine filter from Toyota.

audi_s_ate, Jun 12, 7:32am
Our 3sfe Corona I have noticed does take a couple of seconds to have the oil light flick off, no noises or rattles though. I am just using magnatec oil and a cheap ryco (supposed anti drain back) filter. I suspect the reason it takes for the oil to build pressure is because the anti drain back filter doesn't work as it should. Will try genuine next time. Have done 239k - owned since 140kms and have changed oil reasonably regularly. Doesn't use any between changes and still drives as new.

zooki007, Jun 12, 7:37am
The "S" series motors can get blocked oil pick-ups due to poor servicing etc.

johnf_456, Jun 12, 7:38am
True that depends on the situation though, some cars I find are pretty similar. I use to cut filters open at one stage for random curiosity sake occasionally. Has genuine are not exactly easy to get some smaller towns, when you want it then and there.

tuttyclan, Jun 12, 7:42am
Oil light goes out straight away, just a metallic rattle.

audi_s_ate, Jun 12, 7:48am
As an aside I would be reluctant to go to a thicker grade of oil ie from 10w-40 to 20w-50 unless the car is burning it. The cause must be a lack of oil pressure somewhere! Sludge build up! Easy fix just leave the stereo on loud so you can't hear it on start up;)

tuttyclan, Jun 12, 7:53am
Yes its not burning any oil between services and I asked Toyota about using Magnatec 10w-40 and they said the car was too old for it.I do my own oil and filter changes.

carmedic, Jun 12, 7:57am

zooki007, Jun 12, 8:24am
Try it and see where it gets you. They will only offer a free oil filter. Had that exact thing happen to a clients. Ryco only offered another filter even though the filter was proven to be faulty. Only after some expensive lawyer got on the case did Ryco pay up. Was certainly worth all the agro for the client - yeah right. Needless to say they ONLY use genuine filters now and they are a LARGE fleet operator.

Sorry to hijack the thread there for a moment tuttyclan :(
Now back on topic people.

johnf_456, Jun 12, 9:46am
Not all aftermarket filters are bad

audi_s_ate, Jun 12, 7:31pm
Interesting as castrol recommend 10w-30 or 10w-40 for the 3sfe - 1992 onwards.

tuttyclan, Jun 12, 9:32pm
I had a look at their site also, funny because they recommend a 10w 30 and 10w 40 for my Vauxhall Viva HA lol.
It would probably fall out of the car.

carmedic, Jun 12, 11:04pm
Yeah but, no but,
Contradiction much!

iman007, Jun 12, 11:06pm
i have a late model hilux, and that knocks like hell when first started up, after minute or 2, its ok, just the motor, the sales guy told me when i bought it new, that its just the way it is.Dont lose any sleep over it, i dont!