BMW locking system.

rahto, Nov 14, 10:30am
I have a 2001 BMW 330i. and the locking system doesn't work that well. Every time I want to unlock / lock it, it takes about three attempts of pushing the button to do what ever. Sometimes it takes about 10 attempts of me pushing the button to unlock / lock it. I have tried replacing the batteries, and have tried recalibrating it.

I've talked to someone who knows quite a bit about cars, and he said it may be the sensor in the car that is on the piss. and they're very expensive. So I just left it.

I thought though. if I buy a car alarm system, would this override the stock locking system! This would give my car an alarm (it currently doesn't), and this would solve my issues with unlocking / unlocking. Anyone got any knowledge on this!

richard198, Nov 14, 10:52am
So long as the door lock motors aren't your problem then an aftermarket alarm would bypass the factory system. I have installed a few alarms into BMW's. When you turn the key in the driver's door, does it activate all the other door locks okay!

Don't forget to check the factory remote as well.

4piggy, Nov 14, 10:57am
if its a import you have to point toward mirror for remote to work otherwise take remote/key to auto electricain to have it repaired it could have dirty contacts or dry soldier joints

carmedic, Nov 14, 7:39pm
You can test the infrared on the key with the camera on your cell phone, point the camera at the key sensor/sender (by the base of the blade not the red light by the button)if/when it works you??

jsbike, Nov 14, 8:00pm
does it not have a key hole you can stick a key in to unlock the door! much like the ignition.

elect70, Nov 15, 2:12am
My E 36is similarwill lock with the remote but wont unlock, so I just got used todoing it manualy . Auto sparky quoted me telephone numbers to fix it

rahto, Nov 15, 2:44am
OK, thanks for your suggestions - I'll check them out after work.

advantage001, Nov 15, 3:26am
The problem you are experiancing is common with that BMW 3 Series model. Its a fault with the body control module which is located behind the front drivers side kick panel.This controls the central locking and indicators. Its sounds like early stages of it losing its settings.It needs to be recoded. This costs $250 and has to be done by someone who has the ability to reprogramme the system. Can remember who we used to use, but he worked out of his house in Greenhithe.

rahto, Nov 15, 8:36am
Thanks advantage - I was just thinking since my car doesn't have an alarm anyway I should probably get one (which would also fix the locking problem).

If I unlock the drivers' door with the key, it unlocks all the other doors (so what's that meaning - central locking system!). I'm not sure if it was just luck, but I locked and unlocked it using the remote from INSIDE the car and it worked very well. I locked and unlocked it about ten times perfectly fine. But as I said, not sure if that was just luck or not. Since I'm in New Plymouth and there's no official BMW place, I may have to go up to Hamilton, or Palmerston North(!)

bae13, Nov 15, 9:25am
I sort of agree with advantage but I have repaired manyof these. The circuit board relays fail. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself as you can damage the circuit board easy.
The relays are about 25 each and best to replace all in there at the same time

bae13, Nov 15, 9:27am
Also just your local auto sparky should be able to diagnose this issueyou won't need to go to BMW

horsepower7, Mar 5, 4:50pm
most bmw's do that, all ours do, dunno why, they just silly, get an alarm and it will solve your problem